ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Combine

I watched Davin run against what was a Manatee defense loaded with a ton of D-1 talent......Manatee won the game but the thing I admired about Davin that day was that he on that day was running as strong in the 4th QT as he had at the very beginning of the game..........it was very telling about the type back he was in as far as his endurance. He has a natural between the tackles runner's vision and natural glide type moves with excellent acceleration.......Im good with his 40 time, its everything else about him that cant be coached that I love.......save with exception of the obvious need to improve on his pass blocking.

Go Canes Go!

So based on 40 times it appears Dalvin Cook would be the slowest skill playet on STA this year... if you believe these HS 40 times.

Sorry Broward your guy Epstein allegedly ran a sub 4.5 40... he ain't faster than Dalvin.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...13-nfl-combine-high-school-40-yard-dash-times
Epstein is not "my guy". I didn't just go make this stuff up. All I did was report his digital time from Nike - The same time digital device(s) used to time probably half a million kids over the last few years. Sorry for the confusion. Just reporting times from one of the more respected combines out there...

Speaking of Dalvin Cook how about 20 carries for 68 Yrds as a senior at MC in the state semi-final (2013). The final score escapes me at the moment :) ...#shamelesshomerplug

that game was much closer than the state title game played the next week.

Go Canes Go!
Don't remind me. A dropped 2pt. floater in the belly, 2 TD's called back (#1 double foul in endzone on receiver and db; #2 receiver call out in back of endzone..NOT ).
27-15 down there, but who remembers !!!!!

Dalvin Cook has football speed not track speed. I would consider Cook more a quick guy than a fast guy.

If you truck stick people like Fournette or run a 2.0 the first 20 yards like Cook does it really matter if you run a 4.5

Reactions: blackpopsicle
If you truck stick people like Fournette or run a 2.0 the first 20 yards like Cook does it really matter if you run a 4.5

Nope.

By comparison Keith Marshall killed the Combine last year in all categories and isn't even on a practice squad.... The tests really don't mean shit sometimes.

That's why I always thought the 40 yd run was kind of useless, especially for linemen. SK, what time did you run it in? There were some 300+ linemen who really struggled. I noticed this year they also measured a 10 yd time. That's a much more important number.

BTW, I saw a DB run a 4.29 today and he wasn't fasted in the combine. Poor guy!

SK, what time did you run it in?

Consistent 5.0, but SK weren't no 300lbs back then... Quickness off the ball is what counts for linemen of any era. Like night and day - I played against I guy 300+ today they're all over the place and alot of them can dunk a basketball.

I think when the Fridge broke in with Chicago there were like 3 guys listed at 300 in a few years there were like 80 - now its the norm on a D-line.

40 yd dash is very important but it isn't the end all. If a RB runs a 4.9 he probably isn't making it in the NFL. Cook is fast enough and a 4.5 doesn't drop his stock.

So based on 40 times it appears Dalvin Cook would be the slowest skill playet on STA this year... if you believe these HS 40 times.

Sorry Broward your guy Epstein allegedly ran a sub 4.5 40... he ain't faster than Dalvin.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...13-nfl-combine-high-school-40-yard-dash-times

Now this is a interesting post. I need to find a clinic that the STA strength coach is speaking at an see if I can find out a tip on how they develop all that speed.

Reactions: peezy28
SK, my son was only 240 but could NOT break 5.0. He was quick off the line, though. Against Phenix AL he was matched up with a 6'8" and 280 lb nose guard. The guy hovered over him but my son still was able to get past him to block at the next level. That team destroyed Choctaw but there were a few highlights. I think my son got player of the game honors mainly for his effort.

Now one of our RBs from Bell Glade ran a 4.39 in 1973 and 74 - granted they were on a stop watch, but in a game he was fastest human being I've seen until Mike "Speedy" Bellamy.

SK, do you remember a Belle Glade speedster named Latorious Terry...

I think he went by Todd Terry...

I saw him run back to back 4.29 in 1993...

Never panned out in college because the books got the best of him...

Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 - Tom Brady ran a 5.2 - Anquan Bouldin ran a 4.8 - All will be hall of famers - 40 times are not overly relevant.

SK, do you remember a Belle Glade speedster named Latorious Terry...

I think he went by Todd Terry...

I saw him run back to back 4.29 in 1993...

Never panned out in college because the books got the best of him...

Name sounds a little familiar, my buddy Roy Brown, the guy I was talking about would have been around Belle Glade back them, him and one of our cheeleaders returned there and were in the school system - he passed away about 6 years ago. He and another back we had from BG (225lb FB who was damn fast too) told me about running rabbits 37 years before that made Sports Illustrated.

No question that the Muck Boys have speed & agility and the rabbit runs are a big part of their tradition...

Seems like they aren't too much in to the books though...

We used to chase Box Turtles, Tip Cows and throw Hay Bails out in KS during the off season...

Where in Kansas? I spent a lot of my wild youth; 8 damn good years out there at St Mary of the Plains in Dodge City, at Ft Hays State, then Topeka and Lawrence working as a Policy Analyst for Governor Bennet and Gov Carlin before saying screw politics and heading home and getting my captain's license. I told a few girls I would have married up and stayed there if the Gulf of Mexico ended where the Oklahoma Border was.

What did Eisen run it in? I watch a little and heard him talk about it.

Women have always done amazing things in heels. My best accomplishment was standing in front of the desk of my boss and watching him squirm. He was already shorter than me and I was 6'2" in heels. What fun!

Where in Kansas? I spent a lot of my wild youth; 8 damn good years out there at St Mary of the Plains in Dodge City, at Ft Hays State, then Topeka and Lawrence working as a Policy Analyst for Governor Bennet and Gov Carlin before saying screw politics and heading home and getting my captain's license. I told a few girls I would have married up and stayed there if the Gulf of Mexico ended where the Oklahoma Border was.

Junction City - Fort Riley...

Attended Dodge City Community College in 88 & 89...

I think St Mary of the Plains went defunct my last year at DCCC...

Funny, so we shared and played on the same home field; Dodge City Memorial Stadium. Freakin wind could blow in that little indent in the High Plains.

SMPC closed down around then I think. I remember one of their last football seasons, they had a California coach who recruited a lot of Samoans and they had 8 defensive shut outs in the KCAC one season. Bo Schembechler used to be on the board of the Detroit Tigers when I was running yachts for the owner. We were talking football once and I told him about that stat, I added, "But they were an NAIA team." He said "I don't care if they were playing schools for the blind, that's impressive."

Did you know a guy named Mike Moore at DCCC - WR went to KSU? He coached my oldest at Bethel, great guy. Think he was there close to those years. Where did you head after being a Conquistador? Damn its burning up out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4A 8 FAN
We were split back veer so the wind never bothered us too much...

I believe that Mike Cullen was the Coach at SMPC when they closed down the program...

His brother Jerry Cullen was our Coach at DCCC...

I remember the 8 shutout season very well...

The school still holds the NAIA football record for fewest points allowed per game at 1.3...

They also featured a huge running back Tim Simoneau who ran for 1800+ yards that year...

His younger brother Jeff played at Arizona State and Mark played at Kansas State...

It was only one year prior to the program closing...

I knew Mike Moore, he was two years ahead of me, a red shirt Sophomore my Freshman year...

As I remember he walked on at KU and wound up finishing as a player at Bethel...

Eventually he became the Head Coach...

Small world. That 1.3 ought to hold for a while.

We ran the ball too, but that wind carried a 52 yard FG for us once to beat a team. Blocked for four thousand yard rushers in my 4 years. One set was a Kansas HB who played 8-man in HS near Dodge, and a Jersey FB that filtered down from Rutgers. My Senior year it was the two speedsters from Belle Glade.

My class had a bunch of Florida guys (played with 8-10 from Belle Glade over 4 years, Cardinal Neuman, STA, Tampa Catholic and Charlotte). They sent an assistant to Fl to recruit who promissed us all everything, then wasn't around when we got out there. There were 65 freshman showed up. In two weeks time the entire team was 48 guys. One on Ones and running us to death. I got noticed by getting in line during Oklahomas behind an All-America MLB transfer from Hutch Juco who everyone was avoiding. I figured he was supposed to beat me, but if I got him a time or two...

There was a midnight train out of Dodge and when someone didn't show up the next day, we'd break into the Gladys Knight song.

We won the school's first two KCAC Titles and played in two NAIA Bowl games. We had a great mix of Kansas boys and spattering of some very unique personalities. I'm having dinner with one tomorrow night on North Captiva down from Boston who was one from Cardinal Neuman.

Heck loved the State of Kansas, If I'd have had anymore fun it would have slap assed killed me. Loved the people out there, salt of the earth. But when we got out there those Belle Glade guys stuck out like a sore thumb. Wern't what you'd say, too many of the bros out in Western Kansas. It looked to us like a lot of those folks never saw a black person before.

Last edited:
Small world. That 1.3 ought to hold for a while.

One set was a Kansas HB who played 8-man in HS near Dodge; Every now and then those 8 Man schools have a guy that can play. We had a TE from an 8 Man school and he was ranked the No. 1 JC TE in the nation - signed at Tennessee...

They sent an assistant to Fl to recruit who promised us all everything, then wasn't around when we got out there. That's how it goes just about everywhere...

There were 65 freshman showed up. In two weeks time the entire team was 48 guys. I know, we had 180+ guys trying out for a 55 man home roster and 45 man road roster...

There was a midnight train out of Dodge and when someone didn't show up the next day, we'd break into the Gladys Knight song. LOL! They still called it The Midnight Train in 88 when I got there...

We won the school's first two KCAC Titles and played in two NAIA Bowl games. We didn't win much but had the 7th rated offense in the country. Every game was a shootout and whoever had the ball last seemed to win the game. Usually the other team. 9 of the 11 starters on offense signed D-1 scholarships...

Heck loved the State of Kansas, Looking forward to retiring here in FL and moving back once I do...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT