ADVERTISEMENT

state title games...

FHSAA lucked in for the 5A game both teams traveled well (BMore is Orlando)

You are right. Columbia hosting Viera would of caused problems.

they could have had the 1A finals on saturday, so would not have caused problems also the stadium holds around probley 6k in home side i think and probley 4-5 k on road side plus bleachers in endzone so it is big enough to host it

Here is the thing about current classifications. It does not kid/player any good to play in for example a 5A school with a Private School because all he is going to see is smaller 180-200lbs DLs or OLs. What good does this do him to prepare for college only to see him get beat every down in college. I've seen it too many times already. Its does not private school any good to play down like they are so yes WEIGHT needs to be a factor, big time factor.

I liked Daytona, somewhat centrally located and a stadium that seats 10K. Another venue would be FIU's stadium; seats about 20K.

Lots of suggestions for making more meaningful state championships:
1A: Nothing should be done to fix it, hell, half of 1A fans were in a riot last year because 3 schools were barely above 600 students, but clearly rural. I have argued in the past that the games should be played at Citizen's Field in Gainesville, Columbia High School in Lake City, or Gene Cox in Tallahassee, but the argument of playing in a professional stadium (Citrus Bowl) wins out.

2A: Need to get more teams in 2A. I will come back to this in a minute.

3A: Move public schools from 3A to 4A.
4A: Move private schools from 4A to 3A
5A, 6A, 7A, 8A consolidated down to 3 classifications. Private schools get enrollment weighted by 1.5.

FHSAA needs to take 4 year average rather than a snapshot of one week at the school during FTE week.

Independents: The reality is that many of these independents are small private schools playing insulated conference games against similar type schools. I think the FHSAA should work with them all to create a 2B classification (sans IMG) and allow them to play to a regional championship. Require if a team wins a regional playoff that they must play 2 years in 2A.

Long term, the FHSAA should start doing sports more like the English soccer leagues and allow promotion and relegation. If during a 4 year span you are a 2 time district champs, a 1 time district runner-up, and won 3 playoff games. We add 100 for each championship, 50 for each runner-up and a 100 for each playoff win to the base population of a school. Schools with more success would move up in classifications, schools with no wins in districts would move down.

Gatorman - I agree and think along those same lines.

You can't use any location that has a small visitor side (Gene Cox). You need a location that has equal seating on both sides of the field.

Here is the thing about current classifications. It does not kid/player any good to play in for example a 5A school with a Private School because all he is going to see is smaller 180-200lbs DLs or OLs. What good does this do him to prepare for college only to see him get beat every down in college. I've seen it too many times already. Its does not private school any good to play down like they are so yes WEIGHT needs to be a factor, big time factor.

Dude... there's a name for that it's called pop warner. Weight never has and never will be apart of high school football. If a kid coach or parent are worried about that they are playing the wrong sport my man footall isn't for everyone.

Look at a program from the championships. They list every player on every team from 1A to 8A. The size of the lineman varies so much from one class to another that it would be dangerous to the players to reduce the number of classes.

Also, that 300-student school does everything they can to field a team and many play both ways. There's no way they could compete against schools that can rotate the defense and has no one playing both ways. In fact, the players from the smaller school could suffer severe injuries due to exhaustion. Is that what you're hoping for?
It would not be any more dangerous than it already is to go from eight to six classes.

Another problem the amount of schools. Nowadays, it's a million football teams so the talent is really spread out which leads to watered-down teams. New residential areas, re-districting, etc, have led to many new schools over the past decade.

It seems kids and parents are soft these days... Are we really talking about the size players as a determining factor? IT'S FOOTBALL FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!...

I'm convinced 20 years from now football as we know it will be flag or 2 hand touch.

The class size amendment is/was an unfunded mandate that didn't cause anything to be built. It caused administrators to start putting 100 kids in a PE class and creating electives that didn't fit the amendment that they could also load with kids. They said you have to do this but we are not changing the budget. New Schools are built based on the last years numbers, counties cannot project out growth. That's why most new schools are overflowing the day they open.

Look at a program from the championships. They list every player on every team from 1A to 8A. The size of the lineman varies so much from one class to another that it would be dangerous to the players to reduce the number of classes.

Also, that 300-student school does everything they can to field a team and many play both ways. There's no way they could compete against schools that can rotate the defense and has no one playing both ways. In fact, the players from the smaller school could suffer severe injuries due to exhaustion. Is that what you're hoping for?

If Trenton is fielding 43 on their roster, that's more than a lot of the 3 and 4A schools. Hell, Cocoa fields around 35 average every year and many play both ways the entire game with an enrollment of around 1000. Yes, they are beat up by the time the Playoffs roll into the regional round, but you can't use playing both ways as an excuse for not moving up a class. Some schools just love the blow outs and would never consider moving up even though they have a different set of enrollment rules... STA comes to mind, Trinity Jax comes to mind, AHP comes to mind... You can add a few Miami Dade schools to the lists since the schools are so close that students get to pick what school they want to play football for.

Suck it up and play some competition instead of seal clubbing the innocent.

Reactions: Zoe Boy and peezy28
My taxes went up, didn't yours? That was paying for the new schools. The entire state paid and only those counties that were not meeting the class size requirements got new schools built.

Okaloosa County already had a class size provision in their teacher contracts. It was only one or two students off the state numbers. They didn't get a single new school for years. Actually, they closed a few more old ones in the south because more people were moving to Crestview. It looks like they now have a few new elementary schools in Crestview. The Army Special Forces brought in 12,000 more troops and countless family members

You think other districts have trouble projecting attendance. Try living in a military community. They live and die by Pentagon decisions!

Local Millage rates are the primary taxes that go towards building new schools, these are local taxes and have nothing to do with state laws/amendments. There was no statewide tax increase associated with the class size amendment, it got $0 funding, schools that didn't meet the requirements faced penalties those that met requirements got nothing. Sounds like your district was ahead of the curve in planning for it which is much better than most.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT