ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating this season

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Anybody else notice a difference this season? Is this another residual from Covid?

I generally don’t comment on officiating much, because I have found over all the years I’ve played and been a fan, bad calls come from a random black hole in the universe and Karma tends to even them out over a game, a season or a career. I’ve really only seen a couple of instances in my career where a call was nefarious.

I should also say that I appreciate today’s referee. It’s a thankless job, players are increasingly disrespectful and I would have never considered doing that in my day (my coaches would have broke their foot off in my arse, if I had). I watched a kid laugh at a ref sending him to the sideline when he was doing him a favor by not throwing him out of the game.

They’re is such a shortage of refs, its changed the nights we play some games in SW Florida so everyone had a crew to cover their game.

However, I’ve never seen the penalties come like I have this season. I thought it was just the Tarpons, and trust me they’re undisciplined, take too many procedure or offsides penalties a game, and have been awful with unsportsmanlike calls. Most of those they earned. But last week Ft Myers in their game against us had had 195 yards of penalties. We had to be close. It simply took over the game.

This year the amount of holding calls has been astronomical (was there a change in what to look for?) and the frequent ref huddles to discuss calls seems way up. I left our game last night two minutes early, right before the rain and 1580AM broadcast crew were taking about this as the Tarpons where in the process of taking 45 yards of penalties in a row.

**Fast forward, Friday night Nov 5th: listening to the PC Pirates game against Kathleen in the first quarter, after refs twice singled conflicting calls on a line to gain and a PAT.

Then after a slew of flags, one announcer says, "We can only hope this doesn’t turn into a flag fest like the past two games."

Last edited:
SK, hope all is well with you and the boys. Jambun's looking for you over at Josh's site. Your thread has his brain spinning. He baited me into talking politics and I've just finished serving 30 days. Tighten the boy up...will ya :)
Peace....

Last edited:
Hey Danny boy! All's well here, how you been? I figured he'd have weighed in by now, guess he's found a permanent home there, and doesn't even check in here anymore.

As the tears flow......don't know how many times my old kin folks sang that famous line " Ole Danny boy..." to me while growing up. Never gave it much thought, but they sure seemed to like it. All's well here man, just trying to "hang in there." Been retired five years and slumming it. Love every minute. Wish you the best.

Reactions: Silver King
Happy Flags, they come out smiling at you mid-air. I don't know what C19 would have to do with it unless there is a new breed of Refs.

IDK maybe some Refs just want to get noticed!! I guess they believe they get paid extra for each flag thrown.

SK btw where is Neutral? You two are like itch & scratch, just realized he hasn't been on here for months.

Watched some of the game last night and not sure if Riverview was just suffering from a emotional low of that 2nd half implosion against Venice last week or not? The Tarps do play some inspired ball football though, and subsequently made for some late game jitters for the Riverview faithfull I am sure!

I was looking at some of the stats from the other board, that Josh graciously provides even to non-subscribers and believe me his board isn't a proverbial interstate of internet traffic either. Its dominated by maybe 6-8 individuals in posts with a trailing band of lurkers after that..........Josh's links to the FhSAA is probably its best claim to potentially lure consistent traffic there.......my 2 cents! Perhaps too Neutral's sermons, like those of the street corner evangelist that the casual passer-byer viewed as the ramblings of a crazed religious zealot are now proving to be indeed prophetic? The crumbling of community based high school sports programs, and instead being replaced by high profile sports programs that market themselves a landing spot as means to potential championships for anyone wanting to come there regardless of where they actually are from, has begun to erode interest within those same communities as well as forums found on the internet?

Last edited:
Interesting insight as always. I hope nothing bad happened to Neut, I am even suspicious that he and Wave left the board around the same time. Could it have been the pair's protest because we cancelled Poster of the Year festivities due to Corona/Covid/China Virus? Sure.

Of course. that gets me thinking; I've seen all sorts of proof they aren't the same person, but like Bigfoot, I still believe, they are. Both are old school, "Maaa Maaa Myyyyy Generation" guys who called it like they saw it and were right far more than left (wrong).

Now for this season: Thankful we got it in, but we're the Free State of Florida, by God.

Let me start out by saying this group of Fish played hard, just didn't play smart. I have never seen a Tarpon team take penalties at a worst time than this team did consistently. Maybe its because they were always getting them, but I'll let the band speak for what I thought it was (They wilted at the pressure points of certain games; coaches screaming watch the ball, and still jump, stuff like that). It cost them at least two wins. They just never made a dent in that. As an example, Riverview only scored once on offense with their highly touted Mich State WR (Glover; I thought they'd blow us out) and that was because we gave them 30 yards of penalties (Two encroachments for 1st downs). The other scores came from a punt return and fumble returned for a TD.

So, its hard for me to get excited about a 5-win team making the playoffs (we would have had six had the lightening held off for 6 more minutes to get to half and count that game at Cypress). But I hope this wasn't this Tarpon team's last waltz and they get the chance to play another game together.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT