ADVERTISEMENT

OT Willie Taggart gets Oregon job

USF is going to put all their eggs in the Strong basket if he wants it that is.

I was disappointed to hear this. He did a great job at USF. But, all good coaches get opportunities to move up to bigger programs. Best of luck to him!

I don't believe Willie Taggart will find success at Oregon, as far as USF I don't see it ever becoming a program that can compete beyond what USF did this year.

Go Canes Go!

Pay or let em play in the coach market, he gonna be havin to play the National Champion next year.

As far as Strong goes, he is a great NFL coach but college isn't his thing. Strong will not be able to maintain Taggart's success at USF. What got Coach Taggart over the hump as USF was the offense. If you can score points, you can get big time jobs in college. This is an offensive coordinators league. Offense puts butts in the seats. His first 2 years, he ran a west coast, pro-style offense that Stanford ran under Harbaugh and didn't have success at USF. USF offense will work at Oregon.

As far as Strong goes, he is a great NFL coach but college isn't his thing. Strong will not be able to maintain Taggart's success at USF. What got Coach Taggart over the hump as USF was the offense. If you can score points, you can get big time jobs in college. This is an offensive coordinators league. Offense puts butts in the seats. His first 2 years, he ran a west coast, pro-style offense that Stanford ran under Harbaugh and didn't have success at USF. USF offense will work at Oregon.

what you talkin about willis? strong has been a college coach forever and a few days and taggart didnt do jack squat at usf until he got his ol college coach papa joe in the mix

Good fo Mr Taggart!

9199202_ori.jpg

I don't want any defensive coaches as the HC. It usually doesn't work out (Saban being the exception, but USF will never be Bama).

what you talkin about willis? strong has been a college coach forever and a few days and taggart didnt do jack squat at usf until he got his ol college coach papa joe in the mix

I didn't mean strong. I was reading an article about Charlie Weis so that's who I was thinking about. Strong wouldn't be a good fit for USF. Taggart success came from switching his offense. That's exactly what I said. He didn't do well his first couple years because he was trying to run a west coast, pro-style offense. Everyone knows Joe Kinnan helped with the offense. Most head coaches have a guy behind the scenes orchestrating their offense.

I didn't mean strong. I was reading an article about Charlie Weis so that's who I was thinking about. Strong wouldn't be a good fit for USF. Taggart success came from switching his offense. That's exactly what I said. He didn't do well his first couple years because he was trying to run a west coast, pro-style offense. Everyone knows Joe Kinnan helped with the offense. Most head coaches have a guy behind the scenes orchestrating their offense.

I aints none a head coach no does i wants to be. if'n I wuz ans dids. I wont need no orchestrators behinds my scene. You all rights?

Hopefully, Strong can maintain the program. It never really materialized at Texas. USF can continue the success as long as he can keep the offense rolling. I think he will do a good job recruiting.

People are quick to forget.

1. USF isnt Texas... much easier for him to win here

2. lets no forget his time at Louisville a job which at the time was more on scale with USF. because of his success there they end up in the ACC.

3. Lets forget his success at UF and how he killed it in recruiting there. He'd be the head coach at Florida if not for some out of touch boosters.

Best possible hire USF could've made they got their 1st choice many cant say that like LSU and Oregon for that.

Reactions: The Prep Fan
People are quick to forget.

1. USF isnt Texas... much easier for him to win here

2. lets no forget his time at Louisville a job which at the time was more on scale with USF. because of his success there they end up in the ACC.

3. Lets forget his success at UF and how he killed it in recruiting there. He'd be the head coach at Florida if not for some out of touch boosters.

Best possible hire USF could've made they got their 1st choice many cant say that like LSU and Oregon for that.

I think you right on dis one peezy.

I think you right on dis one peezy.

As long as he doesn't make the same mistake that Taggart and himself made in their first couple years at USF and Texas. They attempted to run pro-style type offenses and it flopped. I personally think Strong is a better defensive coordinator than head coach but I wish them the best of luck.

As long as he doesn't make the same mistake that Taggart and himself made in their first couple years at USF and Texas. They attempted to run pro-style type offenses and it flopped. I personally think Strong is a better defensive coordinator than head coach but I wish them the best of luck.

Agree, Pro Style offense won't work here anymore (even though it did under Leavitt) but right now the team is not built for that type of ball.

Charlie was a good HC at Louisville... Not sure what makes you think he can't be at USF... People USF IS NOT TEXAS!

I'm glad he's back in the state of Florida. He's a very good coach! So how many of those Florida kids who were heading to Louisville will go to USF instead?

Will he make an impact on recruiting at the big 3 in Florida?

Impact? Maybe slightly with the depth department... UM, UF, and FSU are still going to win most of those battles on name alone. They will still overlook certain players that Charlie will get

Just imagine this though. Lamar Jackson overlooked by the big 3 end up at USF. That is something I think you will see.

Impact? Maybe slightly with the depth department... UM, UF, and FSU are still going to win most of those battles on name alone. They will still overlook certain players that Charlie will get

Just imagine this though. Lamar Jackson overlooked by the big 3 end up at USF. That is something I think you will see.

Lamar Jackson was overlooked by the big 3 because they wanted him to play WR instead of QB, but I get what you're saying.

Reactions: peezy28
Agree, Pro Style offense won't work here anymore (even though it did under Leavitt) but right now the team is not built for that type of ball.

Charlie was a good HC at Louisville... Not sure what makes you think he can't be at USF... People USF IS NOT TEXAS!

Willie Taggart was a good HC at Western Kentucky and did well in his last 2 years at USF. No one is denying that he can be a good HC/recruiter but he has to have the right tools in place.

Taggart did an excellent job at USF and parlayed that into a huge job with Oregon. Congratulations to him. I think Strong is walking into a great situation.

I haven't read anything after he was hired. Has an OC been hired? Is Joe Kinnan an option? I mean, I definitely noticed his fingerprints on USF's offense.

Did anyone catch the article in the Sarasota Herald Tribune bringing attention to the timing of Joe's troubles with Superintendent Mills, his eventual retirement, and then coming on board as a offensive consultant at USF and then USF's sudden explosion offensively? When I mentioned earlier in this post I didn't see Willie excelling at Oregon, this was what I was specifically pointing to and why I don't see Willie Taggart doing well at Oregon.

Go Canes Go!

Did anyone catch the article in the Sarasota Herald Tribune bringing attention to the timing of Joe's troubles with Superintendent Mills, his eventual retirement, and then coming on board as a offensive consultant at USF and then USF's sudden explosion offensively? When I mentioned earlier in this post I didn't see Willie excelling at Oregon, this was what I was specifically pointing to and why I don't see Willie Taggart doing well at Oregon.

Go Canes Go!

I didn't read the article, but it was obvious that Joe had a big impact. I don't agree with you about Taggart and his potential success. He's been successful everywhere he's been. He'll have all the resources you could ever need at Oregon and has already made a great DC hire. I think he will win and win soon. I'm excited for him.

I didn't read the article, but it was obvious that Joe had a big impact. I don't agree with you about Taggart and his potential success. He's been successful everywhere he's been. He'll have all the resources you could ever need at Oregon and has already made a great DC hire. I think he will win and win soon. I'm excited for him.

Jgking83, he's been successful every where he's been? His over-all coaching record is below .500 at 40-45 after 6 years of being a HBC, he's never won a conference championship, never won a bowl game as a HBC............... I guess success is measured by where you set the bar to determine success? For me I'm just not seeing the traits I look for when trying to gauge the potential for success as a HBC. I see him as a guy best suited for a mid level college coaching position, and felt the positive changes we saw the last 2 years offensively at USF had Joe's finger prints all over it.

Go Canes Go!

Jgking83, he's been successful every where he's been? His over-all coaching record is below .500 at 40-45 after 6 years of being a HBC, he's never won a conference championship, never won a bowl game as a HBC............... I guess success is measured by where you set the bar to determine success? For me I'm just not seeing the traits I look for when trying to gauge the potential for success as a HBC. I see him as a guy best suited for a mid level college coaching position, and felt the positive changes we saw the last 2 years offensively at USF had Joe's finger prints all over it.

Go Canes Go!

He inherited absolute messes at WKU and USF. Oregon just hired him. I guess they have a different opinion than you as well. We'll find out soon enough.

I think the jury is still out on Taggart.

Things looked dreadful at USF the first few years, but you have admit they progressed by leaps and bounds in '15 and '16.

Oregon is a big as it gets, he must win early and often. If not he gets the Charlie Strong, Lovie Smith, etc treatment. :oops:

Reactions: peezy28
I think Taggart knows what he has to do. No doubt, he will do well with recruiting there. It is a big job and we shall see whether he is up to the task. I wish him well and think the jury is out as to whether he succeeds or not.

I think Taggart knows what he has to do. No doubt, he will do well with recruiting there. It is a big job and we shall see whether he is up to the task. I wish him well and think the jury is out as to whether he succeeds or not.
Gotta score points now a days, unless your name is Saban. Hire a young gun OC, and watch Taggart bring in some athletes. I wish him well...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT