ADVERTISEMENT

SK, Let Us Know You Made It Across The River!

Made it just fine, took two hours because we had a bit of a current to deal with and were swimming into a surface chop.

There were dark clouds and lightening on both sides of the river, enough to call a football game (see it and hear it), but never even a drop of rain in the river, and no FHSAA regs to call it.

It started with a BBQ at my house on the river, then we all headed over and expressed our Freedom!

Dock%207_zpskeu7v0vy.jpg

F%20rain_zpsctmbekws.jpg.html

a>

Last edited:
Here's a decent video from a couple years ago that shows the route pretty good (This is one of the four I've missed because I was sailing). Not everyone gets out at Harpoon Harry's we stay along the bridge and get out at Gilchrist Park, nice sandy beach and less boats and kayak traffic to swim around. Of course, you're on your own there, Yesterday my middle son on the boat was pointing to Tarpon rolling, and what he hopes was a school of Jacks hitting threadfins. One of his buddies saw a 10-foot Hammerhead a week ago fooling with a school of thread fins about a mile away. And it is Shark Week.

Reactions: Dave Lackford
I'm considering buying a kayak. Maybe next year I can carry your beer for you.

Ha ha! OK, here's my Captain coming out. If you're going to buy one, learn rules of the road, basic seamanship and never take it off shore.

While I was in Maine, I got caught in an uncalled for 40 knot squall - I watched it move in and shortened sail (I was in 360 tons of schooner; not a 100 pound piece of plastic). Three Kayakers, one a guide, got caught by it. The guide and husband drowned, the wife was found by a lobsterman tied to her Kayak. She was incoherent and a few minutes from dying from hypothermia.

Kayakers have major issues every summer in Maine, they get run over in the fog, don't use navigation signals and in my opinion, they're as dangerous as Jet Skis, people just don't know what they're doing. Don't be that chick.

Reactions: tigertats16
I hate jet skis! One guy in Navarre bought a kayak and took it out on the water in the early evening. He died after a jet ski ran over him. I owned a kayak for many years when I lived in the panhandle. I would get out at 8 am to avoid the jet skis.

Also, I have rule to never go on the water when it is so cold to immediately cause hypothermia unless the fishing is ridiculously great. Never in a kayak!

Reactions: Silver King
Different strokes for different folks, enjoy them both, but be safe out there. Nobody launches in the morning thinking that's the day they're going to die because of doing something on a Jet Ski or Kayak, or from somenone elses neglegence, but it happens.

I can see how they are really dangerous but seriously you don't plow through the shallows at 40mph on a Jet Ski.. Some people are just irresponsible no matter how many warnings you give them. You know like these folk

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT