ADVERTISEMENT

NFL to honor high schools who produced Super Bowl players

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
As part of the Super Bowl 50 celebration, my former HS teammate, Burton Lawless (Top 100 player in FHSAA history; Gator All American; Rated top Guard to play for UF; three Super Bowls with Cowboys X, XII, and XIII) told me he got a letter from Commissioner Robert Goodell yesterday saying that every player who played in the past 50 years in a Super Bowl will recieve a special gold football with their name on it to present to their high schools. You heard it here first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nulli Secundus
Fantastic! Something like this always helps to inspire the young players.

Last edited:
They do know how to market their brand. They even reach out to the National Inquirer crowd with this Brady stuff.

As part of the Super Bowl 50 celebration, my former HS teammate, Burton Lawless (... who played in two Super Bowls with Cowboys) told me he got a letter from Commissioner Robert Goodell yesterday saying that every player who played in ... a Super Bowl will receive a special gold football with their name on it to present to their high schools.
Nu'Trelle just have one question. Do these special balls gonna be minted from 24K gold bullion? Or made outta genuine pigskin, then covered with genuine gold paint?

If it's the latter, no sweat. If it's the former, Charlotte High better figure out how much its gonna cost to provide 24/7 armed security for Burton's balls.

I wonder if they'll highlight Anthony Hargrove considering they basically black listed him after falsely accusing him of being involved in the 'Bounty-Gate' scandal. However, still a Super Bowl player (and winner) from good ol' Port Charlotte High School!

Didn't Hernandez play for the Pats when they won the super bowl? Is he gonna get a golden ball too? Hope they don't let him out to present it to his HS. maybe they got a prison trophy case he can put it in.

Aaron Hernandez never played on a Super Bowl winning team for the Patriots, he was drafted in 2010. He did play on the 2011 AFC Championship team that lost Super Bowl 46 to the Giants 21-17.

According to SK's post at the top of the thread, gold footballs would be awarded by the NFL to all players who "participated" in the Super Bowl. That means both winners and losers would be recognized.

How about OJ, Eric Dikerson, Barry Sanders, Warren Moon, Deacon Jones. None made the Big Show. Wow.

Most players who've passed on have probably been buried or cremated, so they're probably not going to be able to handle them at all.

Come on Cat, didn't OJ get enough face time and notoriety in the biggest trial since the Scopes and Nuremberg Trials that helped make Kato Kaelin, The Kardashians and Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner famous?

Jefferson County is getting one. How many more schools in Florida are getting one? Be interesting to see which states get the most...

In Charlotte County, Lawless gets three with the Cowboys and Port Charlotte's Anthony Hargrove gets one with the Saints. I'm guessing some of the big power house counties have a bunch.

Last edited:
Lee County.. Deion Sanders North Fort Myers and Jammi German, Fort Myers. WAVE OUT!

Derrick Brooks was on the Bucs when they won and he is from Escambia County as is Emmit Smith. For Okaloosa County, Danny Wuerfel and EG Green, both from Fort Walton Beach High, played in the NFL and I don't think either played in a Super Bowl. Glen Coffee, also from FWB, might have made it if he stuck around more than one year.

I found this site where you can look up NFL stats by Florida high school name. It does not tell if the team went to the Super Bowl. I'm surprised that Choctaw had 5 go to the NFL. I only knew of 2. Niceville had 5 but from years ago (again need more research) and Crestview and Baker aren't even listed.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/high_schools.cgi?hs_state=FL

Vero has 1 Bryan Stork was the starting center for New England last year,as a rookie, haven't read anything in the papers about it though locally. And I noticed a guy I played with who was with Buffalo for a season isn't listed on that site though.

That's another one speaking of Kearse , Kenny Holmes who played opposite of Kearse won a SB with TN as well played at Vero/U of Miami and opposite of Strahan when he went to NY.He helped coach here at Vero actually a few years ago.

Super Bowlers from Brevard.

Wilbur Marshall, Astronaut High, played for the 1985 Bears and the Redskins in 1991.

Chris Collinsworth, Astronaut, played for the Bengals in several super bowls.

Brian Bollinger, From Melboiurne, played for the 49'ers in SB XXIX.

Cocoa has had 4 NFL players but none to play in a Super Bowl.

Reactions: Silver King
I did my buddy Burton a disservice - he was in three Super Bowls with the Cowboys, I forgot about XIII. Just figured that out today...Corrections made in previous posts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT