ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Sunset

Dave Lackford

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2014
They went 10-2 last year before losing to Mater in the second round of the 7A playoffs last year. Do they return a lot this season, will they make a run again in 2016, or was last year their peak?

I do believe that they lost quite a few Seniors and stronger players. I don't see a 10-2 season ahead for them but I think they will be above average. I see Mater leading that division followed by :
Doral Academy
Reagan
Miami Springs
Miami Sunset

all battling out for the #2 spot.

Broward,

From what I see Miami Springs and Reagan have lost a lot of senior talent. Doral not so much, and their team will be comprised of a heavy senior presence. I guess Tampa will have a good read on what Reagan is made of early this year. But Sunset returns their best player in Javier Zuniga who I think Sunset kind of rode to their 10-2 record last year.

I guess my question is, did Sunset lose a lot of their guys up front on offense, well on both sides of the ball, and what does Reagan and Miami Springs have coming back personnel wise? Also, based on returning talent, it seems like Doral is in the best position to finish behind Mater.

Broward,

From what I see Miami Springs and Reagan have lost a lot of senior talent. Doral not so much, and their team will be comprised of a heavy senior presence. I guess Tampa will have a good read on what Reagan is made of early this year. But Sunset returns their best player in Javier Zuniga who I think Sunset kind of rode to their 10-2 record last year.

I guess my question is, did Sunset lose a lot of their guys up front on offense, well on both sides of the ball, and what does Reagan and Miami Springs have coming back personnel wise? Also, based on returning talent, it seems like Doral is in the best position to finish behind Mater.
I am 99% sure that RB Javier Zuniga transferred to Champagnat Catholic this spring. Sunset lost a lot on both sides of the ball and even lost a very good kicker. I do not know what they have coming in but I doubt it will compensate the loss of RB Javier Zuniga.
Don't quote me on it but I believe Reagan lost about 10 Seniors on both sides of the ball but they do bring back a quality NG, OLB, couple of decent RBs with one good sized OL (Center). Other than that nothing of note really stands out . Small D/OLines.

Reactions: Dave Lackford
according to friday night football magazine, Reagan has the biggest team they have had in years

www.fnfmagazine.com/

according to friday night football magazine, Reagan has the biggest team they have had in years.

www.fnfmagazine.com/

In all honesty, and relatively speaking that may be true. Reagan has not been known to have put out too many elite OL/DL over the years. Remember what the fnfmagazine statement is being compared to. - previous Reagan teams.

I just checked their hudl:

You be the Judge...

http://www.hudl.com/team/v2/35170/reagan-high-school-boys-varsity-football/team

I see 2 kids on the roster 250+. Factor in skill set and experience and I doubt their OL/DL is anything to write home about.

Last edited:
I am 99% sure that RB Javier Zuniga transferred to Champagnat Catholic this spring. Sunset lost a lot on both sides of the ball and even lost a very good kicker. I do not know what they have coming in but I doubt it will compensate the loss of RB Javier Zuniga.
Don't quote me on it but I believe Reagan lost about 10 Seniors on both sides of the ball but they do bring back a quality NG, OLB, couple of decent RBs with one good sized OL (Center). Other than that nothing of note really stands out . Small D/OLines.

Good catch. Zuniga did transfer. He's at Doral Academy now. Yeah, I guess Sunset is in trouble this year.

Reactions: BrowardHandicapper
Good catch. Zuniga did transfer. He's at Doral Academy now. Yeah, I guess Sunset is in trouble this year.
Gotcha. I think Zuniga actually briefly went over to Champagnat Catholic and in recent days (perhaps June) transferred to Doral Academy. Thanks for that update/clarification on Zuniga.
Doral Academy also got a solid transfer QB (Angel Alvarez) from Braddock.

The more I break that district down the more I see Mater and Doral Academy as the front-runners.

Gotcha. I think Zuniga actually briefly went over to Champagnat Catholic and in recent days (perhaps June) transferred to Doral Academy. Thanks for that update/clarification on Zuniga.
Doral Academy also got a solid transfer QB (Angel Alvarez) from Braddock.

The more I break that district down the more I see Mater and Doral Academy as the front-runners.

Have to agree. On paper Mater looks like they will run away with it. Doral seems like they are too small, but have Zuniga so they will be able to do some things on offense, Miami Springs has to replace way too many players from last year, and Sunset basically lost its star when Zuniga left and based on what you have said, they aren't going to produce like last year.

But this is all "on paper"
of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT