ADVERTISEMENT

Race and football

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
I think a vast majority of us on this board played-at least-in High School and some, college ball. Outside of combat can you think of anything that mixes races better than football? Other sports to an extent too.

My high school years came only a few years after integration. One of my very young coaches, my Sr season was one of the first blacks to attend Charlotte. I'm proud to say Charlotte High School, was one of the first high schools to integrate in the state of Florida, before it became the law.

Me and another middle class white kid, our WR, worked three summers with 15 black guys on a sod crew. That was some tough ass manual labor. Those older black guys accepted us because we played ball with their younger brothers and nephews. I learned a lot about their culture, I'd trade quail I shot to "Grass James" for a Pork Chop sandwich for lunch. They'd provide life advice and always the message to stay out of trouble, even though many of them had not.

Those experiences set me up for life, in short, working for a common goal made you forget about the other crap surrounding you. I remember our school had an issue and all the blacks and whites were lined up ready to go, all the athletes were on one end, and we told each other we weren't going to be part of it. It was like the scene in Remember the Titans (same era portrayed). Fortunately cooler heads prevailed. I sure never thought coming from the 60s and 70s we'd be rehashing the same damn issues a half century later. We're a damn flawed species.

The military family is one of the most integrated and well-working communities you will ever find. It also provides excellent opportunities for women to exceed. Young non-citizens can join the military and get an opportunity to become a citizen during their first enlistment. Many military families adopt children from foreign countries. And, of course, many military marry foreigners. In my 26 years working for the DoD, I worked for men and women of many races and nationality. My last boss was a female from Nigeria who became a citizen while in the military and got her doctoral degree before the age of 30. Amazing!

My son told me he never felt any prejudice until he started playing high school football. But, I believe it had more to do with the preferential treatment given to star athletes than the color of their skin. You can only blame the coaching staff for that. I know that treatment starts as early as Pop Warner football and Little League baseball. It's up to the coaches to change that and to understand it is their job to help all players excel, not just the ones showing early promise.

Prejudice is not inbred. It does not need to be passed from generation to generation. I know from real life! And, people of all nationalities are prejudice of others. No one is exempt. We all need to work together to finally make it go away for good!

The military family is one of the most integrated and well-working communities you will ever find. It also provides excellent opportunities for women to exceed. Young non-citizens can join the military and get an opportunity to become a citizen during their first enlistment. Many military families adopt children from foreign countries. And, of course, many military marry foreigners. In my 26 years working for the DoD, I worked for men and women of many races and nationality. My last boss was a female from Nigeria who became a citizen while in the military and got her doctoral degree before the age of 30. Amazing!

My son told me he never felt any prejudice until he started playing high school football. But, I believe it had more to do with the preferential treatment given to star athletes than the color of their skin. You can only blame the coaching staff for that. I know that treatment starts as early as Pop Warner football and Little League baseball. It's up to the coaches to change that and to understand it is their job to help all players excel, not just the ones showing early promise.

Prejudice is not inbred. It does not need to be passed from generation to generation. I know from real life! And, people of all nationalities are prejudice of others. No one is exempt. We all need to work together to finally make it go away for good!

Choc, agreed.. By far as you fight and die together.. Fire missions together!!!!! Best..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT