ADVERTISEMENT

Oxbridge Academy

sflacoach

May 12, 2016
Although I just created this account today, I have checked in to read this board without an account from time to time before. Figured I'd finally make an account. Officially joined the staff at Oxbridge as a support staff member this calendar year.

2016 Season Schedule:

5/20 - @ Palm Beach Lakes/Deerfield Beach (at PBL)
8/19 - @ Columbus
8/26 - @ DeMatha (Maryland)
9/1 - vs Carol City
9/8 - vs Royal Palm Beach
9/16 - @ West Orange
9/22 - vs Saint John Paul II (District)
9/29 - vs American Heritage Delray (District)
10/7 - BYE
10/13 - vs IMG Academy
10/21 - vs American
10/28 - @ Cardinal Newman (District)
11/3 - vs Everglades

Also - Drummer61, I seem to recall that you noted Oxbridge played a "soft schedule" in 2015. What are your honest thoughts on the 2016 schedule?

Although I just created this account today, I have checked in to read this board without an account from time to time before. Figured I'd finally make an account. Officially joined the staff at Oxbridge as a support staff member this calendar year.

2016 Season Schedule:

8/19 - @ Columbus
9/1 - vs Carol City
9/16 - @ West Orange
10/7 - BYE
10/13 - vs IMG Academy
10/21 - vs American
11/3 - vs Everglades

Also - Drummer61, I seem to recall that you noted Oxbridge played a "soft schedule" in 2015. What are your honest thoughts on the 2016 schedule?

That schedule looks pretty demanding...

I hope y'all are getting some good players to move in...

It could be a long season...

Reactions: COBRACommand

2016 Season Schedule:

8/19 - @ Columbus
9/1 - vs Carol City
9/16 - @ West Orange
10/7 - BYE
10/13 - vs IMG Academy
10/21 - vs American
11/3 - vs Everglades

Yeah, quite a few cupcakes on that schedules.

Columbus, Dematha and IMG are top notch games.

West Orange got a stud QB transfer. Carol City has been emerging.

AHD is a super tough team for anyone.

The rest is garbage but what do you expect? Half the schedule is loaded

Reactions: sflacoach
I'm impressed with your schedule, particulary for a 3A school that has only been around a few years. Agree with nolebull813 for the most part.
You can't control your District games versus Pope John Paul II and Cardinal Newman , not sure what Royal Palm Beach will be this year but last year they were an average 7A 1st round losing team. American was basically an average first round losing 8A team but I am pretty sure they are expected to be...yeah basically -8A garbage this year in Dade.
8A Everglades is probably a 3 win team (4 at best) in but better than playing a 3 win 4A team I guess...
Overall, it is obvious Oxbridge Academy is trying to build and earn respect by making this schedule.

Stud QB from MA is a plus for West Orange, but I don't think they will be as strong as the 2015 West Orange team. I think Oxbridge has a good shot at taking this one @ West Orange.

Columbus will likely be down a bit from last year but they were a legit top 100 team last year in my opinion. Won't be easy.

Carol City is supposedly going to be very good again but will play in that 3 headed monster district with Northwestern and Miami Central. I see you got Carol City Home back to back years there. Last year Oxbridge held tight for 3 quarters vs Carol City. Could be another good one...

I think 7+ wins here would be very impressive for a 3A School. Good luck!

2016 Season Schedule:

8/19 - @ Columbus
9/1 - vs Carol City
9/16 - @ West Orange
10/7 - BYE
10/13 - vs IMG Academy
10/21 - vs American
11/3 - vs Everglades

Welcome coach as I live not to far from your school.. Nice field on Military Trail and l like Mr Koch who founded your school.. The schedule is MUCH improved and I wish you guys well.. My old school Don Bosco Prep has played some Fla teams and will be down in Sept to play AHP.. AHD just lost a baller named Bryant in a shooting on 95.. I may come over and watch you play against IMG.. All the best coach as West Palm has no good teams so maybe you guys can be the BIG DOG here..

Last edited:

Nole, will I you meet in Plantation for Bosco game??

Nole, didn't BC destroy AHD last year or the year before?? I always thought that AHP was the best one in terms of football prowess.

@ Drummer61, I believe you may be thinking of Bergen Catholic hosting AHD up in Oradell last year? I don't recall DB playing AHD the last few years. AHD is generally a 3A state contender and AHP is usually a 5A state contender. I think AHP at home will fair a lot better versus DB than AHD @ BC last year.

AHP has been a top 5 team in Broward County for the last few years and they likely will for the coming years as well. AHP is pretty much a shoe in top 100 finishing team of late.

I watched a lot of local football and feel I have an unbiased opinion of local SFL teams.
Last year in Broward County I made and finalized 3 tiers of teams after watching a lot of games,film, box scores etc...:

STA
Flanagan

Hallandale
AHP
Deerfield Beach

Coconut Creek
Plantation
Miramar
Boyd Anderson
Coral Springs Charter

I would make AHP #2 in Broward pre-season and, between 5-10 in the state of FL pre-season for 2016 as of May.

who is the best team in Coral springs?

2014 - Coral Springs High School (First round 8A Loss @ Flanagan but put up a hell of a fight)

2015 - Coral Springs Charter (11-0 perfect season Independent team - 4 D1 Players, 4 D2,D3 or Juco

2016 - Stoneman Douglas (That is what I predict) Sleeper team that will have to battle Deerfield Beach and Piper to make the post-season.

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed a few Coral Springs schools get good run there. Coral Springs actually has decent talent but the best usually get scooped up by STA, AHP, AHD, Cardinal Gibbons and other privates. I'll put it to you like this... The best WR (in the nation according to many) and RB in Broward right now are from Coral Springs. I believe both would be zoned for Coral Glades High School (who happens to have a horrendous record for the last few years). Both of the AHP star RBs last year were Coral Springs kids.

CS Charter will very likely be significantly down from last year. They lost a lot of talent and a great coach that got a job as grad. assistant at FIU.

CS Charter losses:

WR Calvin Jackson - Toledo
RB Kalen Carson - Austin Peay
LB Kevin Soltis - Louisville
DE Christopher Judge - Columbia

I believe 4 other players to D2,D3 and Juco.

@ Drummer61, I believe you may be thinking of Bergen Catholic hosting AHD up in Oradell last year? I don't recall DB playing AHD the last few years. AHD is generally a 3A state contender and AHP is usually a 5A state contender. I think AHP at home will fair a lot better versus DB than AHD @ BC last year.

AHP has been a top 5 team in Broward County for the last few years and they likely will for the coming years as well. AHP is pretty much a shoe in top 100 finishing team of late.

I watched a lot of local football and feel I have an unbiased opinion of local SFL teams.
Last year in Broward County I made and finalized 3 tiers of teams after watching a lot of games,film, box scores etc...:

STA
Flanagan

Hallandale
AHP
Deerfield Beach

Coconut Creek
Plantation
Miramar
Boyd Anderson
Coral Springs Charter

I would make AHP #2 in Broward pre-season and, between 5-10 in the state of FL pre-season for 2016 as of May.

2016 Season Schedule:

8/19 - @ Columbus
9/1 - vs Carol City
9/16 - @ West Orange
10/7 - BYE
10/13 - vs IMG Academy
10/21 - vs American
11/3 - vs Everglades

Oxbridge coach,who according to the PBPost, was making over $200,000 had been fired and given the gate...sfacoach, please explain what's going on at Oxbridge,i.e sexual harassment and football over academics??????????????????????

I have no knowledge about anything the alleged sexual harassment. I mean, I've seen the PBP article, but that's it. Never had the privilege of meeting Parsons.

Sponsky is a great guy - not entirely sure about all the allegations against him.

Socha wasn't apart of the sexual harassment allegations. His firing came as a shock to all of us.

As for football above academics, I'd like to know how they determined that. We specifically held late practices (5:30-7:30 for example) just so our guys would have time to go to a study hall session once school got out at 3:30. As for the reports that some of our players had low reading levels: I don't know who can read at what level, but I can tell you that the whole purpose of the school was to give students a chance a high-level education no matter what background they came from. To me, a person (whether a student-athlete or not) should not be turned away because they can't read at a certain level. Who is to say it is their fault? Perhaps other teachers failed them? Perhaps they had no structure or discipline before? If they are making use of the resources (ie tutors) that the school provided to them (them as in everyone, not just athletes) then why shouldn't they be at a school created on the basis of allowing all to enjoy a high-level education?

Okay so whats are the truths... tells us the real reason why these folks were fired????

I have no knowledge about anything the alleged sexual harassment. I mean, I've seen the PBP article, but that's it. Never had the privilege of meeting Parsons.

Sponsky is a great guy - not entirely sure about all the allegations against him.

Socha wasn't apart of the sexual harassment allegations. His firing came as a shock to all of us.

As for football above academics, I'd like to know how they determined that. We specifically held late practices (5:30-7:30 for example) just so our guys would have time to go to a study hall session once school got out at 3:30. As for the reports that some of our players had low reading levels: I don't know who can read at what level, but I can tell you that the whole purpose of the school was to give students a chance a high-level education no matter what background they came from. To me, a person (whether a student-athlete or not) should not be turned away because they can't read at a certain level. Who is to say it is their fault? Perhaps other teachers failed them? Perhaps they had no structure or discipline before? If they are making use of the resources (ie tutors) that the school provided to them (them as in everyone, not just athletes) then why shouldn't they be at a school created on the basis of allowing all to enjoy a high-level education?

You obviously know the program better than anyone who is going to post on here. As a product of a private school, I know there is an expectation of the level of the education that you are paying for (especially at 31,500 a year).

Parents are going to complain on two fronts
1) tuition is raised to higher amounts due to the number of reduced or free tuition (I am sure going to a higher # of athletes) and
2) paying for tutors to bring these students up to the right educational level. Part of choosing to send your child to a 31,500 a year private school is the exclusivity (ask Benjamin School Parents). Having to pay for remediation tutors flies in the face of why I would be willing to pay 31,500.

I think they would also look at some of the facilities that were built including a 1500 person stadium for a school that has 580 students. I would look at the sports medicine room, the weight room, the locker room. While these are visually appealing to an 8th grader or a student who has played at another school who doesn't have these things. These things can be infuriating to a parent who is paying 31,500 for an "Oxbridge" education.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT