ADVERTISEMENT

Noles 4 in a row

peezy28

Feb 25, 2003
Thoughts on the game?

The Gators went 6 in a row from 04-09 if UF wants to stop FSU from matching that they need to find a QB ASAP.

Deandre Johnson would kill it there.. (or maybr Michigan ) but it feels like he is going to get the Ray Rice Treatment and be blacklisted.

Reactions: 181pl
The Gators have two highly rated red-shirted QBs. They will definitely be better at that position next year.

The problem this year was the number of injuries. Most teams would not have won another game after losing that many starters both on offense and defense. Overall, I think the Gators had a good year and possibly a better year than FSU.

Reactions: Cat_Scratch
I think UF is in good hands with coach Mac. Two time SEC East champs not bad considering the mess he took over. Its not just the qb position, they need to recruit a heavily on the offensive side of the ball.

The Gators have two highly rated red-shirted QBs. They will definitely be better at that position next year.

The problem this year was the number of injuries. Most teams would not have won another game after losing that many starters both on offense and defense. Overall, I think the Gators had a good year and possibly a better year than FSU.

Other than the big loss to FSU. LOL.:)

I think UF is in good hands with coach Mac. Two time SEC East champs not bad considering the mess he took over. Its not just the qb position, they need to recruit a heavily on the offensive side of the ball.

Florida 6A is tougher than the SEC Least.

Reactions: Zoe Boy

Choctaw... You have to ignore ratings sometimes... If you saw Franks play in the spring game or even saw him play in High School you would consider him overrated... He could pan out but what I saw was him throwing a lot of 50 50 passes to a 6'5 230lb WR named Keith Gavin who dominated 5A competition.

Wait... Did you really say the Gators had a better year than FSU... That is about the dumbest thing I've heard today LMAO. SEC East Champs is not going to feel good after losing bad to your #1 rival and getting trounced by Bama.

We all know the SEC east is not the best of ball right now. As for offensive talent I think its QB and Oline... Scarlett is a good back and you have another really good one in Davis coming in next year. Cronkite is more built for a spread zone type team. Your WR's are really good but without a competent QB and a sustaining OL its null and void.

We all know the SEC east is not the best of ball right now. As for offensive talent I think its QB and Oline... Scarlett is a good back and you have another really good one in Davis coming in next year. Cronkite is more built for a spread zone type team. Your WR's are really good but without a competent QB and a sustaining OL its null and void.

Agree, its going to take a couple of recruiting classes but what I'm getting at is that under Will Muschamp, the program was going downhill fast. With Mac, it's headed back up. Many were predicting a 3rd place finish in the SEC east, and some a losing record. Make fun of the SEC East all you want, this Gator team would be conference champs in any of the mid-major conferences.

Being a champ in the AAC is not something to brag about though. Also not saying UF would lose but it would be interesting to see them play a few of the high powered offenses in the AAC like Houston or USF (again not saying they would lose so don't fly off the hinges would just be interesting to see the matchup). Tennessee, Down, UGA, Way Down, Kentucky as is, Vandy as is, Missouri way down.

UF to me is down as well. The West is Bama... Bama is just a step above everyone else right now.

Being a champ in the AAC is not something to brag about though. Also not saying UF would lose but it would be interesting to see them play a few of the high powered offenses in the AAC like Houston or USF (again not saying they would lose so don't fly off the hinges would just be interesting to see the matchup). Tennessee, Down, UGA, Way Down, Kentucky as is, Vandy as is, Missouri way down.

UF to me is down as well. The West is Bama... Bama is just a step above everyone else right now.

Subtract Alabama from the SEC and the remaining 13 are evenly matched. UF loses to Tenn, but beats So.Carolina and Vandy, teams that Tenn lost to. UF lost to Arkansas but beat LSU who beat Arkansas. You see a lot of that in the SEC this year.

Reactions: Zoe Boy
Well that i agree with. There are alot of evenly matched teams in the SEC

Choctaw... You have to ignore ratings sometimes... If you saw Franks play in the spring game or even saw him play in High School you would consider him overrated... He could pan out but what I saw was him throwing a lot of 50 50 passes to a 6'5 230lb WR named Keith Gavin who dominated 5A competition.

Wait... Did you really say the Gators had a better year than FSU... That is about the dumbest thing I've heard today LMAO. SEC East Champs is not going to feel good after losing bad to your #1 rival and getting trounced by Bama.

Not at all saying she's right in her analysis just that it sounds like she's talking about preseason expectation to how the season turned out. One was supposed to be a CFP team and the other a middle of their division team.

Not at all saying she's right in her analysis just that it sounds like she's talking about preseason expectation to how the season turned out. One was supposed to be a CFP team and the other a middle of their division team.

I get that part and don't get me wrong not making the CFP is a disappointment but beating your rival 31-13 is just a little cherry to put on a disappointing season.

Its just hard for me to say Florida did so well with what just happened and what may happen this week... Then if they slide in another bowl game that would be an 8-5 season which to me is a disappointment for any of the big 3. We all play for titles.

I've always had this extreme dislike for FSU, but by the end of the 1st half of the game Saturday I had to hand to the FSU defensive coaching staff. Every single time Florida went empty, they knew the QB didn't have the ability to make the quick read and deliver the ball....and they bring someone from the edge........it reminded me of what Nebraska did to Florida defensively in that Championship game was it 95 0r 94????? It made Florida very much one dimensional offensively. Additionally Cook is to me if he stays healthy, about the most complete back to come out of FSU.........say other than Warrick Dunn........what a difference maker he is !

I wanted this game bad for Florida not for state pride but for recruiting purposes. I wish now Florida wouldn't have won games this year early, and maybe forced coach Mac's hand on maybe giving one of the younger guys a look. Without a QB that can make quick reads and make all the quick throws, there isn't much hope for Florida in the near future in as far as a playoff hope is concerned.

Go Canes Go!

Gatorman that is the same thing I was saying... There is talent at UF but you need a competent QB to make them go.

Reactions: Cat_Scratch
I get that part and don't get me wrong not making the CFP is a disappointment but beating your rival 31-13 is just a little cherry to put on a disappointing season.

Its just hard for me to say Florida did so well with what just happened and what may happen this week... Then if they slide in another bowl game that would be an 8-5 season which to me is a disappointment for any of the big 3. We all play for titles.

Then is it fair to say all 3 had a disappointing season? No championships for the big 3? I want to make it clear I don't pull for any of the big 3. One won a division and made the conference championship. FSU can put a great finish on the end of the season with a big time bowl win if they get an orange bowl shot like the pundits are thinking. Miami clearly having the least luster out of the three for the end of the season. Although it is more than fair to say FSU did well to continue its dominance recruiting with the win Saturday, and very clearly have the edge at QB. Until they shore up that Oline, especially with their best one leaving, deondre is going to continue to take a beating. That's their biggest Achilles heel to me. Until the fix that they will continue to be the best of a group of three that has merely become just above average.

Wait... Did you really say the Gators had a better year than FSU? That is about the dumbest thing I've heard today LMAO.
Wait ... there's one better than that! Choctaw_fan complained that watching Michigan-OSU was a 4 hour waste of her time ... and she was the one who volunteered to watch it. You gotta be chewin up stupid pills with boof hands to admit to something that ridiculous :) :) :)

Reactions: peezy28
Florida losing will Grier set the program back two years. That kid was going to be very good for them. It's a shame what happened and of course the kid is mostly to blame, but it's very unfortunate for all the Gator fans.

Reactions: Silver King

Then is it fair to say all 3 had a disappointing season? No championships for the big 3? I want to make it clear I don't pull for any of the big 3. One won a division and made the conference championship. FSU can put a great finish on the end of the season with a big time bowl win if they get an orange bowl shot like the pundits are thinking. Miami clearly having the least luster out of the three for the end of the season. Although it is more than fair to say FSU did well to continue its dominance recruiting with the win Saturday, and very clearly have the edge at QB. Until they shore up that Oline, especially with their best one leaving, deondre is going to continue to take a beating. That's their biggest Achilles heel to me. Until the fix that they will continue to be the best of a group of three that has merely become just above average.

Looking at the rivals recruiting, looks like neither program is putting forth much effort to recruit offensive linemen. Only one recruit for either.

Wait ... there's one better than that! Choctaw_fan complained that watching Michigan-OSU was a 4 hour waste of her time ... and she was the one who volunteered to watch it. You gotta be chewin up stupid pills with boof hands to admit to something that ridiculous :) :) :)

Carefool Gnewt... They gone tell ya this place be "Gender Neutral" soon.

Thats a fair assessment

Gatorman that is the same thing I was saying... There is talent at UF but you need a competent QB to make them go.
Not only does a "competent QB" need smarts, a decent arm, and some toughness, he also has to be mobile enough, with the proliferation of the high octane spread offenses, to buy some time and move around while looking for an open receiver. The day of the flat footed cement shoe'd signal caller is dead. Even snail speed Peyton Manning learned to move around. Mobility, not speed, is a must. Got both ? Plus, plus...

FSU was realistically at most a 2 loss team so having three losses made this year a disappointment. They can hang their hat on beating both of their in-state rivals for the 4th year in a row.

Florida winning the SEC East is a commendable accomplishment even though the division is unexplainably weak. McElwain is proving to be a very good X's & O's coach. If he becomes an equally good recruiter Florida may own the SEC East as well as win the conference from time to time.

Reactions: peezy28
Thats a fair assessment

Not so fast! FSU and Florida came in highly touted and ranked. Miami by far had the least expectations, they certainly had no pre-season rank like the Gators and Noles, so I disagree with Bocefous that Miami had the "least luster" (We talking buffing cars here?).

FSU was so confident they decided this was good year for a mini-series on the sideline. Then when they were getting their doors blown off by Clemson (The worst loss of any of the Big 3 - unless Bama goes wild), Jimbo threw the camera crew off the sidelines. IMO, they had the veteran coach, with his guys in place, so that kind of makes them the biggest disappointment of the Big 3 by default.

Miami earned their ratings on what they did this year, then they lost a game that could have gone either way at FSU and it started a spiral; They finished strong and are on the way back. UF surprised me this season and are going to the title game, FSU surprised me too, but in the other direction. Miami only would have surprised me had they won two more games.

The Canes finished strong which is a good sign that Coach Richt's influence on the program is taking hold. Before the season many experts named Miami as their sleeper pick to watch for so there were some high expectations. Almost everybody thought the Canes were going to beat FSU when they played. In my opinion, the Canes year went about as expected with one to many losses (Notre Dame).

Not so fast! FSU and Florida came in highly touted and ranked. Miami by far had the least expectations, they certainly had no pre-season rank like the Gators and Noles, so I disagree with Bocefous that Miami had the "least luster" (We talking buffing cars here?).

FSU was so confident they decided this was good year for a mini-series on the sideline. Then when they were getting their doors blown off by Clemson (The worst loss of any of the Big 3 - unless Bama goes wild), Jimbo threw the camera crew off the sidelines. IMO, they had the veteran coach, with his guys in place, so that kind of makes them the biggest disappointment of the Big 3 by default.

Miami earned their ratings on what they did this year, then they lost a game that could have gone either way at FSU and it started a spiral; They finished strong and are on the way back. UF surprised me this season and are going to the title game, FSU surprised me too, but in the other direction. Miami only would have surprised me had they won two more games.
Wrong game ole fella. It was Louisville, not Clemson, that blew the 'Noles up.

Wrong game ole fella. It was Louisville, not Clemson, that blew the 'Noles up.
Here's the deal with SK. For several years, the boy been losin track of chit. None of us who close to him say nothin about it bacause we don't wanna hurt his feelins. For instance, he think he caught a couple passes last Thursday in the Turkey Bowl when in fack, nobody have even throwed nothin his way since 1989.

I don't know which rankings you're referring to but this is the preseason AP poll https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/preseason-ap-top-25-poll-alabama-clemson-oklahoma-top-first-2016-rankings/amp/?client=safari. (With Miami the top vote getter not ranked, they received 5 in the current) And this is the current. http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo tball/rankings/ap/.
FSU lower than they started and UF higher

I'm in no way trying to bash your canes, but they at one point this season were a talking point on ESPN and now you have to search to find their box score. Meanwhile the other two schools are getting plenty of pub. Now they have quietly had a respectable 8-4 record, and I agree with you about the detriment the FSU loss was that spiraled into a 4 game skid concluding with a loss to Notre Dame. Bowl game win or loss is irrelevant. If coach Richt can secure himself a real "Miami" recruiting class then the season will be a win for sure.

Look, I was comparing the Gators of last year to this year. After losing a QB, they came back and beat LSU in Baton Rouge! When was the last time that happened? They also lost most of their defensive secondary to injuries and still had one of the best defenses in the NCAA. As a Gator fan, I'm happy. The CFP isn't always the goal!

But I've also rooted for the Noles for the same number of years. They were disappointing. To lose to Louisville and NC was embarrasing for their program. I expected more from the best recruiter in Florida!

The sad part is no one is talking about the 9-2 USF Bulls. They had a great year but get little notice!

Actually that was the Louisville game and glad to know your watching our show LOL

Look, I was comparing the Gators of last year to this year. After losing a QB, they came back and beat LSU in Baton Rouge! When was the last time that happened? They also lost most of their defensive secondary to injuries and still had one of the best defenses in the NCAA. As a Gator fan, I'm happy. The CFP isn't always the goal!

But I've also rooted for the Noles for the same number of years. They were disappointing. To lose to Louisville and NC was embarrasing for their program. I expected more from the best recruiter in Florida!

The sad part is no one is talking about the 9-2 USF Bulls. They had a great year but get little notice!

I agree there that was embarrasing but I disagree here:

"The CFP isn't always the goal!"

Actually that is always the goal for UF, FSU, and UM... Titles... Not conference National Titles. Can't win one every year but that is always the goal. If it isn't then you have become USF.

I agree there that was embarrasing but I disagree here:

"The CFP isn't always the goal!"

Actually that is always the goal for UF, FSU, and UM... Titles... Not conference National Titles. Can't win one every year but that is always the goal. If it isn't then you have become USF.

For FSU I would agree, a CFP and National title should be the goal because they haven't had a change in head coach and recently won a national title. Golden and Muschamp both left a mess for Ritch and McElwain to fix.

Florida 6A is tougher than the SEC Least.
Then 5A is tougher than the ACC... lol. J/K
FSU needs to play Bama cause they so good...
FSU got lucky, Injuries killed the Gators this year. Half the defense was injured. 2 Cocoa freshmen stepped in because of injuries for UF, J Taylor and C Gardner. Both held their own with Gardner getting an INT in his first start.

IMHO the big 3 need to stay home and recruit home grown blood, except for QB's, they need to go to Tx or Cali for QB's.

Yup... FSU lucky alright... Lucky that we swapped ya Dalvin for Treon LMAO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT