ADVERTISEMENT

So Who's Evacuating?

Choctaw_fan

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2003
I offered rooms to my family in Naples and my son lives 2 miles down the road. We drove down there for Hurricane Ivan and it was a Godsend. But, I'm sure they will be really stupid and ride it out. Hope all of you remain safe and do what's best for your family!

Not me, but I am ready for this hurricane (Yes I know I can never be ready for any hurricane because anything can happen) and I wasn't for Hurricane Charley. I had a feeling two weeks ago that we were going to get slammed this year after watching Hurricane Harvey hitting Texas. The only thing I have left to do is board up my windows. Luckily my house was built after Hurricane Charley so its built up to the newest specs but that doesn't make a difference if it a Category 4-5 hurricane.

With Hurricane Charley I was not ready, heck many of us were not ready with that one. But after experience that year with what THREE Hurricanes coming over Florida within a two months apart I made sure the next big one I will be ready. Instead of one generator I have two generators so I will not be lacking electricity and trust me here in Wauchula as soon as it starts raining the electric shuts off.

Silver King if you read this, believe me whenever I say this, my gut feeling says is going to take the same track as Hurricane Charley so please be ready...

Please be safe everybody because its going to be bad, really bad if it stays its course.

I ask you Lord God Jesus Christ to turn this hurricane north into open waters in the Atlantic!!!!

Don't say that, I rode out Donna and Charley on the Peace River, not ready for another Cat 4 just yet.

But I also rebuilt from the studs out, added extra straps and bolseterd up a walk in shower as a safe spot that isn't tied into the trusess and bolstered up with stra 2x4s, an independent roof and strapped to the foundation. I now have a galvanized roof, and complete set of storm shutters - think I can fend off a Cat 4, not sure about a direct hit of a 5. The tornadoes are what tore my neighborhood up - destroyed seven out if the 11 adjacent houses and deposited my dear old 18-foot Mako 150 feet across a field.

I have been offered space in Atlanta if I need to or I can go to Hilton Head, but this darn storm can't make up it's mind on where it is going. Heck, I can probably double back to I-95 and head south to avoid the storm with the trajectory it looks right now.

Needless to say, I don't think I have felt the need to run, but this time I am feeling it.

I think most of your homes can now handle the wind. It's the storm surge that would scare me. I checked Florida elevation maps the other day and most of the peninsula is lower elevation than I am and I live three blocks from the water! All the canals in the world will not take that water away quickly.

The other thing to consider is the noise from the wind. I sat alone at home 150 miles east of the center of Katrina and it scared me to death. The wind would roar then slow. You never knew when it would blow so hard as to damage your home. I already had trees bending over from Hurricane Ivan the year before. I swear a 1' diameter pine was leaning further than I had ever seen. I just don't like the stress of listening to those storms. Buy some sound-deadening headphones!

I'll be praying for all of you!

Last edited:
Don't say that, I rode out Donna and Charley on the Peace River, not ready for another Cat 4 just yet.
Best advice Nu'Trelle can give SK or any other guy who in the way of a Cat 3, 4 or 5 hurricane and can't get out, find you at least one extremely wealthy woman to ride it out wiff.

Then if the damn thing miss you, you got at least one more wealthy woman in your life who -- hopefully -- willing to make sure you provided for.

Nu'Trelle Life Rule #1:
No man can ever have too many wealthy wimmens in his life.

Wave knows that Cat 4 or better hurricanes blow the mosquitoes into next month. He doesn't like for people to know this, but he sometimes will pick up a couple a flights a week spraying skeeters after a bad run at Bonita Springs dog track.

So he prolly heading to someplace like Louisianna to start spraying.

Wave hasn't had a good lead since Sweet Lou Pinella told him to put everything he had on Son of Sam in the 6th race.

I enjoy the beach, but may try to ride my Big Hog Northwest in Georgia. My Vietnam care taker is cleaning him up
449088d1446622085-fat-guy-on-a-little-bike-48-hog-rider.jpg

I seen one of those Vietnamese pot bellies bouncing along a road on the way to Arcadia once, felll out of a pick-me-up truck, bounced three feet in the hair, shook it off and hauled ass to the palmettos

Reactions: Mr-Robinson
I seen one of those Vietnamese pot bellies bouncing along a road on the way to Arcadia once, felll out of a pick-me-up truck, bounced three feet in the hair, shook it off and hauled ass to the palmettos
My friend told me you fell out when you saw guy
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Hey Neutral. Did pre-flight my plane and included aviation fuel this time. Heading to Biloxi tomorrow if you want to go. Onlly one fuel stop and we there. Hot wimmens, booze and gambling as I lose my house. Not a big deal but I don't want to lose the Hellcat. Hoping the garage holds up. Wave Out!

Reactions: Silver King
Hey Neutral. Did pre-flight my plane and included aviation fuel this time. Heading to Biloxi tomorrow if you want to go. Onlly one fuel stop and we there. Hot wimmens, booze and gambling as I lose my house. Not a big deal but I don't want to lose the Hellcat. Hoping the garage holds up. Wave Out!
You got a Hellcat? That is awesome

Back in the '70s, I remember watching a movie about a new high rise apartment complex in South Florida that was supposed to be hurricane proof. Of course it wasn't and a lot of people died. That and the fact that the government paid me to leave, I always chose to evacuate. But we have so many options on which way to go here. You guys don't!

That storm is not going to hold Cat 5 or even 4 forever, I bet it goes ashore as a 3.
East coast just rain. Sun out today. West looking nasty. Wish I could help. A lot of damage. Palm trees down. roofs thrown. Sea level up. Rivers rising. Jacksonville under water in city

That was fricking scary. Worse than Charley because of the constant sustained winds for 6 hours then when the eye wall came over us I about crapped my pants!!! Luckily though a Hurricane Charley damaged our area so much people had newer roofs and most of the trees had already came down or tore apart. No damage at my house but I can't say that for others.

That was fricking scary. Worse than Charley because of the constant sustained winds for 6 hours then when the eye wall came over us I about crapped my pants!!! Luckily though a Hurricane Charley damaged our area so much people had newer roofs and most of the trees had already came down or tore apart. No damage at my house but I can't say that for others.
You near Anaconda land or is that south?

That's my main concern. I'm always afraid of what the other people don't do. Example, my neighbor put up his hurricane coverings over his windows but failed to put his trash and recycling bins in the garage. Will they hit his house or mine? Who knows!

Sk called the Cat 3 landfall, called the 15-foot tidal surge was way over exhadgerated and disagreed totally with the Governor that telling 6.5 million Floridians they were under mandatory evacuation, to cover his ass, was in the best interest of Public Safety. Shelters trunning people away, gas running out accidents on the interstate moving at a snails pace.

Reactions: peezy28
I heard from Wave he is good but was scared shitless during the eyewall part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT