ADVERTISEMENT

Sota Coach

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Saw the H-T article that says you had some guys come over (or return) from Braden River,. Also, you got a new OC, one of my old favorites who called for Manatee, Brion Carnes.

And damn, 30 Seniors! Maybe this is the Sailor's year.

Don't have the inside information on what happen with Brion at Manatee, but for a 1st year OC......... I was impressed and thought he showed promise!!! I'm glad he got a chance to find a place to land on his feet with another Manatee alum HBC Spencer Hodges. You've had talent leaving Sarasota for a few years now, putting a stop to that leak would be a move in the right direction for the Sarasota Program. Last time I stayed in the area, I was disappointed in what has become of the Bradenton Herald and Sraresota Herald print editions........probably more so with the Bradenton Herald, I've resisted subscribing to the online version of either publication. I'll probably have to put principle to the side in reality if I want any local information on the local HS football scene......and pay the fee's before the games start being played......

As another side note, John Booth's brother James left Manatee a couple of years ago to become the HBC at Plant City. James is a Manatee alum as well and in year two had himself a pretty good football team last year, just barely losing to Braden River 28-23 in the playoffs . I'm watching........ all of these Manatee alum as possible replacements for Shakir, as I still think he is not the guy in the long run at Manatee.

Go Canes Go!

Don't have the inside information on what happen with Brion at Manatee, but for a 1st year OC......... I was impressed and thought he showed promise!!! I'm glad he got a chance to find a place to land on his feet with another Manatee alum HBC Spencer Hodges. You've had talent leaving Sarasota for a few years now, putting a stop to that leak would be a move in the right direction for the Sarasota Program. Last time I stayed in the area, I was disappointed in what has become of the Bradenton Herald and Sraresota Herald print editions........probably more so with the Bradenton Herald, I've resisted subscribing to the online version of either publication. I'll probably have to put principle to the side in reality if I want any local information on the local HS football scene......and pay the fee's before the games start being played......

As another side note, John Booth's brother James left Manatee a couple of years ago to become the HBC at Plant City. James is a Manatee alum as well and in year two had himself a pretty good football team last year, just barely losing to Braden River 28-23 in the playoffs . I'm watching........ all of these Manatee alum as possible replacements for Shakir, as I still think he is not the guy in the long run at Manatee.

Go Canes Go!
Wait is this THEE Brion Carnes? Man.... I will fight the temptation to go back to his playing days and how you felt about him lmao.

Is John coaching with James? I didnt see him as a HC anywhere else. Would it be weird to have another booth come where 1 had failed?

Peezy28 you just don't get me, and I still feel exactly the same way about his ability at the QB position while playing for Manatee. So why is it so hard for you to swallow that I saw serious potential in his ability to coach or in this specific instance as an OC? I wish Joe would work with him in as far as a insightful voice from the outside.

John is out of coaching completely, James was the OC when John was the HBC at Manatee........it frustrates the hell out of me, that so many Manatee Alum are not at Manatee......when I get down there I hope to be able to get a better handle on what exactly is going on.............I have some ideas but the reality is I'm really power-less to do anything about it............. I'm not the politically correct kind of person to work myself into the power structure over time.......just want to better understand than work so much off of intuition of just reading the signs and my understanding of human nature. James however appears to be doing a helluva job at Plant City!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Peezy28 you just don't get me, and I still feel exactly the same way about his ability at the QB position while playing for Manatee. So why is it so hard for you to swallow that I saw serious potential in his ability to coach or in this specific instance as an OC? I wish Joe would work with him in as far as a insightful voice from the outside.

You gotta understand... Your disdain for Carnes QB ability was one of the biggest running jokes we had on this board for a few years... So whenever he comes up we are going to go back to that... Its as finite as Wave on the sidelines or crashing a plane.

Yeah he beat us in the opening game of our brand new stadium in 2007 on a 50+ yard Hail Mary to set up a FG for the win as time ran out.

Then I ended up defending him the next few yearsin discusssions with gatorman.

Reactions: peezy28
See gator everyone on here has very good memories of yohr disdain for Carnes as a QB. I'M sure Dan remembers my famous quote question lol.

See gator everyone on here has very good memories of yohr disdain for Carnes as a QB. I'M sure Dan remembers my famous quote question lol.

So let me get this straight.............. you guys are still traumatized by my critique of Brion Carnes the 2006-2009 Manatee QB, that you haven't been able to move on and accept my positive comments about Brion Carnes the guy trying to make a go of it with coaching.....(for now at the HS ranks)................... Interesting......that some guy on a internet massage board can have that kind of lasting affect on you some 9 years later, by simply stating his opinion at that time ....................which generally speaking is a significant part of what the message board is all about.....................that's alot of power there you in-directly have given me.....I hope you realize that?

For my part I've moved on, and have no recall of the famous quote question you mention.....sorry I'm not left with the same kind of lasting impression......at least in this instance.....you were apparently.....so please do re-fresh my memory?
Go Canes Go!

Sorry gator but thats officially your Mantra here... it stuck and with the remaining guys its the most memorable thing on here about you because you took such a strong stance here its lasted... Maybe if we knew you personally and had more stuff to remember you by it would have faded to the abyss buy since the only persona we have of you is this board... that hot take that you felt SOOOO strongly about stuck and will be ever lasting..... Sorry man thats just what it is

Not mine, but yours peezy28.......................but apparently what you're really saying here is, that when I was indulged back then about why I felt the way I did....by whomever...........for my part no one ever presented anything that ever caused me to take pause and re-consider my opinion......The crew (yourself, Dan, etc), just cant accept when I was indulged that I couldn't be swayed to see things differently...like I said that's on you, I moved on...........as a professional and a manager that had oversight responsibility for a unit that generated 1 billion dollars annually.......knowing the importance of encouraging as well as listening to view points that weren't my own......is key element of ultimately being successful. As with many things in life, there are times even in this environment, that eventually individuals must agree to disagree. I defended OSL recently to Josh, when he actually made a administrative mistake to admonish him publicly on the board..........I told Josh while I dont necessarily agree 100% of the time with OSL, I see the greater good that he brings to the board......in fact I suggested to Josh that he should have him on the payroll for his role during the summer to keep things going on the board during the off season. The point here I guess is if you and your concept of the perfect message board is 100% agreement on all things......well......be true to those sentiments and I hope you do find that kind of utopia.........as I think back now, I guess the only thing else that comes to mind is shame all of you that continued to engage me about all that, but weren't willing to ultimately accept it was my opinion.....like all of you and the opinions all of you have about any number of things and just move on....agreeing to disagree.

Being passionate about the Manatee Hurricanes, is what I am...........I have opinions, Im not about doing the politically correct way to do things......never have been never will be.......cant deal with it............well I guess the best I can say is......I'll pray for your peace of mind, but Im moving on................Brion's looks like he has the potential to be a pretty good coach, I personally like what I see!

Go Canes Go!

Gman.... Its not that serious.... It was always just a joke. No prayers needed in this matter.. My mind is very much at peace

That's good, I was beginning to think we were edging forward into the "Its was funny, maybe the 2nd or 3rd time, the 4th time not so much." So I'll trust you wont go back jack and do it again"

Go Canes Go!

That's good, I was beginning to think we were edging forward into the "Its was funny, maybe the 2nd or 3rd time, the 4th time not so much." So I'll trust you wont go back jack and do it again"

Go Canes Go!
... I'll break your trust on that one... Its still funny to me so no promises lol.

Damn. Skin getting a little thin round here. Gatorman incesant bitchin bout Carne's QB play was an all-time classic tho. One of the best in fack

On another note, why did Josh try to admonish OSL? He should not poke the bear as you said... If there was enough to go around over there (which there is not at all) he should have OSL on payroll for sure.

Oh and I am glad to see Carnes getting into coaching and apparently doing a pretty good job with it as well.

gatorman, I just remembered we had some good discussions and its funny.I'm a historian, I got no problem with you my friend just bustin chops.

Tarps did Midnight practice again last night, DJ cranking up the tunes, about 250 people, always fun to attend and see the energy of the first time they can hit.

Miss those old Bull in the Ring drills that they stopped doing a few decades back. The closer you were with a buddy, the worse you wanted to get each other - then have a good laugh how you did.

Tarps did Midnight practice again last night, DJ cranking up the tunes, about 250 people, always fun to attend and see the energy of the first time they can hit.

Miss those old Bull in the Ring drills that they stopped doing a few decades back. The closer you were with a buddy, the worse you wanted to get each other - then have a good laugh how you did.

That's a pretty cool tradition to have, and cool that the Charlotte community even at midnight will come out and support the Tarps! Anybody watch the Suncoast Media Day today on Youtube? Had all the Manatee, Sarasota County HBC's on......haven't watched the whole thing yet, I've just bounced around so far to hear certain coaches........It reminded me in certain instances of when all the Plant Managers for the Postal Service would get together to give an accounting of where their respective plant was with regards to hours, production levels etc.........One coach in particularly reminded me of those instance where I'd lean over to another manager and whisper to he/she and say "You realize he or she is full of chit and I wonder how long the District Manager is going to let them go before calling he/she out for it" Kind of instance where they'll say a whole lot, but in reality said nothing but a lot generalities that mean nothing.........I'll be following this coach's team very closely this season, for sure!

Go Canes Go!

New to this forum but Brion Carnes is actually the JV Head Coach at Sarasota. The Offensive Coordinators at Sarasota are Eric Friedenberg & Brody Wiseman.

Excited to see what the Sailors do this year but I don't think anyone is getting past the offseason recruiting champion Venice Indians who reloaded once again. Between Gain Sports & Air5 kids continue to transfer into Venice from national 7 on 7 teams.

Biggest Offseason Losers are Riverview & Braden River. I'm not sure why so many kids left programs that continue to make good playoff runs.

Between Gain Sports & Air5 kids continue to transfer into Venice from national 7 on 7 teams.
Can you provide a little more background on this, for those of us that are just fan's of high school football?
I guess this might also explain the ambitious schedule Peacock setup for the Indians this season as well, if the roster is as stacked as you say it is?

Thanks!
Go Canes Go!

Venice gone be good only thing I want to see is how the defense line gone look cause they lost a lot

I think I heard Charlotte beat Venice (Tampa Plant too) in one of the last 7 on 7s. New Junior Q John Busha (Came in from St Thomas Aquinas as a sophomore) will be a good one.

Charlotte usually matches Venice in skills, its the line play that makes Venice so good. Like most teams, always has going way back to when I played iin the old Coral Coast Conference then we had the better lines, and beat them twice for the confernce title.

Thanks ManaSotaGator, welcome to the board.

Why no one welcome Nu'Trelle to the board back in '02? No ... wait a minute ... don't nobody answer that. TIA.

Can you provide a little more background on this, for those of us that are just fan's of high school football?
The transfers Venice got this offseason include
Malachi Wideman 4 Star Receiver (Air5)
Chuck Brantley 3 Star Corner (Air5)
Elliott Washington (Air5)
Stevan Pearce
Steffan Johnson
Ryan Overstreet
Brian Taylor & more
Weston Wolff came over last year from Gain Sports

The assumption in area is that Venice is paying 7on7 coaches to recruit for them not just for local players but for national talent at these big 7on7 events.

The staff and management of Manatee H.S. cannot sit idly by and let this type of thing go unnoticed.

Gentlemens, it's high time to fire everybody up at Manatee and bring back the ole Gunslinger hisself, Joltin Joe Kinnan.

An while we at it, do any body know the whereabouts of Rod Frazier? Is he still doin hard time or has they finally turned his azz loose? He might not be the best assistant coach who ever lived, but the man could damn sure handle the cheerleaders!

The transfers Venice got this offseason include
Malachi Wideman 4 Star Receiver (Air5)
Chuck Brantley 3 Star Corner (Air5)
Elliott Washington (Air5)
Stevan Pearce
Steffan Johnson
Ryan Overstreet
Brian Taylor & more
Weston Wolff came over last year from Gain Sports

The assumption in area is that Venice is paying 7on7 coaches to recruit for them not just for local players but for national talent at these big 7on7 events.
You are missing a few. Venice is paying big bucks. So if you are a 7 on 7 coach or really any coach or parent. Notify VHS that you have a good player, but understand they are only taking 4 stars and above and you will get paid.

The staff and management of Manatee H.S. cannot sit idly by and let this type of thing go unnoticed.

Gentlemens, it's high time to fire everybody up at Manatee and bring back the ole Gunslinger hisself, Joltin Joe Kinnan.

An while we at it, do any body know the whereabouts of Rod Frazier? Is he still doin hard time or has they finally turned his azz loose? He might not be the best assistant coach who ever lived, but the man could damn sure handle the cheerleaders!

Nuetral.....What the hell has Manatee HS got to do with any of this, the current county-wide administration with over-sight responsibility of county athletics......dealt Manatee HS its death nail when it was able to successfully rid themselves of Joe Kinnan, which is what the folks out in east Manatee County where all the county money is migrating to, wanted in the 1st place to give their newer programs a fighting chance. In hindsight I'd say they got just what they wanted........

I always felt that Joe brought much of what they ultimately used to get rid of him, his fault for becoming too lax with the way he was running things at Manatee HS......but the way they went about it was certainly dirty dealings in my mind regardless....

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Fishin' No, I didn't say that, just stating the summer 7-7s which mean nothing. We're a little thin this season, but the Q will develop and Charlotte will probably win around 7 games. He should be pretty good next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT