ADVERTISEMENT

Sideline technology in high school

te35

Jul 4, 2007
Went to a game recently and was close enough to see one of the teams using technology like the NFL on the sidelines. When the offense/defense would come to the sidelines one of the coaches gathered the players together and showed them on an I pad? What had just happened on the field. I wasn't aware that this was allowed, or is this team part of some Belichek info gathering plot?

You mean you don't have the Special Operations Group jammers and listening devices that are all the rage? I mean with all these Special Opps guys back from Iraq and Afghanistan, a lot of them enjoy high school football and can be had on the cheap.

I heard Manatee has drones to go with the Jumbotron, but they're being flown out of MacDill by the Joint Communications Support Element that provides enroute, early entry, scalable C4 support to the Regional Combatant Commands, Special Operations Command, and other agencies as directed; or on order, can provide additional C4 services within 72 hours to support larger CJTF/CJSOTF Headquarters across the full spectrum of operations; including Hurricane Football.

Now I did see our opponent Friday with a mini-command center with all kinds of computers and technology in a team colored tent in our south end zone. It was awful impressive and fancy looking, but couldn't match that Tarpon Mojo Moon arising that always shines first in that end zone and scrambled them for 58 unanswered points.

So I'll put you down in the " Manatee has better intel than most " category..... But seriously.... Is this allowed?

yes, teams use the Hudl app that films the game and instantly downloads the play to the ipad for viewing

I think there is a program called echoe, where the team can see the last play with in 10 seconds

But the big question has not been answered. Is this legal? What does FHSAA say about it.

I can see a big problem with rich schools being able to afford this and poor schools not having it. To me, it would give an unfair advantage.

It's legal to have them. There is a system called echo and another one. You can have the endzone view about 10 seconds after the play. The endzone camera, echo system and everything costs about $6500.

But still, it should not be allowed for use unless only one team. In otherwords, it will be offered at a stadium and available to both teams.

Didn't coaches used to just draw out the last play and show the players what went wrong?

Choctaw you need to accept the new technology. When i was a kid cell phones did not exist, Advance or get left behind.......

Reactions: Hornet09
It is available to both teams. You just have to pay for it. Some teams choose not to pay for headsets or Hudl. It's up to the team to decide how important things are to the staff.

I wasn't kidding about drones at Manatee, a buddy was up for homecoming with his wife a Manatee grad and she told me about them. Maybe one of the Manatee guys can let us know if they're camera drones for the jumbotron or what.

I don't think Manatee uses the drone but they camera man has a drone the flies above the stadium taking aerial pictures

I'm all for new technologies. But, I am against privileged teams buying a win. Some teams just can't afford it.

Besides, what would the coaches do on the weekend if they reviewed all the video during the game!

Venice has a tv screen they use to show the offense and defense the last drive to make in game adjustments. Pretty slick.

I heard Manatee has drones to go with the Jumbotron, but they're being flown out of MacDill by the Joint Communications Support Element that provides enroute, early entry, scalable C4 support to the Regional Combatant Commands, Special Operations Command, and other agencies as directed; or on order, can provide additional C4 services within 72 hours to support larger CJTF/CJSOTF Headquarters across the full spectrum of operations; including Hurricane Football.
I'm impressed with your military jargon. Where did you learn all them fancy acronyms and stuff?
As far as your theory goes, I'm not talking.

I was at the homecoming game and there wasn't any drone video streaming on the jumbotron. I suspect they use the drone for photography or maybe to record video.

I have seen two separate schools use drones to film the band at halftime..... Does that count?

I'm impressed with your military jargon. Where did you learn all them fancy acronyms and stuff?
As far as your theory goes, I'm not talking.

J-King I looked up their mission statement, but I've been a military buff since I was a little kid, just finishing a book on Vietnam. Charlotte uses those Ipad play backs too. Most of the teams we played this year seem to have them.

Reactions: jgking83
we have 2 drones from our robot club that we use pregame and haftime, we also have flat screens, ipads, camera in press box and endzone, hudl, u name it, and we not a rich school, we just know how to spend our money properly

A visiting team must get permission to film a contest ( never heard of a team requesting this or being turned down), but if the host team doesn't have this new technology, then they could refuse to let the visiting team film during the game and then just provide film afterwards.

So, if coaches review plays real-time and make immediate adjustments, that must add even more stress to the job. At the college level, there are many more assistants to do this work. In high school, you may only have one person doing it.

Coaches, does it help or hurt? Has the technology been proven to enhance your game?

So ... has ... technology enhance(d) your game?
No, not a bit ... but as more an more wimmens axed Nu'Trelle if they could buy a video, he finally acqueexxed and started selling them. Just two rule apply:

(1) He never sell video to a "third" party. To buy it, they haff to be in it.
(2) Wimmens ain't allowed to upload nothin.

Nu'Trelle don't need no extra notoriety. He have a hard time gettin any rest as it is.

Choctaw..... Interestingly enough it was Choctaw I saw using the sideline technology against Niceville. I'm with you I really don't know how much it helps with the fact that many players play both ways, and many coaches have multiple responsibilities, but it old very useful with the right amount of manpower.

i dont know how much of a impact it does first hand, but i do know the coaches i know enjoy having that technology, and it has helped us make adjustments at a faster and more effective rate then it would be in the past days before all this technology came out

If a coach in the tower could watch the video and help the coach on the field, that would be an improvement. Otherwise, I don't see it.

I'm not surprised Choctaw has the technology. The boosters have wholeheartedly bought into Coach Thomas' system. And, it has produced results!

It certainly helps the coaches in the box as well as the coaches on the field. It is a great advantage when you have it at your disposal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT