ADVERTISEMENT

state title games...

I hate Brighthouse having the K for TV. It's complete BS. All cable carriers and dish systems carry sunsports. Now you have to subscribe to Brighthouse to see the games. Complete horse sh*t. Hope the FHSAA comes to their senses one day.

I hate Brighthouse having the K for TV. It's complete BS. All cable carriers and dish systems carry sunsports. Now you have to subscribe to Brighthouse to see the games. Complete horse sh*t. Hope the FHSAA comes to their senses one day.
All about the dollars. If Sun Sports wanted to give the FHSAA the money, they'd take it.

So if you are the FHSAA how do you get more interest in these games? Attendance is not on par with the other state championships from elite HS Football states and I'm sure viewership isn't either. I think there is a lot of opportunity and am just curious what ideas you guys have?

If the game is on t.v., the numbers will not go up in attendance. They should show the games on t.v. at least a week after the game is played. They used to do that back in the day on Sunshine Sports. It sucks, if you can't make the game but it gets people to the game if they really want to see it live.

Brighthouse shows the games only in the area where they are being held. So, FHSAA is making it easier for locals to NOT attend. Plus, two of the four games are in the daytime when parents are working and child are in school. How much does that limit attendance?

Family members and loyal school supporters are going to travel, if they can. Many cannot. Having the option to watch on TV hundreds of miles away will not decrease attendance. It will just mean fans who cannot travel will watch the game rather than listen to it on the radio.

A better option would be to offer it to all Florida cable providers for a fee. FHSAA will still get their money and more fans will see the games.

So if you are the FHSAA how do you get more interest in these games? Attendance is not on par with the other state championships from elite HS Football states and I'm sure viewership isn't either. I think there is a lot of opportunity and am just curious what ideas you guys have?

The FHSAA doesn't really care about increasing interest or attendance as long as they can get their advertising dollars (trumps ticket sales in Florida). Unfortunately though the best attendance of state games happened when the games were in Miami with Local teams.... No one but folk in Miami want them to go back that route BUT that is one way to increase attendance.

More exposure will mean more people. We aren't talking crowds that will ever exceed 20K even for the most marquee matchup. But there should be at least 5-10K in attendance for the larger school games and I'm not really seeing that anymore.

Out of sight out of mind in my opinion. If these were live and broadcast on Sunsport or Fox you'd have more people showing up again just because of greater exposure and advertising.

And I agree that afternoon games on Friday make zero sense. First of all, there are far too many classes. We need to get back to 5. At the MOST 6. That would allow for one on Friday night and two on Saturday. Problem solved.

If you have 1000 people show up for the very small classes, what is the point of having all of these games? If you make the road tougher and have less finals, there will be much more fan interest.

More exposure will mean more people. We aren't talking crowds that will ever exceed 20K even for the most marquee matchup. But there should be at least 5-10K in attendance for the larger school games and I'm not really seeing that anymore.

Out of sight out of mind in my opinion. If these were live and broadcast on Sunsport or Fox you'd have more people showing up again just because of greater exposure and advertising.

And I agree that afternoon games on Friday make zero sense. First of all, there are far too many classes. We need to get back to 5. At the MOST 6. That would allow for one on Friday night and two on Saturday. Problem solved.

If you have 1000 people show up for the very small classes, what is the point of having all of these games? If you make the road tougher and have less finals, there will be much more fan interest.
Florida should have msgvarsity.com like NJ and NY do...Great games and the streams and announcers are excellent..

The 1A semi final attendance between Trenton and Madison County was around 6,000. If you want more attendance you need to hold the championships in a local setting. If Trenton vs Port Saint Joe was held in Tallahassee at FSU i would be willing to bet that the attendance would have been north of 7,000. It makes sense for 1A to be some where else other than Orlando but i am not sure about the other classes.The attendance last weekend for the 1A game was around 2700

RR, I agree 1A should become more local... Even with the 3 soutern teams if the game is held at a fairly niced sized Venue but closer to the North Attendance will be much better for 1A.

I am willing to bet 1A already had more than 2A and 3A. I am not sure what 4A was but I imagine at least Raines brought some fans.

Reactions: 181pl
The 1A semi final attendance between Trenton and Madison County was around 6,000. If you want more attendance you need to hold the championships in a local setting. If Trenton vs Port Saint Joe was held in Tallahassee at FSU i would be willing to bet that the attendance would have been north of 7,000. It makes sense for 1A to be some where else other than Orlando but i am not sure about the other classes.The attendance last weekend for the 1A game was around 2700

Agreed, put 1a in Tallahassee at FAMU, Gen Cox or Doak

Put 7a and 8a at FAU or FIU

Why not split the state north and south, go back to 6 classes, and have the championships in Tallahassee and Miami?

The only problem I see is there are not many 8A and 7A teams north of Orlando. Some 6A may have to play much larger schools.

I would like to see six classes. Two private and four public. Split them evenly across the board. Remove the centralized title games. Let the schools host the finals. Rotate it just like you do the semi-finals. You can still televise the games.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why my idea is a bad one, but this is what I would do in a perfect world.

I would like to see six classes. Two private and four public. Split them evenly across the board. Remove the centralized title games. Let the schools host the finals. Rotate it just like you do the semi-finals. You can still televise the games.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why my idea is a bad one, but this is what I would do in a perfect world.
The kids actually love playing in the large stadiums. It may look sparse from a fan's perspective and you lose that impact you'd get from a packed house but most will tell you the experience of of playing in the larger venue is something they look forward to.

1A needs to be in Lake City. Stadium holds 10,000. As close as you can get for being in the middle. Great Stadium and field is in great shape.

I don't think any schools should host the finals. It should be at a neutral site. And, I've been to Columbia's stadium (if that's what your referring to.) It's not that big. I would rather see the games in a college stadium. It's an experience the players will never forget!

With added seating in both endzones it hold 10,000 easy.Would you rather see 3,000 folks watch Trenton and PSJ play in a empty Citrus Bowl or 10,000 watch them play in a packed house game with tons of atmosphere.

Reactions: jgking83 and 181pl
This year Columbia was still playing so that would not have worked. I do agree that 1A should be moved to Tally so the folks in the panhandle wont have to travel 6 hours, It's the same travel time Orlando or Tally for any of the teams in dist 6 or 7 and most of 5 would be closer

They should play the state game at the higher seed's home field. Old School

This year Columbia was still playing so that would not have worked. I do agree that 1A should be moved to Tally so the folks in the panhandle wont have to travel 6 hours, It's the same travel time Orlando or Tally for any of the teams in dist 6 or 7 and most of 5 would be closer
You are right. Columbia hosting Viera would of caused problems.

I agree that state games played in empty monoliths should be a thing of the past. Tampa was going to build a 20K seat stadium for soccer a few years back but it fell through. That would have perfect. The right size and fairly central. I completely agree that the rural class final should be played somewhere in N. Florida. They would pull 7-10K easy.

I'm sure the FHSAA likes things centrally located so they only have to deal with one site, but it sucks for most everyone else. I'd like to see it rotated. A year in S. Fla., a year in Tampa, a year in Orlando, a year in Jax, etc.

As long as the FHSAA gets the big money sponsors they could care less if 25 people are in the stands (see 2A). It's all about the money to those guys.

Reactions: WRONG ARM
They obviously aren't worried about the schools who have to raise a bunch of money to make the trip ! They tell them they have to play in a neutral site stadium then don't help them at with cost ! Yet they're the first ones to get their cut from gate money and sponsorship money ! Yea FHSAA is all about the kids ............ I could go on but my blood pressure is to high already .

Titles need to stay in Orlando. You won't be complaining when the city works magic in the citrus bowl area... It's also a central part if the state with highway access.

Of course thats your opinion, u live there. The ride isnt bad for us Tampa folk, but it sucks for the panhandle, s. Fla and sw fla. FHSAA needs to spread the wealth. They'd get bigger crowds and more interest. When 100 people are in the stands and the game is televised on a boutique network these "big money " sponsors won't last long.

FYI and probably of no help to the OP, but 5A, 6A & 8A title games will be televised live on Cox Sports channel (Cox cable, FL panhandle). 7A - tape delayed broadcast on Sunday afternoon. At least according to Cox's onscreen guide.

I bet the 6a game gets less than 3k. Fhsaa lucked out with osceola and bm in 7a and 5a.

Lots of suggestions for making more meaningful state championships:
1A: Nothing should be done to fix it, hell, half of 1A fans were in a riot last year because 3 schools were barely above 600 students, but clearly rural. I have argued in the past that the games should be played at Citizen's Field in Gainesville, Columbia High School in Lake City, or Gene Cox in Tallahassee, but the argument of playing in a professional stadium (Citrus Bowl) wins out.

2A: Need to get more teams in 2A. I will come back to this in a minute.

3A: Move public schools from 3A to 4A.
4A: Move private schools from 4A to 3A
5A, 6A, 7A, 8A consolidated down to 3 classifications. Private schools get enrollment weighted by 1.5.

FHSAA needs to take 4 year average rather than a snapshot of one week at the school during FTE week.

Independents: The reality is that many of these independents are small private schools playing insulated conference games against similar type schools. I think the FHSAA should work with them all to create a 2B classification (sans IMG) and allow them to play to a regional championship. Require if a team wins a regional playoff that they must play 2 years in 2A.

Long term, the FHSAA should start doing sports more like the English soccer leagues and allow promotion and relegation. If during a 4 year span you are a 2 time district champs, a 1 time district runner-up, and won 3 playoff games. We add 100 for each championship, 50 for each runner-up and a 100 for each playoff win to the base population of a school. Schools with more success would move up in classifications, schools with no wins in districts would move down.

State Championships should all be played the same weekend and football should be allowed to be played on Sundays, especially since the Citrus Bowl isn't used on Sundays. For 1-4A, either allow two weeks of prep for first game or state championship game.
One ticket should get you into all the games in a day and they should use those fingerprint readers like Disney World used to allow for re-entry. That way I don't give my ticket to a fan coming for a later game. It also allows me to leave if I would rather go to Hooters than see a predicted blowout.

Imagine a football weekend in Orlando where
Friday at 4 pm: 2A
Friday at 8 pm: 6A
Saturday at 12pm: 3A
Saturday at 4 pm: 1A
Saturday at 8 pm: 7A
Sunday at 12 pm: 4A
Sunday at 4 pm: 5A
Sunday at 8 pm 8A

And while nobody cares the FHSAA should have Lakeland host the boys and girls championships all on 2 days.

Saturday
1A Boys/Girls 8:00 am, 10:00 am
3A Boys/Girls 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm
5A Boys/Girls 4:00 pm, 6:00 pm
7A Boys/Girls 8:00 pm, 10:00 pm

Sunday
2A Boys/Girls 8:00 am, 10:00 am
4A Boys/Girls 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm
6A Boys/Girls 4:00 pm, 6:00 pm
8A Boys/Girls 8:00 pm, 10:00 pm

Gatorman, I agree with all championships in one weekend and one price to cover all games. The one time I traveled to the championships, I had full intent of seeing every game. Why else take a 6 hour trip?

There is no reason to empty the stadium after each game. If you want to go to one game or all of them, you pay the same price. This will encourage fans to watch all games.

It figures Cox in the panhandle would cover the games live when I no longer live there and that area has no team playing!

Long term, the FHSAA should start doing sports more like the English soccer leagues and allow promotion and relegation. If during a 4 year span you are a 2 time district champs, a 1 time district runner-up, and won 3 playoff games. We add 100 for each championship, 50 for each runner-up and a 100 for each playoff win to the base population of a school. Schools with more success would move up in classifications, schools with no wins in districts would move down.[/QUOTE]
That makes zero sense, by your point system a team like Trenton with an enrollment of 300, you would have us playing 5A, Sorry that dog wont hunt

How does a school of 300 field a roster of 50? An 8A school, by comparison, would have 500-600 kids in their football program.Trenton must have benefitted from an "if you build it, they will come" model. LOL.

Reactions: FMMG
Who said 50? If you check you will 43 and several of those are 9th graders . Besides what hell are you talking about and what does this have to do with what Gatorman was stating.

Look at a program from the championships. They list every player on every team from 1A to 8A. The size of the lineman varies so much from one class to another that it would be dangerous to the players to reduce the number of classes.

Also, that 300-student school does everything they can to field a team and many play both ways. There's no way they could compete against schools that can rotate the defense and has no one playing both ways. In fact, the players from the smaller school could suffer severe injuries due to exhaustion. Is that what you're hoping for?

Just a big roster for such a tiny school. But congrats on building a great program. They (great programs) attract kids. It's a credit to your school.

Reactions: FMMG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT