ADVERTISEMENT

Teacher Certification Tests

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
In this article, the former Ft Walton Beach HC/athletic director talked about his difficulty passing the required certification tests.
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/sports/...speaks-future-problem-with-certification-test

Is this a testament to the type and quality of education an athlete gets in college or have the standards increased to a point that only a new college graduate could pass? Is it a reflection of the new core standards high school graduates must attain?

When I went to high school in Missouri many years ago, you were required to take 1 year of math and science, 3 years of english and history, and 4 years of gym. I planned to go to college so I took 4 years of math and 2 of science along with the english and history requirements. Those old standards did not prepare anyone for college. I think what is in place now in Florida is much more appropriate. And, making sure our teachers are certified in all those subjects is important. I'm just not sure why an AD has to know calculus!

Some of the requirements make sense, some don't.

I took that General Knowledge test five years ago, passed it, English, Social Science, and ESE Certification tests I needed the first time I took them. I have a son going through this now.

They can be tough; ESE was by far the easiest. I was worried about the Math portion of the GK test, having gone to a Liberal Arts College and only used Math in Accounting, Business Statistics and some Economics.

What worked for me was buying one of our Math teachers several pints of beer at Irish Pub one Saturday afternoon and she squared me away with formulas I'd need.

It was also intimidating doing a written critique of a poem in the English test, but managed to bluff my way through it with some flowery phrasing.

Last edited:
I know the test that individuals take for the Educational Leadership changed a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the General Knowledge, Subject Area, and Professional Education ones did as well. Pearson (the textbook and testing giant) does not want to see high pass rates because they get more money for each failure. As the article states, the pass rate fell dramatically in the last few years. I don't think it is because we have dumber people trying to become teachers, but rather the test is just harder.

The biggest problems with these tests is there is no real way to know how to improve (at least on subjects areas). If you fail, you don't know why. They are never released to the public. Imagine your child failing a test, but never being given the test back to at least look at the mistakes they made.

More school districts are moving to requiring certain tests to be finished within the first year.

Yeah, I also read that the passing requirements were shorter in Florida than other states. All so you can make less money!

At least before I took the CLAST test to get my AA in Florida, I was able to buy a study book. That was 1994 and I hadn't measure the area of a cone since about 1973. Haven't done it since either!

Many of these coaches have been out of school for 20 years. Are we going to lose some of the best HC/ADs because of this test? That would be a shame. I've always felt I learned as much about life and hard work on a sports team as I did in the classroom.

You won't "lose" anyone who is an experienced coach already as many of them already passed the General Knowledge Test, subject area, and professional ed tests but similar to what happens to Coach Johnson, many younger coaches or new to the state coaches will have a problem passing the test.

Occasionally, you see a player switch from public school to a private school due to the requirement of having to pass the FCAT/FSA at a public school and not passing one at a private school. Occasionally, we are going to see younger teachers and out of staters choose to be at a private school instead of a public school due to the certification requirements.

Good stuff gatorman, I heard that if you fail you really never get the chance to find out what you need to study. That HC/AD above got withing 12 points, it'd be tough if he were missing the same concept in all the tests he took and never knew it.

Choc it reminds me of a course that I took prepping for my Captain's license 35 years ago; There was a salty old dog in there who ran oil rig and tug boats who forgot more than I came to know over the next ten years. He'd been at it for 23 years. His company was making him get a license, and he couldn't pass for the life of him. There's no way to replace that experience on paper. I passed first time, but I'd learned to study in college and grad school.

There is not a field in which the employees do not take tests. I have a friend of mine who is a car salesman for Audi and he takes product knowledge tests every 3 months. If he fails he gets fired. Pharma Reps, Medical Device Reps, and about every other medical worker is tested constantly. Being a teacher is pretty tame compared to some of the other fields out there. This guy will be fine and will pass the test and will probably get a better job.

Failed the professional exam 3 times, only reason I passed was I paid an extra $75 and went to Tallahassee to see my incorrect answers after the third attempt. Passed on the fourth try fairly easy.

OMG, they charged you for that information! Sounds like these certifications are a way for the state education department to make money. Don't know if it will improve the education the children are receiving or not.

It's about money. In urban planning there is the AICP exam to get an AICP after your name. To take the exam you have to be registered with the American Planning Association ($500/year). It's all a joke and a way for the APA to make money.

The tests cost $200 a pop, and once you pass (at least our) district charges you $75 to add it to your Teaching Certificate file.

Like Pipe sez: any profession will bleed you: USCG gives very difficult tests at every step up for tonnage licenses like I've had to have for the last 25 years (You have to score 90% or better on navigation). Back when I got my 500 (Now up to 1600) ton license, I had to take a 2-week Shipboard Firefighting course at Miami-Dade and a Rapid Radar Plotting course in St Pete (Renew that in St. Pete every 5 years, my next is 18). Then after 9-11 they decided we needed a TWIC Card with Homeland Security to operate in US ports ($190 every 5 years and you HAVE to pick it up at a US Port, so I had 180 mile round trip). There was 3rd Class FAA Radio Operator's test and permit; First Aid and CPR cards every two years. There's drug tests - physicals, every renewal.

I can't believe the school charges you to put the certification in your file. Now that is really ridiculous!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT