ADVERTISEMENT

Tampa Bay Tech at Venice

Football941

Feb 23, 2017
In the dark on the Tampa Bay Tech team. I have heard about their QB Penix since last year. Never seen him or the team play. What should someone watching this game know about the visitors ?

Venice played a really good Braden River team this past Friday. Was a really good game. A culmination of recent meeting made this one very electric.

Watching Venice now twice this year, it reminded me of what I saw when Lycoming Univ and Allegany Univ...... went at for a national title at Hawkins Stadium, Bradenton in 1990. In that I saw 2 teams that didn't necessarily impress me talent wise, but played the game with a physical maturity you don't hardly ever see at the HS level. That to me describe Venice to a "T", a team that plays with a physical maturity you don't normally see at the HS level. Tampa Bay Tech appears to have enough flaws in its game at this round of the playoffs to not be able to handle a team like Venice, and Venice should be able to start planning for a home game against STA in the semis!

Go Canes Go!

Venice is definitely physical and one of the best coached teams I've seen. They do more with less talent. I don't know much about Tampa Bay Tech but they are better than I assumed looking at last week's game vs Palmetto.

In the dark on the Tampa Bay Tech team. I have heard about their QB Penix since last year. Never seen him or the team play. What should someone watching this game know about the visitors ?

Venice played a really good Braden River team this past Friday. Was a really good game. A culmination of recent meeting made this one very electric.

Their QB is legit and they have a ton of athletes.. They are a school without borders so they are able to get kids in from anywhere (even other counties in some situations). Lots of speed. Shotgun 4 wide team. Run out of the gun

Watched TBT a bit. They look pretty good. It will be a game of different styles for sure.
Venice is a do more with less type of team. I agree with that.

Seems like this team is like many others Venice has played. Good athletes and good team speed. Should be interesting to watch.

How do they travel as a fan base? It is always great to see a good size crowd.

Watched TBT a bit. They look pretty good. It will be a game of different styles for sure.

Seems like this team is like many others Venice has played. Good athletes and good team speed. Should be interesting to watch.

Honestly, my alumni dont travel that great. Not a very affluent demographic at the school and due to the fact their kids come from everywhere, not much of a true community support.

It will be a good game I beleive. Venice runs the ball so affectively from what i've seen that our defense cant make mistakes or the qb will make then pay. On the other hand, Venice will need to be sure tacklers in theopen field. Tech has about 6 D1 guys on offense

Reactions: peezy28
I take it they have a great defense? Only time Venice didn't score a bunch was vs IMG or rain shortened Riverview game. Carpenter has thrown for I think 37 TDs this year as well.

No the defense has been good in spurts but held due to the offense scoring so much. The defense hasnt played many 4 quarter games. only 3 games this year tech hasnt won by 3 or more tds

8 of the 12 games have ended early with running clocks for Venice. I sure the rain shortened game could have had that happen as well. The loss to IMG well everyone loses that scheduled game.

This sounds like it might be a very entertaining game for sure.

I do not think they will travel well... Not a "Neighborhood" School so to me their base is built from attendees. Plus there are 2 big local games in Vanguard at Armwood and Plant at Lakeland.

Much like palmetto, Venice will need to score 49 or more to have a chance to win.

This was a pretty good game overall. Didn't have that excitement like last week due to the unknown opponent.
The QB Penix has a cannon for an arm. His stats are very impressive. TBT team overall was very talented. To me they came out flat. Maybe on the road maybe something different who knows. Very explosive offense.

This was a pretty good game overall. Didn't have that excitement like last week due to the unknown opponent.
The QB Penix has a cannon for an arm. His stats are very impressive. TBT team overall was very talented. To me they came out flat. Maybe on the road maybe something different who knows. Very explosive offense.
My take was that TBT coaching staff didn't allow Penix do what he does best, and instead kept in the pocket on passing plays and had him handing off to his running backs between the tackles. Both of his long runs came on plays where they got him to the outside, and to be honest I don't think beyond those 2 long runs the coaching staff didn't really put him in position to do that beyond a play or two after that that.

I liked what TBT tried to do defensively, I liked number #19 and # 5 for TBT on defense. What can you say however about the Carpenter and Heiligh pass connection, at times what they were doing reminded me of playing touch football as a kid, where two consecutive completions equated to a 1st down......so you just kept running down and out patterns, because its just hard to cover. I will add this having watched Venice on consecutives weeks on offense. Their formations and motion on those formations are consistently the same for the type plays they run.......(exp QB draw plays, running plays etc...), you would think any 1/2 way good coaching staff would see it too in as far as preparing your defense for the Venice offense.

They waited a year for another shot at STA, so next week Venice will have its chance for redemption .

Go Canes Go!

I'm sure Venice has been working on other plays based out of those formations just for games like this. While the plays they run have worked to this point, STA is not a team like they normally play.

I agree with you as far as the opposing coaches. It seems so simple but maybe its not. I don't coach so I am in no position to question.

Maybe this year Venice STA will be a game. Venice went down to STA and were unprepared for what they saw. This year I think they have done what they could do to set this one up. It will help Venice to be at home once again. Routine can be big for 16-18 yr olds.

Venice out-coached TBT in my opinion. TBT had better athletes but seem unprepared. TBT has a great team but Venice was the better team last night.

#6 is better than advertised for venice. He was the back breaker drive after drive.

His cousin also wore #6 but he played for TBT.
He was the one who took the kick off back for big gain for Tech but a player ran on the field and absolutely drilled the side line judge which resulted in a 15 yard penalty that killed momentum.

Which friend? This should be fun/

I'm not sure what he name was but last year when these teams played he was all about STA. I don't blame him they were very good, still are very good.
I figured I would get one of those threads about them killing Venice again.

The week is young so probably a good chance Ill read one soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT