ADVERTISEMENT

More NIL talk (Miami's Commitment of Jaden Rashada yesterday)

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Everyone knew once Cristobal was hired by Miami, recruiting wasn't going to be a issue......coaching ability however is possibly worthy of conversation but Ill save that for another time. Which brings me to yesterday's announced commitment, a month or so back Jaden was crystal balled to Florida by just about every major recruiting site.

At the time I posted this about Jaden May 16th at a gator message board - Couldn't even nail down the starter position at QB, as he shared QB duties with another Junior on his high school team last season. In the 11 ames he appeared in, he failed to even complete 50% of his passes in 3 of those ames. For the season he only completed 55% of his passes, with a TD/INT of 27/5 which isn't all that bad, but all in all I'm just not seeing the justification for the 5* rating.....unless this rating is based purely on measurables from camp performances?-

I just was not seeing all the euphoria at that point from all the typical posters there, which led to the eventual wailing and gnashing of teeth from these same folks as his commitment drew closer and it was becoming clear Miami had entered into the picture in a very prominent way.

No one really knows what kind of money this kid will be getting from his NIL deal with Miami, but I'm figuring it had to be substantial as there were a number of major universities vying for his service (including Florida), and for me I'm just not seeing it from a talent perspective? This stuff is ruining football................thoughts anyone?

Are you saying instead he got Cristoballed to Miami? I see what you did there!

For those who didn't pay attention, Freshman Tyler Van "Dime" Dyke, ended up as Miami's QB last year and had a 62.3 completion rate for 2,931 yards, 25 TD/6 INT. He threw for over 300 yards and at least three TDs in each his last 6 games. He was 4TDs short of Walsh’s all-time season record of 29. And he was named ACC Freshman Payer of the Year. He should be on the Heisman watch. Canes #2 Garcia (Freshman) maybe just as good and says he's staying to get his shot,

Ruiz is revolutionizing NIL, already irked Saban, who is pissed that his bags will finally have competition. Ruiz who intends to build the Canes a stadium, also said even the long-snappers will get NIL at Miami.

So if this kid comes, I'm sure he's been on Cristobal's radar from his recruiting time on the West Coast. He will have a battle getting on the field.

But its nice seeing Miami's ability to compete for other than 3* athletes again.

The hudl clips do what hudl clips should do, highlight his best plays from last season. The season stats and then then the individual game stats provide a totally different level of play from the hudl clips.....to say nothing about the fact he couldn't nail down the starters position last year.

Florida passed some legislation specifically geared toward NIL, and the University of Florida administrative folks seem to be forcing the letter of the law on Napier...(at least that's what is coming from those supposedly in the know?). Ruiz apparently has been given a green light however , rumor has it that the NIL deal for Rashada was 9.5 million. Will be interesting how this all plays out when players fail to perform?

I was never sold on the kid, as being worth that kind of money in the 1st place......but a lot of folks/fans at Florida have gotten their collective panties in a wad over how this all went down.....

Are you saying instead he got Cristoballed to Miami? I see what you did there!

For those who didn't pay attention, Freshman Tyler Van "Dime" Dyke, ended up as Miami's QB last year and had a 62.3 completion rate for 2,931 yards, 25 TD/6 INT. He threw for over 300 yards and at least three TDs in each his last 6 games. He was 4TDs short of Walsh’s all-time season record of 29. And he was named ACC Freshman Payer of the Year. He should be on the Heisman watch. Canes #2 Garcia (Freshman) maybe just as good and says he's staying to get his shot,

Ruiz is revolutionizing NIL, already irked Saban, who is pissed that his bags will finally have competition. Ruiz who intends to build the Canes a stadium, also said even the long-snappers will get NIL at Miami.

So if this kid comes, I'm sure he's been on Cristobal's radar from his recruiting time on the West Coast. He will have a battle getting on the field.

But its nice seeing Miami's ability to compete for other than 3* athletes again.

With your depth he's gonna hit the portal... Kids are impatient

A lot can happen between now and him signing in the NIL era; including some gamesmanship with an in-state rival.

I'd be more impressed with a 5* O-lineman
I'd be more impressed with a 5* O-lineman

Didn't the last Natl Camps win it with a walk-on at QB, and with 4* & 5* OL and DL?

Reactions: Silver King
The Canes last NC was given to Ohio State on bad call by a ref who didn't throw the flag until people were in the parking lot.

After day-1 of the elite 11 for QBs, Miami's 3* QB was stellar, compared to the Miami 5* QB

After day-1 of the elite 11 for QBs, Miami's 3* QB was stellar, compared to the Miami 5* QB
I went and looked, I normally wouldn't because so much can change before signing day. At this point I'd say its 50% he de-commits after assessing his season and watching the QB's at Miami this coming season.

I went and looked, I normally wouldn't because so much can change before signing day. At this point I'd say its 50% he de-commits after assessing his season and watching the QB's at Miami this coming season.
The 5* performed better on day 2.....(Which I believe was called Pro-Day).......I feel he compares in measurables but unfortunately he also compares in ability to former Florida QB Feleipe Franks......never understood the ranking when he was a 5*, I just wasn't seeing it?

You know Miami signed Jaccuri Brown last cycle, from Lowndes high school. I thought he performed really well as a Soph, taking Lowndes all the state title game, before losing to what I felt was one of the best high school teams ever - Marietta 19-7. Lowndes legendary coach Randy Mcpherson then retired, and Brown subsequently struggled the next year offensively with the new coaching staff his junior year. Senior year saw him play much better, passing for over 2000 yards, and with a TD/INT of 23/3. Keep in mind Lowndes, Browns senior year ran the ball twice as much as it passed the ball.........I believe this kid could develop into something special before all is said and done.

Going back to Richt (and especially with his son as QB Coach) the Canes haven't had even a little above average QB room till King got there. Then their awful O-line got him killed.

But that QB room so underperformed for so long. Richt told Malik Rosier (only Cane's QB to win 10 games in a decade and a half in 2017) he'd never start, but the two guys who were supposed to be on the field were always running afoul of team rules and on suspension.

They finally got a couple QB's. They've got a coaching staff to coach them up, and they're recruiting towards the future, so I'm excited.

Reactions: MarkECannon
Well the Miami 3*graded out the best, for the entire field on the 3rd and final day of the competition. The 3rd day consisted of making accurate throws while on the move as well as under simulated duress.
Miami making the move for the 5* when they already had a commitment from this 3* Florida kid, is a bit surprising? I’m figuring the kid realizes a bump in his ranking from this competition and possibly now garners some additional interest from schools which should also include additional NIL money.

Reactions: Silver King
Good seeing he did well - he may ultimately find a better fit. Teams seek insurance this far out and that's a position that you either have, or desperately need.

Great coaches/recruiters find and turn 3* into great players. Miami in the last 18 years hasn't done that to the level they needed. Combine that wth their fixation on their Schnellenberger model of recruiting Miami/Dade (where athletes sometimes seem to get an extra * use for being geographically located there), and they've ended up with a lot of busts from the pool of players who weren't cherry picked by the teams with a chance to play for a NC.

Great piece on TVD from CIS Forum:

"--Ask Van Dyke about his goals for 2022 and he quickly pulls the lens outward. Sure, he’d like to improve his accuracy and transform his body – the 6-foot-4, 224-pound pro-style QB wants to be more mobile with an eye toward the NFL – but all those improvements are a road toward team success.
He’s concerned about execution. To Van Dyke that’s where the coaching change from Diaz to Cristobal has sparked needed change.

--Ask Van Dyke the biggest difference between Cristobal and Diaz from a personality standpoint, and Van Dyke points to Cristobal’s intensity, which carries over into the way the program is run. Van Dyke said the two previous Hurricane teams he’s been part of had discipline issues. Players showed up late to workouts or weren’t present for class check-ins.

“It happened a good amount,” Van Dyke said. “With the old staff they’d sometimes let stuff slide,” Van Dyke said. “I love them as coaches, but it’s hard for us to win on the field if we’re not doing every detail right on and off the field. With Cristobal it’s the complete opposite. We have to do everything right. And if not, you won’t be here or you won’t play."

Whereas before a player could miss class and still start, Van Dyke said one issue will result in the entire team having to show up at 5:30 a.m. to watch extra film, among other reminders.

--In Van Dyke’s view, the issue that’s plagued Miami is top-to-bottom execution. It’s what Van Dyke knows the Hurricanes need to reach their goals and, likely, what he’ll need as well to eventually pay for his own Beemer.

“We’ve been hyped the last two years I’ve been here,” Van Dyke said. “But you have to execute it. I think we have all the talent in the world, we just have to be more disciplined. … We have to stick to the game plan, trust the coaches and what they are doing. It’s one of the best coaching staffs in the country so just understand what they’re trying to do and we’ll have a great season this year.”

Last edited:
The rumors are that Cristobal prefers Emory to Rashada....and that they pushed hard for his commit. Reshada is a Ruiz/NIL driven creation, that may actually complicate things for Mario. Certainly not suggesting he doesn't want Reshada, but I think there is a reason they pushed for Emory and Reshada was kinda last minute

Time will tell, and if it were the case, it wouldn't be the first or last time a team grabbed a recruit to keep him away from a rival team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT