ADVERTISEMENT

Stats Padding

Bradentonian

Apr 17, 2012
Does anyone see stats being padded by coaches and fathers and any combo of the two? There was a player I will not name who as a sophomore linebacker recorded 169 tackles and four sacks. Oh yeah they only played 9 games. His dad is the head coach, based on these stats he took all area honors from the local paper. That means a whole lot to some folks and the stats are pretty unbelievable given the scores of the games they played.

I've seen coaches exaggerate a player's size. It's really not a good thing because if the player goes to any camp or combine, their real size is revealed. Not a good thing for the high school coach's credibility.

See it all the time. We concern ourselves with winning games not that sort of stuff. Don't lower yourself to that stuff. Those are JOP tackles. Jump On Pile!!

I love the teams that have about 4 starters with a 100+ tackles yet give up about 30 points a game. Seen one school that does it every year !!

Mike Bellamy broke the all time TD record in Florida and hardly ever played after the half in regular season games over three years, sometimes he'd only get 6 carries or so in the cakewalks. But seriously, what's the point?

I watched a Varsity RB from Gulf Coast come down and play against Charlotte's JV while they had a bye week, when my middle son was a youngster. They kept announcing his yardage. Less than a minute left in the game, the kid already had 238 yards rushing, they're up something like 42 -6 on our 4-yard line and they're still feeding him the ball.

He gets the hand-off. And Caaaaraaack, broke his leg getting tackled.

The last thing I saw was the Varsity HC spewing spit all over the JV coach. But hell he thought it was a good idea to send him down too.

This is the very reason I hate that the Heisman Trophy is awarded based on one years' stats. Anyone can control the stats based on who you play on the schedule, how many carries a RB gets, long passes a receiver gets, or TD pass a QB throws. If you pass for a TD every time from the 5 yard line, your QB will have great stats. If you run half the time, he won't.

Comically, Derrick Henry won the Heisman based on the number of carries and yardage he generated this year. Yet, at the Championship Game, the announcers were questioning how high he would go in the draft. They felt teams might think he was used too often and would not last more than a few years. You have to wonder!

Give the award to a player who made the biggest difference on their team and against opposing teams.

Yes, and then when the real stats don't add up to people who have actually seen the games, the same coach's explanation, as he's handing the kid an MVP trophy is, "Stats don't really matter." That's how you give those kinds of accolades to undeserving players.

Think he's referring to your neighbors to the west of you ! Purple and gold and also are the Tigers. Or at least that's who I was assuming he was referring to.

Yes, and then when the real stats don't add up to people who have actually seen the games, the same coach's explanation, as he's handing the kid an MVP trophy is, "Stats don't really matter." That's how you give those kinds of accolades to undeserving players.
Well Mustang Mom. I think the worst type off padding is the non-sense that some parents have padding their brain. I mean some of these parents are out of their Gord. You have to at some point face reality. Stats do not mean a thing, the only things that matter are W & L's while keeping your integrity. I mean if someone in the stands are keeping stats that is sad, and it is even sadder if that individual thinks their stats are more accurate than the stats the press keeps. This is the whole reason stats stink. Mommy and daddy think Johnny had 13 sacks which is school record when in reality little Johnny had 5 sacks. Or mommy and daddy think little Johnny should be a starter, but little Johnny is 5"3 and is lucky to be given the opportunities that he has been given. But, hey time will tell KARMA IS A you know what!!!!

Be the parent of a lineman. No one keeps stats on them. It's all about what you see on the field.

Does anyone see stats being padded by coaches and fathers and any combo of the two? There was a player I will not name who as a sophomore linebacker recorded 169 tackles and four sacks. Oh yeah they only played 9 games. His dad is the head coach, based on these stats he took all area honors from the local paper. That means a whole lot to some folks and the stats are pretty unbelievable given the scores of the games they played.

I know exactly who you're talking about.

I remember a few years ago we coached against one of the top RB's in Broward County. He had shredded us the year before. The following season my buddy and I took over the defense and we made it a mission to stop the kid. We held him to 23 yards on 16 carries. I opened up the paper the next day and it said that he had 130+ yards or something like that.

Many of these coaches lack the integrity to give the paper real stats. They wanna boost their star players rather than just say "this team did a great job of stopping our star player".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT