ADVERTISEMENT

Silver King: The Birth of Big Game Fishing

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Have been watching the documentary series produced by WGCU, that goes overs the history Florida by City and came upon this episode!

Yeah, familiar with it, but its a little LeeCountyCentric - they hardly mention Punta Gorda. The sport wouldn't have taken off with out the Railroad being extended from Bartow to Punta Gorda the year after Wood caught his first tarpon, or the massive Punta Gorda hotel (330 capacity) wasn't built the next year. That made Punta Gorda the Transportation and Lodging hub for the sport - first guides, first specialized tarpon boats, etc. River fishing and Charlotte Harbor tarpon fishing pre-dated Boca Grande Pass by 17 years - it was fairly inaccessible and didn't get going until 1902 when Useppa got started. was the norm The RR didn't get down to Ft Myers for 14 more years.

I've been working on the Bible of this subject for ten years - will let you know when its completed

There was a 2 part series on Punta Gorda that I watched as well as one on Cape Coral and the abandoned WII Air Base in Arcadia, much of what you touched on in your post above, was covered on the 2 part series on Punta Gorda.
You know since I graduated HS, I've read very little in as far as books go. In fact the last book I read, a military veteran that came into the BMEU in Athens, GA to do mailings, gave me a autobiography on Robert E Lee to read. I read all the time online, but now on consecutive days I've had someone mention something to me about books to read. My friend Emmett, A was a work colleague at the PO in Athens, GA (who has to be close to his 80's now), mentioned in a facebook post yesterday about

"Henry 'Chips' Channon: The Diaries 1918-38 review – priceless interwar gossip"​

which in all honesty I had no clue what it was about? Emmett at one time was the head librarian at Old Dominion before coming back home to Athens and was a bit of intellect like that as well as a historian buff. Let me know when you publish your book. I 1/2 expected when I watched the series on Punta Gorda to see you on it, because of the things you've mentioned previously on here which indicated to me you were heavily involved with the local history.

Last edited:
You never here about these projects until they come out - but they've been pretty good. You're never going to please everybody as a historian - there's just so much information you can get to and condense into a book.

Single picture In Neutral's fambly photo album. Fifty-four year old dude leaning against a big royal palm, surf in the background. Hand-printed caption on bottom of frame: "Curt - Naples Beach Club - 1939".

Curt, an engineer who drove freight trains between Columbus, OH and Indianapolis, IN, loved to to fish. He and a few railroad buddies would come to SW FL on vacation, book charters and try the salt. That's where the photo was taken.

Curt never played any sports, but became a baseball and football fan when Neutral showed up.

Curt took Neutral fishing for the first time as soon as he could walk. Sometimes they talked about fishing, but mostly they sat and talked about life. The lessons were about how to do things right.

Curt was an easy guy to like. Curt was a man's man.

We went fishing for the final time less than a week before he passed. Neutral was able to park the car just a few feet from the bank, so Curt (who was 80) didn't have far to walk. Two guys sitting on upside down 5 gallon buckets, enjoying a nice, sunny day. Not really talking about too much that day.

We had already covered most of the important stuff. After 21 years, each guy already knew what the other one was thinking.

Fact of Life: Today's world would be a much better place if every man had a fisherman like Curt for a mentor. Put it in the bank.

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT