ADVERTISEMENT

SK Time Traveled to 1970 Thursday Night

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
My Tarpon teammate whose on The FHSAAs Top 100 Florida HS players of all time; the ALL Time Gator's Team (All American),and was in three Super Bowls for the Dallas Cowboys (only rookie starter in X); Burton Lawless, presented Charlotte High with the NFL 50th Anniversary Super Bowl ball at the Tarpon Football Banquet. We got the guys together from the 70 team (went out in the semi-final game up at Quincy Shanks because of a legit penalty call).

Our old coach Fred Goldsmith (NCAA Coach of the year Rice and Duke) made it back as guest speaker , as did our DC, Mike Lay (Venice/ Riverview) and Coach Gary Rapp (Sebring). We had a lot of the team back including half of the 12 of us he sent off to play college ball (Two passed, one in prison). Been three days of reminiscing, I'm a blessed to have had most of these guys in my life as my closest friends since Little League - even played against a few in college, and best men in weddings for a couple.

This is what's so great about this game we all love - life time connections with guys you've seen the good, the bad and the ugly with, and who you'd still go to war with.

Yes I am. You sir have a good perspective about the sheep, we American mass media-ized voters, have thrown the baby out with the bath water when it comes to true representation.

Yea, I noticed that my son is still very close to his teammates on the o-line 10 years after they graduated. I hope their friendships last as long as yours have.

I hope so too, if they're 10 in, with girlfriends marriages etc, they're looking good. My piece of advice: always do whatever you can to really get along with the wife or girlfriend, otherwise the guys don't get let out to play.

Last edited:
Had a reunion several years back with the team just before the coach past away. Very special. Lucky we are/were to also have had a special team. Rockledge wrestling, 1971.

Reactions: Silver King
I got to see my college coach at a ring ceremony we never had when we were playing, and decided to 30 years later. He passed two years after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT