ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12: wait till next year SKs NC2A update

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
SK started the season with his annual 'get after the PAC 12 post' - nothing personal. SK even enjoyed watching OJ and Marcus back in the day(Not at the trial, rather their running style). SK just don't like how they overrate them every year for the late TV audience (See SK's conspiracy theory about the Final Four committee being more about TV ratings). So, SK's parting shot: Its official, everybody's got 2 losses in the mediocre PAC 12.

Let's take a quick scan around: Baylor finally played someone and got exposed. The TCUs and the Baylors are fun, but reality can be a sledge hammer sometimes.

SEC has its issues too. LSU (200 yard rushing games to this? Bad stuff going on). Bama, one of SKs other favorites, he not sold on. The SEC better start finding QBs that throw the ball well enough to compliment great running backs.

SK gives equal opportunity to mediocrity, nay not even that lofty a word should be used: to "pittifulnes," SK's Canes have officially given up.

I'm hanging my hat on the long, long-shot Gators (great D, very mediocre O) ; Clemson; and Bama if Gators can't beat them.

SK, you hit on an interesting point about the SEC, are the defenses really that good or are the offenses so one dimensional that it makes the defenses look good. Last years bowl game results tend to indicate that the SEC may not be as good as they think they are. I don't know why there are no QBs in the SEC.

Reactions: Silver King
I just kind of look at how Bama can completely shut down LSUs running game but not a really good spread offense - football evolves. Back in the day, the Big 10 used to play smash mouth until offenses had to find a better way - UM brought that to them by beating them and joining them.

When the SEC ran the table, the teams that won had pretty darn good QBs. This is a down year for Qs across the board for the serious contenders (That can also play defense) look at how the RB position has dominated the early Heisman talk.

The better QBs are going to teams with "fun and gun" offenses or spread offenses. That's a major mistake because it won't get them to the NFL. The Gators have recruited some of the highest ranked QB prospects (Brantley, Driskel, Brissette) in the past few years But, you have to have a coach who knows how to develop them.

McElwain was doing a great job with Grier until Grier screwed up. If he can develop Harris as quickly, Grier will never get his job back. I saw improvement this week but that was against a weak defense. I would suggest they try another QB next week so they at least have a back up. The announcers were pointing out that it was dangerous to let Harris run the ball. The Gators should be able to beat FAU in the first half.

If Harris develops as quickly as Grier did, the Gators have a great chance to beat FSU and Bama. They also need their o-line to get healthy. Last week only one starter was playing. I also didn't hear much from the defensive secondary. They should be real busy against FSU and Bama.

No matter what, the rest of the season will be great. I love college football!

Great points Choc - Go Gators if they beat Bama I'm sold, should be a good game and they're getting harder to find this late.

Quarterbacks are no longer qb's at the HS & college level. Very few can actually read defenses and check down or change plays. The physical freaks of nature (Cam Newton) are not prevelent enough to carry the position into the future. Carolina has figured out to let Cam be Cam, they have far more qb designed runs, and are reaping the rewards. I watch college games and am disgusted by how inaccurate power 5 qb's are with their passing, how late they are with their throws, and how quickly they give up on the play. What I like about McElwain is he has Harris standing in and making reads, the problem is Harris is not an accurate passer.

I agree, Shortpasser. Until this week, Harris chose to run with the ball rather than stay in the pocket and find an open receiver. He did occassionally run out then find a receiver. At least that was better than him trying to run down field.

His passes were off frequently. I guess that shows you how great the Gator receivers are. I wonder who was responsible for recruiting them?

Quarterbacks are no longer qb's at the HS & college level. Very few can actually read defenses and check down or change plays. The physical freaks of nature (Cam Newton) are not prevelent enough to carry the position into the future. Carolina has figured out to let Cam be Cam, they have far more qb designed runs, and are reaping the rewards. I watch college games and am disgusted by how inaccurate power 5 qb's are with their passing, how late they are with their throws, and how quickly they give up on the play. What I like about McElwain is he has Harris standing in and making reads, the problem is Harris is not an accurate passer.
Spoken like the first family of Tarpon drop back passers who hold most of the school's records.

I'm not an SEC fan even though I do believe they are probably the best football conference. That said, I am a bit fed up with the arrogance of the league. I will only become a true believer and admirer when they start playing 9 conference games like the other power conferences. While every other major conference has their conference schedules peaking right now, we have SEC teams playing FBS non-power cupcakes and FCS schools last week and next week. At this point in the season!!? Every year it's the same damn thing. This nonsense has to stop. They must schedule 9 conference games. Everyone else does. What is the league afraid of? Then and only then, will the SEC get my total respect. Sorry SK but I am a paisan, northern boy, you know? I still like me some Lynard Skynard and Marshall Tucker Band though. How'd you like my Syracuse Orange performance vs. Clemson?

Ok, Florida will play FSU, South Carolina will play Clemson, and Georgia will play Georgia Tech in the last week of the season. Are those enough ranked teams for you? Would you rather Florida played Miami? That would be an easy win. By the way, several SEC teams still have conference games. Remember the Iron Bowl and the Egg Bowl? LSU still has to play Texas A&M and Missouri will play Arkansas. They are not all resting up for their bowl games!

Tell that Yankee boy Choc!! Seriously Laz, my Paisan, I'm an SEC fall-back fan, primarily because the Canes have been dormant for so damn long. I've liked Georgia and Bama before they were really good. And when I was a kid I liked USC. I love college football, can take or leave the NFL. The SEC had their day, now its just waiting to see what conference can go get it and make a run. If Michigan keeps progressing and OSU keeps winning it may be there turn again.

Orangmen looked good, that was going to be a tough game for Clemson. And what about Molly Hatchet

Ok, Florida will play FSU, South Carolina will play Clemson, and Georgia will play Georgia Tech in the last week of the season. Are those enough ranked teams for you? Would you rather Florida played Miami? That would be an easy win. By the way, several SEC teams still have conference games. Remember the Iron Bowl and the Egg Bowl? LSU still has to play Texas A&M and Missouri will play Arkansas. They are not all resting up for their bowl games!

Ahh Choctaw, my beloved SEC and Florida Gator fan. You know I love ya so you also know I'm prolly going to present some historical data to try and prove my point. For starters lets just look at the Florida Gators schedule over the years:

FACT - It has been 24 years since Florida has played a regular season, out of state game vs. a non SEC Power 5 team! Almost a quarter century! September 21, 1991. Steve Spurrier took the Gators to Syracuse and was bounced by the Orangemen 38-21. Yes, I still called them the Orangemen. Both teams finished 10-2 that season.

FACT - The Gators have only played 3 regular season, out of state games vs non SEC Power 5 teams since 1983. They are:
1991 at (10-2) Syracuse. Result: Loss 21-38
1986 at (5-5-1) Rutgers. Result: Win 15-3 (game was held at the Meadowlands - In NJ but not Rutgers home field.)
1983 at (4-6-1) Southern Cal. Result: Tie 19-19

I can go on and on, but seriously? Just sayin'.

Last edited:
LAZL, your original point was that they do not play enough conference games, not out-of-state games. Personally, I prefer the in-state rivalry games to end the season. I always cheer for both Florida and FSU all year until their rivalry game. Then I cheer for the team that has the best chance to win the national championship.

I think other conferences hide behind too many conference games. They don't have challenge games against other conferences. Plus, if you are in a weak conference, even a perfect record might not help.

I would love the NCAA to require one neutral site game against another Power 5 conference team every year. That would help to see who really is the best conference.

Choctaw_fan, I promise I did not plant that idea on the bleacherreport. Wish I could take the credit. As I said the season is peaking and we've got to watch that nonsense. But hey, while we're on the Florida Gators, let's look at their annual schedule. Over the past 36 seasons (1980-2015) Florida has gone 299-102-4 in the regular season. Pretty darn impressive, right? But out of those 405 contests, only 117 have been played outside the state of Florida. That's less than 29%!! I have to check the Texas Longhorns but I'm pretty sure no other major college has this kind of scheduling advantage. In fact, there is only one season in the past 36 years that Florida played 5 out of state games in a regular season. It was 1995 and they actually played at Georgia.
In 23 of the past 36 seasons, the Gators played an average of 2.8 regular season games outside the sunshine state. This is an unbelievable advantage for any major program. And in my view, a bit unfair.

If you lived in the freezing cold, don't you want to come to the warm of Florida? i know I did when I was in Virginia. The same thing happens to their basketball and baseball teams. Most early season games are played in Florida.

The question I have is why do FCS teams always have to travel? Probably because it allows for a much bigger pay day. They don't have large stadiums and the Power 5 fans would probably not travel to their local. So actually, playing at Florida is a win-win for both teams!

Grier is the real deal...The Gators are loaded with freshmen and sophomores and will be a powerhouse soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT