ADVERTISEMENT

Questions on new Rule

SRQGator1

Nov 19, 2004
Is it in affect as of now?

Kids can transfer to any school in Florida that has room available regardless of where they live?

Are they eligible for sports if they transfer in the same season?

Do the same rules apply as far as not being able to recruit?

Affect now ? Waiting on a signature from Gov. Scott.
Transfer any school ? Yes, even across state
Eligible same season ? Yes. No sit out..... Don't know if you can play for two teams during the same season??
Recruiting ? Still a no-no for coaches. Fair game for anyone else ( That's what I heard, anyway )

Can you imagine a player working his tail off all summer only to lose his starting position to someone who came to the school the week before the season starts? It will happen and it will be tragic for some kids.

How do you stop a team from loading up for the playoffs?

I've read the summary of it, and I don't think you can play for two teams in the same season without a move of residence. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's going to allow for movement. Coaches are going to be hammered monetarily for recruiting. It's almost a certainty that if there are people recruiting, it will be "other people"

Can you imagine a player working his tail off all summer only to lose his starting position to someone who came to the school the week before the season starts? It will happen and it will be tragic for some kids.

How do you stop a team from loading up for the playoffs?

Here's what I think should be done:

1. Limit the number of transfers by classification. Example: Class 4a and below, limit to 3 transfers; 5a & 6a, limit to 4; 7a & 8a, limit to 5.
2. Limit the roster size by classification. Example: Class 4a and below, limit to 45 players; 5a & 6a, limit to 60 players; 7a & 8a, limit to 75 players.

Here's what I think should be done:

1. Limit the number of transfers by classification. Example: Class 4a and below, limit to 3 transfers; 5a & 6a, limit to 4; 7a & 8a, limit to 5.
2. Limit the roster size by classification. Example: Class 4a and below, limit to 45 players; 5a & 6a, limit to 60 players; 7a & 8a, limit to 75 players.

Legal transferes should not be limited and for the life of me i cant see what roster size has to do with anything when most of the 1A schools have 8th and 9th graders on the starting lineup.

Legal transferes should not be limited and for the life of me i cant see what roster size has to do with anything when most of the 1A schools have 8th and 9th graders on the starting lineup.

Using the same logic the as the NCAA which limits the number of scholarships and rosters for the different divisions.

This past year Jesuit and Bishop Moore played in the 4th round of the playoffs, class 5a. Both had rosters with more than 80 players. Most public 5a schools I know of have around 50. You tell me how that happens? Better year, two years ago when my school went down and played AHP, not only was their roster nearly double ours, they had nearly 20 who were being actively recruited by D1 universities. I searched the roster of every other public school in the playoffs that year and the rest of us all had between 40-50 players with an average of 4-5 D1 prospects. So tell me how they do it?

I have no issue with students transferring for academic reasons but not for athletic reasons. The new state law is going to create problems unless FHSAA acts to put some breaks on it. A school able to assemble an all-star team with more players than everybody else in their class needs to play up in class.

I'm not sure how you have so few players? If you are a 5A school you have roughly 12-1500 kids at your school and you can't find 50-60 football players?? You are needing less than 10% of the male student body. At Trenton they typically have 10% or better of the student population. 350 total students usually 35-40 players. Most rosters in 1A are 30+ with the big schools (Madison+Union) having 50-60. Now if you are just speaking on the quality of those players I get what you are saying. I mean Trinity Christian is 3A and their roster reads like the rivals 100.

I'm not sure how you have so few players? If you are a 5A school you have roughly 12-1500 kids at your school and you can't find 50-60 football players?? You are needing less than 10% of the male student body. At Trenton they typically have 10% or better of the student population. 350 total students usually 35-40 players. Most rosters in 1A are 30+ with the big schools (Madison+Union) having 50-60. Now if you are just speaking on the quality of those players I get what you are saying. I mean Trinity Christian is 3A and their roster reads like the rivals 100.

Just going by the rosters of us and the others in our district and the neighboring districts. Some years we are lucky to have 45. Although that is varsity only. Most 5a schools have both a varsity and JV. I know some 1a schools only have a varsity team.

Bishop Moore had less than 50 players dressed in the playoffs. Even after bringing up the JV.. 80? Where did that number come from. Schools would have to wear two different uniforms, because no school is ordering 80 jerseys and pant combos unless JV is dressing in the same thing as Varsity.

Reactions: tampa1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT