ADVERTISEMENT

NAIA National Championship Today in Daytona Beach, 6PM

Dan in Daytona

Nov 20, 2008
[Edit] Marian wins championship 31-14 over Southern Oregon

In a repeat of last season's championship, Marian University (Indiana) will take on Southern Oregon in what is going to be a beautiful autumn rain free afternoon. The forecast for the 6 o'clock start is 59 degrees with crystal clear skies. All seats $20. Kids under 12 Free. Parking ? ( my hunch is $10 ). For a local angle, Southern Oregon is lead by a somewhat controversial ex-north Florida high school coach Craig Howard. Tim Tebow won a title for him at Nease High School (Ponte Vedra) in 2005. He went on to coach Columbia High in Lake City and caught a lot of hell from their rabid fan base. Several who posted here on Flavarsity didn't care much for the man or his antics. Check for TV listings. One of the dozen ESPN's should carry it live ....that is if your wife or husband won't let you come over to see the game and buy me a drink... or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver King
For those who are interested but can't make the game:
ESPN 3 - live stream to computer, then "Google Chromecast($35)" onto a large screen HD television, into the comfort of your own living-room......priceless

Reactions: Silver King
Marian was able to avenge it's loss to Southern Oregon in last year's title game by playing excellent defense and moving the ball on offense with a strong running attack and a controlled passing game that had S.O. on its heels throughout the better part of the last three quarters. Southern Oregon was the better team last year, Marian, with no doubt, had the superior team last night. ( Judged solely on my "one game eye test." ) ...Extras...Ran in to Jambun at the half heading up to the press box. This working guy gets around..... Orlando parking $10, Daytona $5, Orlando "Poweraid" $5.50, Daytona $3, Orlando Admission $12, Daytona $20, under age 12 Free, Orlando attendance - pitiful, Daytona attendance - embarrassing. My people just won't come out and support anything. The city fathers try, but there is no interest and that's a shame...... 2nd half was damn right cold for this senior citizen. Caught a chill high up in the stands and never could stop shivering. The mid 50's with a northern breeze is hard on this old Florida boy..... NAIA Championship Game appearances: Marian- 3, (2-1) Southern Oregon- 2 (1-1).....Daytona has just completed the second year of a three year agreement to host the NAIA National Championships. Attendance was around 4,000 for the 2014 contest with just under 2,000 actual TICKETS SOLD. Didn't look to be any better this year either. Rome, Georgia hosted the previous six title games, the last being in 2013, with a ticket sale total of 5,200 that final year. Don't be surprised if Daytona, by mutual agreement gives up the 2016 game. We did the same with the FHSAA State championships in 1997 and 1998. After hosting 1989,1990, and then 1993-1996, we passed on the final two years because of all the "RED INK." Times change, but sports apathy stays the same in my birth place..... Happy Holidays to all... Later

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT