ADVERTISEMENT

See what happend when you guys ran off Choctaw_fan with politics...

That's Ironic.......today on the way back home when I passed the I10 exit heading south down I75, I looked toward the west and immediately wondered about Choctaw.......then I weighed the pro's and con's of what I may have done to chase her off for about 30 seconds, and decided she ultimately backed herself into the corner she painted herself in......and then moved on to whether I wanted to travel to Palmetto tonight to catch the game..........Call it idle thoughts while in the midst of the drive back home....

Go Canes Go!

We need more civility in the world, politics is killing that.

I might watch that to see how Palmetto matches up against Central, would love to see them win. The Palmetto QB, I am told from people who watched a fair amount of film had his best throwing night against us. We had a soph DB who couldn't handle WR #8, and Central will likely have lockdown types, so they will have to be balanced and get the running game cranking.

Reactions: peezy28
Agreed with your insights, Kobe Mays......not sure if he's #8 or not was injured the 1st part of the season....but he's return and added to a already potent WR's collection of talent at Palmetto. His Dad is Alvoid Mays that played on the Manatee 83 state title team and briefly with the Redskins in the NFL.

Don't know if you got to watch the Lincoln game...(the only game Palmetto lost this season), Lincoln's QB was very athletic and gave the Palmetto D fits all night long.....wondering if Central has a QB with similar athletic ability?

Go Canes Go!

Even better than Midgett flippin it to the Dude runnin stop an goes in the green plaid 6" platforms??? Say it ain't so, brotha!

Never saw that one, awesome. Neil playing with them, those are hard to find.

I was out at the Fish Camp - did you watch the Palmetto Game?

I went ahead and paid the 10.99 to watch games being streamed by NFHS, instead of making another road trip......since I had just done the 500+ mile trip from GA earlier in the day. I did devote most of my time on the Palmetto game however. Palmetto beat themselves in this one, just too many unforced errors that the Palmetto guys broadcasting the game indicated had been Palmetto's MO all season. Palmetto never found an answer to the Central 3 backs that shared carrying the ball. The story line for this game was eerily similar to the semi-final loss to Norland several years back.......To me this game was probably the closest you'll get to a state title game, as I just don't see Escambia being able to stay with Central.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
In 1970 my Tarpon team got a 40yd pass called back that would have put us inside the ten with under two to play up at Quincy Shanks. That's the closest of the three Tarpon teams to play in a semi have come. Don't see us ever winning one with the talent and small (and remote) town aspects of Charlotte County.

Going over the Bridge crossing the Peace River into Port Charlotte from Punta Gorda on US 41, was a revealing experience in as far as things I had assumed about the Charlotte County. The differences between the towns of Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte is stark, but with the growing population and with the current rules that allow for the free movement of these kids to play where ever they want. I think there is a sufficient talent base here to field a special team right now! What has to change immediately is stopping guys like Peacock, from luring the county's best skilled talent to play at Venice. The other thing you need is a once every 3-5 years collection of size and strength at the line of scrimmage, that collectively brings the kind of maturity that makes them all practically young men not teenage boys. Do that and you can consistently compete and beat schools like STA, Miami Central, Northwestern etc..........

It goes without saying, that without exceptional coaching that also possesses a charismatic personality .......none of the rest matters! But again with the county having only 2 HS, and its current population the talent base is here right now to compete, I just don't believe no one from a HBC standpoint has realized that to be able to tap into all of that................ yet!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
No, you're looking at it like a newcomer to the area; you assume we have free movement.

We already have a pretty astute, charismatic staff that gets way more out of what we have to work with, than a vast majority of programs in the state. I played, I know coaching, and I had three sons play for this staff. As you've heard me say on numerous occasions, they nor I would change their experience as Tarpons for a state title at Venice, Manatee, STA or anywhere else. This is a community where the kids played Little League, Pop Warner together, etc. Like I did. At my age my best friends are still my teammates. In fact, we all got together for the Turkey Bowl Thursday at Tarpon Stadium- six decades of Tarpons playing, they all had their boys from their teams there. Now, not many schools do that.

There are other things at play (Like a golf handicap) here. There are three high schools in Charlotte County: CHS, PCHS & Lemon Bay HS.

Charlotte is the school many families want to send their kids to, and it's close to capacity. So, for the previous few years, Charlotte has had a "Closed Boundry" because PC and LB are way under capacity - that won't change anytime soon. Anyone (Students or athletes ) can go to those two schools, but not Charlotte unless they have a sibling or have other family at Charlotte.

So, movement or free agency isn't a factor at Charlotte High, and won't be for anytime soon.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that the current staff at Charlotte lacked any of the qualities I mentioned, just going over the core attributes I feel are needed to build a power football program. Wasn't aware however of the closed boundary rules preventing free movement in Charlotte County. Definitely puts Charlotte HS at a disadvantage with the limitations you mentioned versus Port Charlotte and/or Lemon Bay HS. Still feel though that there is a talent base in Charlotte County, even if it meant the gaining school was ultimately Port Charlotte or Lemon Bay to build a football program capable of competing at a state level.

As it is, Charlotte County has nothing to be ashamed of with its 2019 season. Charlotte HS defeated 2 District Champions in the playoffs and Port Charlotte defeated one as well before losing a competitive playoff game against Palmetto......... says something about the over-all strength of the District they played in during the regular season!

Even with all the success Manatee had enjoyed under Joe Kinnan, I believe there was only one season I felt the team under achieved, that being the 1984 team.......... so there's always a degree of accomplishment to be realized even without a state title! I thought Manatee's season this year ended much better than what I had originally anticipated..............I knew even if they had defeated Venice, the end of post season play was coming the following week..........this wasn't a team that was talented enough to defeat a team like STA......bottom line.

Go Canes Go!

Charlotte County doesn't have much industry that draws a lot of young families into the County. This is as pure a retirement community as there is on this coast. Major industries cater to the aged: health care, retirement homes and tourism. Now when Sunseeker gets done, we may get more high school-aged kids, maybe a few hundred; not thousands.

But here's the most telling sign in the populations of Public High Schools in the counties Charlotte plays in (These are just the public schools, most of the other counties have private high schools also). That makes for a much larger pool to draw from for the hot team in counties that have 9,000 to 22,000 more students than Charlotte. (Like in Miami - where the kids decide who has the best shot then flock there).

And keep in mind, that's without the County imposed handicap of a closed boundry.

Public High School Students per county

Charlotte Co: 5,000
Sarasota Co: 14,000
Manatee Co: 15,000
Lee Co: 27,000

(Source: niche.com 2020 Best Public Schools in ________ County)

So if Charlotte ever wins a state title it will be a miracle. Here's how it plays out: Charlotte's 2009 team that beat Manatee (Bellamy, and a number of offensive weapons). We should have beat Armwood by two TDs, but we had a rash of O-line injuries and our last regular starting O-lineman goes out the first series, had to put in a new center. 5-non starters in a patchwork O-line against a D-front like Armwoods. We just don't have the numbers to build depth here. We play a lot of guys two ways.

I understand numbers and know too from someone that dealt with people who worked for me, how not to allow those numbers to become the desired narrative in a presentation and instead always stick with core line values. Those student population totals for each county obviously support a different number of public schools in each example. I've also been out on I75 in the morning and evening and was surprised to see the volume of traffic from commuters traveling to and from Sarasota and Manatee counties for work, in fact it was eerily similar to what I dealt with on I85 traveling into the No Metro area of outer Atlanta each day.......yes Punta Gorda is a predominantly over 60 age group, but again all you have to do is travel over the Bridge on Tamiami Trail into Port Charlotte to realize there are stark differences between the two area's in as far as population make-up.

I see potential at 6A for the Charlotte county area in as far as football is concerned, its up to each community in as far as what they want from their local HS football program that decides what comes of it.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
One other thing you may or may not be aware of, there is a level of corruption going on within the Punta Gorda City government.....or more specifically those representatives that affiliate with the Democratic party and various non-profit organizations. As I wasn't even here a month and I caught the city government misrepresenting a mailing it mailed to everyone that received city water as its own mailing advisory, when in reality it was done by a 501C-3 non-profit organization. As you stated I'm not yet aware of the political make-up of the area just yet to establish why it happen or was allowed to happen.....but it was if I reported it to the US Postal Inspection service a classic example of mail fraud, in addition to misrepresenting the mailing to its customers as originating from the Punta Gorda Utilities when in reality the non-profit organization was behind the mailing. They did retract the information in the notification, within days of the mailing hitting mail boxes..........but it showed me right away things aren't what they appear to be within Punta Gorda........regarding being forthright and abiding by rules and regulations.

Go Canes Go!

Gatorman, you're sounding a little like a typical newcomer to the area. Maybe you should run for City Council, and teach them how to be forthright and abide by the rules. Hell, most of them lived here a few years and think they have it all figured out. One guy had a lImey accent - lived here for two years and got elected.

I assume you're talking about the boil water notice that went out to the 13,000 Punta Gorda Residents - enlighten me what 501 C-3 group sent that out, as the city utilities. I don't get the local mullet wrapper, and missed the "retraction." The article is all I could find online: https://www.winknews.com/2019/10/25...orda-drinking-water-is-now-safe-for-all-uses/

Was mailed out at Non-Profit rates because it was marked as such on the mail piece, which immediately caught my attention because it was marked as being mailed out by the Punta Gorda City government. Postal regulations don't allow local and/or state governments to mail at Non-Profit rates. So I wondered to myself how exactly did that happen? The mail piece had a Intelligent Mail Barcode (IMB), on it and I knew that within the Barcode contained information that once decoded would tell me all the "Who, what, when, and why" about the mailing.

So I decoded the Barcode and discovered the mailing was mailed out by a mailing company in Sarasota, and that it was mailed out under a Non-profit authorization number belonging to the "Friends of Charlotte Harbor Estuary" Mailings mailed at Non-Profit rates are required to identify the organizations authorized to mail at those rates (which this organization's name appeared no where on the mail piece), nor are they allowed to conduct what's called Cooperative mailings with organizations not authorized to mail at Non-Profit rates and still mail at Non-Profit rates, they must at that point mail at regular commercial rates. I contacted the mailing facility the mailing was entered at and provided them a copy of the mail piece as well as inquired why the mailing when entered didn't have what's called a cursory review by the acceptance clerk......had it been done..... this would have been immediately caught, and instead got a bunch of excuses so I ultimately turned it over to the HQ BMS employee, I know that is domiciled in St Pete (He's a huge Seminole HS sports fan), and decided to let him decide whether to revisit the mailing to collect the additional postage that should have been payed at the time of mailing...............

What bothered me was why the city government would allow a mailing to go out that presented as if it was a governmental notification about the city drinking water, when in reality the mailing belonged to a Non-Profit organization? Then to compound that within days of the mailing hitting mailboxes, the city retracts all that by basically saying......"Oh sorry, drinking water Okay now"?

So I'm here a little over 30 days and the quiet community government of Punta Gorda has already shown itself to having no issue with being involved with shenanigans.........I don't drink the water by the way, obviously I cant count of the city government to be forthright with letting me know whether or not the water is safe or at the very least whether the water is a drink at your own risk type situation.........had I not had the back ground with what I did with the Postal Service, I would have never been the wiser to the whole situation.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
It's about time. Nu'Trelle sleeping lots mo better knowin gatorman001 payin intention to this type a chit.

My observation regarding Neutral posting patterns, would seem to indicate Neutral's sleeping habits were irregular in as far as when and for how long you sleep for a while now. Don't think there's anything I or anyone else for that matter, could do to change anything about that. Whether it be something I'm paying attention to or your active mind working on its next creative writing project......you (whether you are an actual person as peezy has suggested or a morhp hiding behind a VPN), are who you are..... and normally if you are as old as I think you are, change is something that doesn't come easily.......leaving of course the open possibility to a transformation of change on the scale of say a "Saul to Paul" on the road to Damascus........but I kind of doubt it.

Go Canes Go!

That's interesting, I wonder if they're tied up with the Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program, its an EPA program that is loaded with phosphate people on the board that had protected this accident-prone industry for 25 years now, that has poisoned the Peace River numerous times. They are always trying to blame water quality on septics or anything but the 70 million gallons a day they discharge into tributaries and our rivers, used for "blending" or diluting their radioactive and toxic waste, so it will read acceptable at the outflows.

Choctaw_fan took things on a very personal basis when some of us tried in vain to explain to her that U.S. government agencies do NOT make money, they exist by collecting money from ordinary citizens in the form of various taxes and fees.

Before she threw in the towel, she pointed out that was not true because she once worked in a department that billed people to recover money that was owed for government services. Things just did not compute for her. She eventually retired from nearly a lifetime of government service, but still didn't "get" the concept.

Choctaw's comment immediately reminded Neutral of a story about another government employee he once met.

While working his way through college, Nu'Trelle was with a company that hired a part-time laborer who was an aircraft mechanic based at Lockbourne AFB just SE of Columbus, OH. When Neutral axed him what his job was in the AF, he said he worked on armament, specficallly 50 caliber machine guns. No problem. Sounded like he'd be a decent helper.

He and Neutral were sent to do a repair job. Neutral needed a tool to do a disconnect and axed the guy to bring him a medium-size vice-grip. The guy returned and handed Neutral three choices saying, "They was several in the toolbox, didn't know which one you thought was 'medium'."

They were all phillips-head screwdrivers.

Neutral couldn't help exclaiming out loud, "Damn! And they got you working on machine guns?"

What year were you there Neutral?
Your story reminded me of these 2 movie scenes......

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT