ADVERTISEMENT

South Ft Myers situation playing out hard

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
This is reminiscent of the sad situation at Manatee a few years back.

The principal was moved over the summer, Head Coach Dixon and an assistant fired right before their pre-season game, and the AD resigned last week. There was a very emotional schoolboard meeting with kids wearing shirts in support of the coach.

One young man, fighting back tears was pretty eloquent: “I was coached four years to tell the truth, to show character, to show integrity and to stand up for what I believe in. I believe this man has been wrongfully persecuted. This is a man who has donated so much of his time to myself and my teammates. And I can’t thank him enough. When you have a family as a son or daughter, you have to love them. But when you find someone that loves you that’s not a family member, that’s special. And that is coach Dixon.”

Another parent, however claimed in the papers the coach told the kids who were being questioned what to say and was trying to protect some of his best players.

This got ugly. But when the even uglier act that precipitated it, happened last spring, we knew it would.

Yes, you knew this kind of fallout was coming. Very sad for the players who were not involved in that mess.

In a way, I think the athletic department took the fall for failures of the administration. Was the coach directed to tell the players what to say?

The whole thing is very ugly. Where were the adults? Would the same thing have happened off campus? Had it already happened? She was a victim of human trafficking.

Complicated issue, you'll have to look up some of the articles. The AD resigned in protest, he wasn't fired. The district stepped in and moved the Principal. The HC was also a school security guy, claimed he let two kids go to the restroom, and one to drop off an assignment then took lunch, while the deed was going on in the bathroom. That school board has some issues. Lots of teachers and administrators commenting on NBC 2 articles.

Ok, I read the timeline. So the issue is that he did not turn over supervision of the study hall to any one individual and none took ownership. I'm curious why the interim coach was not disciplined. He was at fault also. I also wonder why these boys weren't taken to the field house. It sounded like the actual school day was over. And, it sounds like none of the coaches are actual teachers. Why is that?

What a shame!

The school board can legally release their investigative reports today. All of the speculation can end. Smart money says the coach's firing had little to do with things he could not reasonably have prevented (as most of his supporters have alleged). Nu'Trelle predicks he was terminated due to deliberate actions he took after the fact.

What really irritates me is how long it took to take action. Now these players have an inexperienced head coach. And, we're still not sure if he will keep his job.

If your son is a senior on that team and trying to get offers, the actions of these players and these coaches have cause major damage. I just hope the best for all the seniors. It's going to be a rough year!

I guess there's due process too. It sucks for the decent kids on that team who weren't part of it, but if it was 25 football players involved, well that's not exactly going to win them any character awards.

I went back and reread the game coverage from Naples Daily, which as the writer duly noted did say a lot:

"FORT MYERS — Speculation swirling that a slew of South Fort Myers High School football players were involved in an after-school Tuesday incident involving allegations of multiple male students having sex with a 15-year-old girl in a school bathroom apparently were dead wrong. Although there have been reports of suspensions, apparently none of them are players — at least evidenced by the fact that everybody on the varsity roster was dressed for Friday night's spring game against Charlotte that was delayed by lightning for about 45 minutes.Like everyone else employed at the school, second-year Fort Myers coach Anthony Dixon wouldn't comment on the situation, but when a reporter pointed out all his players were dressed, he grinned and winked. That said a lot"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT