ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee trying to put together tough 2019 schedule!

twc2499

Oct 28, 2006
Manatee is in the process of scheduling one of their tough schedules in recent years. As of now (things could change) the Canes will play at Southeast in the Kickoff Classic. Then they will open the season at home against defending 7A state champion Lakeland. Week two they will travel to Palmetto. That will be followed by a home game against Braden River in week three.

This is were it gets interesting? They are working on home games against Lakeland Kathleen, Kissimmee Osceola and Charlotte. None of those games are offical yet and are in the works. Manatee's district games are against Lakewood Ranch, Sarasota and Venice. Home and away for those games will be determined later. Manatee is still working on a tenth game.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Kathleen is so so. Braden River, Palmetto, and Venice are decent. The Lakeland game will be fun.

Manatee is in the process of scheduling one of their tough schedules in recent years. As of now (things could change) the Canes will play at Southeast in the Kickoff Classic. Then they will open the season at home against defending 7A state champion Lakeland. Week two they will travel to Palmetto. That will be followed by a home game against Braden River in week three.

This is were it gets interesting? They are working on home games against Lakeland Kathleen, Kissimmee Osceola and Charlotte. None of those games are offical yet and are in the works. Manatee's district games are against Lakewood Ranch, Sarasota and Venice. Home and away for those games will be determined later. Manatee is still working on a tenth game.

Interesting no mention of Sarasota Riverview.......(not good) Osceola and Charlotte would be good pickups....the new RPI system and the factoring of your opponents/opponents over-all record is going to be huge......because other than Venice, Manatee's District is way weaker than last years District and it was weak.. Dont understand why no scheduling attempts for any of the Miami teams or better Tampa teams.....Jesuit HS comes immediately to mind?
Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Saw our schedule quickly, we're back to playing more north than south again. Desoto is back on, don't remember seeing Manatee though but just glanced at it quick seeing who was in the district. Will be tough.

You mean RB Tyson Phelps. He will be a Senior next year if he stays at Manatee. You never know now a days?

The rules on FL HS players are way too strick. They should be able to transfer any time they want. Even at haff time.

You mean RB Tyson Phelps. He will be a Senior next year if he stays at Manatee. You never know now a days?
Yeah I meant Phelps.................he'd be a senior next year whether he's at Manatee or not (funny guy)......................so basically your answer was a "no answer" What about the 2 freshman QB's?
I will say this..............time will tell if Manatee is bleeding talent to other area schools, just figured you'd answer the question one way or the other, guess you're just not the inside guy you've always portrayed yourself to be............its all good, no worries.

Go Canes Go!

I gave you an answer and even gave you his correct name. But you still have to be a so condecending! Yes..... he is still at Manatee. There are several good young RB.....Sophomore Kyree Jones....Sophomore Lavontae Youmouns and Senior to be Napoleon Harris. Kids today go elsewere if they think there not going to start or get playing time. That's why I said if he stays at Manatee.
There is some talk about moving Irone Jackson to QB. That would be an old Kinnan move back in the day. putting your best athlete at that position. Sophomore Christopher Perry has some upside but not sure he's ready.

Carl Mays wasn't Manatee's best Athlete------QB for the 1985 state title team
Antoine Newsome wasn't Manatee's best Athlete---------QB for the 1989 state title team

So no Joe didn't always put his best Athlete at the QB position........Phelps is a talent that would have obviously been understated by the Manatee Coaching staff if he does in fact transfer. I watched Jackson a number of times on those jet sweep plays and I saw a guy that lacked the kind of speed to get to the edge against better defenses. Depends I guess with what kind of offense Manatee is going to run next year, whether he'd be a good candidate for the QB position, in addition to how that talent around him is utilized? I really like him at the WR position because of his pass catching and blocking ability or perhaps TB position if Manatee went to a traditional deep I set......that's my opinion. I in all honesty was one that thought Joe moving Kevin Freeman from LB to TB was a huge mistake......I was wrong big time on that. That was the same year Joe moved Patrick McNeil from DE to OG, I keep thinking moving Ives to the OL would be genius too and think he has greater potential at the next level on the OL as well.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Carl Mays wasn't Manatee's best Athlete------QB for the 1985 state title team
Antoine Newsome wasn't Manatee's best Athlete---------QB for the 1989 state title team

So no Joe didn't always put his best Athlete at the QB position........Phelps is a talent that would have obviously been understated by the Manatee Coaching staff if he does in fact transfer. I watched Jackson a number of times on those jet sweep plays and I saw a guy that lacked the kind of speed to get to the edge against better defenses. Depends I guess with what kind of offense Manatee is going to run next year, whether he'd be a good candidate for the QB position, in addition to how that talent around him is utilized? I really like him at the WR position because of his pass catching and blocking ability or perhaps TB position if Manatee went to a traditional deep I set......that's my opinion. I in all honesty was one that thought Joe moving Kevin Freeman from LB to TB was a huge mistake......I was wrong big time on that. That was the same year Joe moved Patrick McNeil from DE to OG, I keep thinking moving Ives to the OL would be genius too and think he has greater potential at the next level on the OL as well.

Go Canes Go!

Gatorman sometimes you out think yourself. Many of these moves were 100% because there was nobody else to put in that spot. Best athlete for the spot not necessarily best athlete on the team. Watching on Friday nights doesn't even come close to the whole story of decision making for positions, it happens Monday-Thursday and then performance on Friday. Most of the time people complain about why so and so isn't playing this or that position is because they don't know that it was tried at practice and was a train wreck. Even at Manatee at times it comes down to no good options. If you have 2 kids that can play one position pretty well and 1 position with nobody that is getting it done that makes the decision, and sometimes it doesn't work out. 2012 there were 7 or 8 different combinations of "starting" linebackers for a variety of reasons from a variety of positions, if the first combo would have worked it would not have made anyone a genius realistically nobody would have noticed except the kids playing.

Gatorman sometimes you out think yourself. Many of these moves were 100% because there was nobody else to put in that spot. Best athlete for the spot not necessarily best athlete on the team. Watching on Friday nights doesn't even come close to the whole story of decision making for positions, it happens Monday-Thursday and then performance on Friday. Most of the time people complain about why so and so isn't playing this or that position is because they don't know that it was tried at practice and was a train wreck. Even at Manatee at times it comes down to no good options. If you have 2 kids that can play one position pretty well and 1 position with nobody that is getting it done that makes the decision, and sometimes it doesn't work out. 2012 there were 7 or 8 different combinations of "starting" linebackers for a variety of reasons from a variety of positions, if the first combo would have worked it would not have made anyone a genius realistically nobody would have noticed except the kids playing.

The LB situation in 2012 was a train wreck the entire season..(wasn't Manatee playing Soph's by the time they played STA?).........I went to the Venice game that year, and I recall by Venice 3rd series, I was able to tell what play was coming..(I'm obviously a novice at this stuff).....yet the guys on the field never were able to get a handle on things and Venice was able to run around and through Manatee the entire game, because of the poor LB play.

Your analogy on the QB situation would be true for the 1985, as Rodney Sanders had been penciled in as the QB at the beginning of the season......Sanders wasn't even with the team by the end of the season. In fact I want to say the offense struggled up until the game with Merritt Island, and that may have been when Kinnan slotted Mays in the starting QB position, and the offense finally started clicking.
1989 it was Newsome from start to beginning. There many other instances where Kinnan put someone other than his best athlete at the QB position, I just cited those two because those were years where Manatee won a state title..............

Did you coach at Manatee at one time or another?

Go Canes Go!

The LB situation in 2012 was a train wreck the entire season..(wasn't Manatee playing Soph's by the time they played STA?).........I went to the Venice game that year, and I recall by Venice 3rd series, I was able to tell what play was coming..(I'm obviously a novice at this stuff).....yet the guys on the field never were able to get a handle on things and Venice was able to run around and through Manatee the entire game, because of the poor LB play.

Your analogy on the QB situation would be true for the 1985, as Rodney Sanders had been penciled in as the QB at the beginning of the season......Sanders wasn't even with the team by the end of the season. In fact I want to say the offense struggled up until the game with Merritt Island, and that may have been when Kinnan slotted Mays in the starting QB position, and the offense finally started clicking.
1989 it was Newsome from start to beginning. There many other instances where Kinnan put someone other than his best athlete at the QB position, I just cited those two because those were years where Manatee won a state title..............

Did you coach at Manatee at one time or another?

Go Canes Go!

Yes I did, yeah you get my point though there are times when you just gotta make moves because it makes sense and other times you don't because you end up with maybe a better talent playing catch up to learn a position and its a net loss. In 12 there were some talented guys that just couldn't read and react at the position. Nashon Smith got his first start vs. St. Thomas and had a great game, despite the overall beating.

Yes I did, yeah you get my point though there are times when you just gotta make moves because it makes sense and other times you don't because you end up with maybe a better talent playing catch up to learn a position and its a net loss. In 12 there were some talented guys that just couldn't read and react at the position. Nashon Smith got his first start vs. St. Thomas and had a great game, despite the overall beating.
Question:
Last year I thought putting Justin Porter at the MLB position was a mistake, I thought Porter profiled better in the same mode of player like a Justin Stephens type player ..(Sideline to sideline type LB and should lined up as an outside LB) and instead they should have put Ethan Walz at the MLB position, primarily because of his ability to sniff things out at the line of scrimmage and not shy about taking things head on. There were in fact alot of personnel decisions I found myself questioning.........like with Phelps......to me he was Manatee's best player at the TB position......but they seemed hell bent to play the freshman......who I admit has some talent.....but Phelps to me allowed for more play calling options than Kyree Jones, as well as having better ability to getting to the edge. Then I mention earlier they kept running the jet sweep with Irone, and I'd watch and think to myself.....the guy just doesn't have the edge speed to get to the corner. I've never coached other youth league, but its just stuff I felt was obvious but the staff in place now at Manatee doesn't seem to see?
Go Canes Go!

I'm not in the know there now but I would hope that there is more to it Monday - Thursday that drove some of the decisions. I know I have seen a ton of kids tried at positions that they should be suited for that didn't pan out. At linebacker some kids can't read outside in vs. inside out, some kids can't read the lineplay and some you can plug anywhere and they will get it done. Offense is even harder because if they can't pick up the system or plays they are useless even with great talent.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
So 2 great rivalries (southeast/riverview) one for a classic game JOKE and another not even playing JOKE but thats what you get when you hire these folks that dont understand rivalries

The Southeast game meant nothing before 1983 and I believe they may have played a grand total of maybe 2 times prior to that. The 1st time they played I want to say was maybe 1975 and Manatee won but later had to forfiet the game because David Kibben Manatee's QB was ruled ineligible. It wasn't for anything nefarious, Kibben the year before had missed alot of school fighting bone cancer, and because of that didn't complete enough credits to be eligible to play the next year. I want to say Woody Woodward was Southeast's coach at the time and Calvin Short was Manatee's. I don't think they played again until that classic 1983 game.......it became a classic because of Coach Maechtle and Coach Kinnan became each schools perspective coach. Interesting fact most Manatee folks don't realize, is that the Southeast freshman football team was routinely the best team in the county. They Southeast were coach by a Bill Bomar.....I believe he may have been the varsity Baseball coach too. So yeah considering where Southeast is at presently its an absolute joke Manatee is playing them, even if it's a classic game and doesn't count in the standings.

Not playing Riverview I'm going to give the benefit of doubt, that maybe it just couldn't be worked schedule wise.......but not playing Riverview is a huge mistake, there's more history there than what there is with Southeast and the coaching staff should have made scheduling that game paramount!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
A competition of any type becomes a joke when there is a drastic mismatch in capability/talent.

Load up 5 kids with an average I.Q. of 165 on a Quiz Bowl team, pit them against 5 kids with an average I.Q. of 75, and predictably, you will end up with a lopsided, boring contest (i.e., a "Joke").

Allow 5 kids who are scratch golfers to choose to attend the same high school and no school that fields a team of 12 handicappers is going to touch them.

You might as well go watch paint dry.

When "intelligent and caring" adults arbitrarily decided to destroy boundary lines for public schools, they effectively destroyed the ability of the average school to have any hope of competing for a district championship, let alone a state title. District competition in most sports becomes a "joke" once talent in any urban area has the right/choice to pool at a single school.

STA - the greatest program in the history of HS football (per Canes177) - would gladly beat the hell out of every district patsy on their schedule, but for some mysterious reason never had any interest in scheduling powerhouse teams from Miami (e.g., Northwestern, Carol City or Central) when they were dominant.

If you have to ask yourself the reason why, you may be a good fit for the Quiz Bowl team with 75 I.Q. players. Helpful tip: If they schedule you to play the 165 team, don't even bother to pick up your buzzer.

A story: I got selected as one of 2 employees to represent the Atlanta District in a knowledge Bowl that comprised 9 different Districts of the Southeastern Area of the USPS. You might ask yourself I guess why in the world would the Postal Service have any interest in determining which of the 9 Districts in the Southeastern Area, had the best command of all the rules and regulations contained in the Domestic Mail Manual? This was the nature of what I did at the Postal Service, when I retired I was the Manager of Business Mail Entry for the Atlanta District.....which in a nut shell meant I had oversight responsibility of the Postal Service's interaction with the mail it accepted from customers and the mailing industry in the Atlanta District......Mail Entry generated almost 1 billion dollars for the Postal Service on a annual basis in the Atlanta District.....which meant knowing the rules inside and out, as well as having a spotless record with being SOX compliant financially.

The contest was held in Nashville, TN and I had roughly 1 month to prepare for the contest.......The 1st round we were pitted against the Alabama District, and the Atlantic/Gulf Coast District....the contest was played under the same guidelines of the Quiz Bowl Neutral mention above. As the contest started the Alabama District was always buzzing in before the question was even completely read. At our 1st break I looked at the two members from the Alabama District and matter of fact asked "What are you two, clairvoyant?" While I know it was wrong to judge a book by its cover, I had through casual conversation prior to the contest, sized these 2 ladies up as not being the sharpest tools in the tool shed........which amplified even more how these 2 could so easily know the answers before the questions were even completed.......the lady closest to me quickly responds by saying "We'z been studyin this stuff, and we'z knows it!" In my mind without speaking a word and just smiled, but thought....."Yeah right!" I looked over at my partner and calmly told her, "Look....when the contest resumes at the point you think you know where the question is going..... you buzz, don't wait for him to finish the question!" My partner asked why and I told her loud enough I'm sure for my Alabama contestants to hear....."Because something fishy is going on here, there isn't anyway they have that kind of command of the Domestic Mail Manual......otherwise we're not going to have a chance at this!"

So the contest resumes and I did as I had suggested to my partner, I was buzzing like I had a twitch that could only be controlled with medication. My partner wasn't much help...she never answered a question in the 2nd round, but I was able to get us to within 30 points by the bonus round, after being down by almost 200 points. The bonus question was what are the 5 elements of the intelligent mail barcode........we had studied for this and penciled our answers, but unfortunately 1 of our answers wasn't allowed and we lost by 10. The HQ Manager that put this contest together, would later tell me at a gathering in Chicago that he had in fact discovered that Alabama District and another District cheated and had some how been provided all the questions and answers. It was a vindication of sorts for me, because despite them having all the questions and answers I had come within 10 points of still knocking them off!

I hear you Neutral, but for me there's something about knocking off the team that your not supposed to beat........maybe I'm different, I've been told more than once I'm too competitive all the time. I love it a mature and physically strong Venice team takes on IMG and knocks of STA in the same year, or seeing Lakeland knock off.......... STA this past year.......or watching Manatee knock off a STA team with 3 players on the team that will later play in the Super Bowl......I'm all about making them feel like they were in one helluva of fight....win or lose......and when the wins come......cherish them forever!

Southeast has had some coaching issues the last view years, compounded by the opening of a new school this year which is going to have an impact with enrollment numbers at Braden River, Lakewood Ranch, and Southeast.........if you playing because your eye is on a championship, then you need to prepare yourself to get there...Southeast right now doesn't do that for you.....You don't think there might be a reason why Coach Meachtle left Southeast, and now finds himself at Cardinal Mooney?

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Gatorman001: The other postal team won by cheating.

That's the same way 99 percent of all championship-caliber high school football programs operate. Some how, some way, they figure out how to acquire the talent needed to stack the deck.

True, teams such as IMG and STA are occasionally beaten, but it's a safe bet that the team that managed to pull it off simply figured out how to bend the rules far enough to beat them at their own game.

The coast of cheating in HS football? Loss of interest.

This is why State Championships are no longer contested on live TV ... even cable. This is why stadiums are sparsely populated ... even for title games.

Few people have any interest in seeing cheaters win at any game.

Not offical....... still working on a seventh week home game with Vanguard?

Southeast A (Kickoff Classic)
Lakeland H..................................(15-0) 7A State champs
Palmetto A...................................(9-4) 7A lost second round
Braden River H............................(9-3) 7A lost second round
Lakeland Kathleen A...................(6-5) 7A lost second round
Lakewood Ranch H
Coconut Creek H........................(6-5) 5A lost first round
Ocala Vanguard H .....................(13-1) 6A lost to Armwood third round
Sarasota H
Kissimmee Osceola H...............(9-3) 8A lost to Manatee first round
Venice A....................................(12-2) 7A lost to STA fourth round

Last edited:
Pretty solid schedule if it all works out, still a shame Sarasota Riverview isn't on the schedule.....was it just a simple case of scheduling conflicts that couldn't be worked out? How much is Lapoint involved with the making of the schedule?
So twc2499, fill me in beyond the big OT from Bayshore HS, is there anyone else transferring in for next season?

Looking for places to move to in Bradenton......Was talking to someone at the School Board to get my HS transcripts last week and she indicated I was crazy to even think about returning back to Bradenton.....Has Bradenton or at least West Bradenton gotten that bad? Looking too around South Sarasota and the Nokomis/Englewood area.......would love to hear your insight on best places to look for homes in Manatee County?

Go Canes Go!

Don't know why she is saying that? I haven't seen or heard of anything being wrong with west Bradenton. When she says bad what is she referring to?

Don't know why she is saying that? I haven't seen or heard of anything being wrong with west Bradenton. When she says bad what is she referring to?
I had called to get my transcripts........she asked about me coming by to pick them up, and I told her I was currently living out of state......so she'd have to mail them to me. I then mentioned I hoped to be back living in Bradenton or in the immediate area soon....since I had recently retired and missed Bradenton. She immediately said " Oh honey.....why would you want to do that, its not good here anymore. In fact I hope to move to where you're at now in a year or two when I retire".

Where I grew up off of 26th street, has really gone down hill. .....(what blew me away is its not even in the Manatee HS district anymore, I walked to school Prine Elementry and Manatee HS back then, that's how close it is to Manatee HS and its now not even in the Manatee HS district anymore?)......I know because I drove around when I was down the past Oct. I also checked out where I lived just down the road from Manatee HS on 11th Ave West before moving to GA, didn't really get a bad vibe but nothing really jump out to me to say go there either. I'm checking all the crime reports they put out through the Manatee County Sheriffs office........just looking for a perspective from someone that is living there......Im assuming you're living in west Bradenton?

Go Canes Go!

Was living in Palma Sola Park the past 7 years. We just moved out east to Heritage Harbour. Loved west Bradenton and still do! Kids are all in college. I have no idea why she would say that. Things have change since we where kids no doubt. But it's still a great place to live!!

Just checked Heritage Harbour out, its basically on the property that was Harrlee tomato Farms before I left in 1993. Knew Peter Harrlee through my ex-wife...( my ex's Grandmother was a Rye before getting married, and I got to visit the original Rye homestead several times before it was burned down with her and hear lots of story's about Manatee County in the late 1800's and early 1900's), anyways back then Peter and my ex went to school at Bradenton Christian. The family obviously made a killing on selling that piece of property for development. Lot of crooked stuff went on with Eddie Chance and the rest of the county commissioners back then.......including the Rye property which was about the time the homestead was burned down........ but that's a whole other story. I know all the building is going on that way, just hard for me at this point to wrap my mind around all the area that was nothing but pines and palmettos is gone now.........who knows I could end up out there as well.

Go Canes Go!

Not offical....... still working on a seventh week home game with Vanguard?

Southeast A (Kickoff Classic)
Lakeland H..................................(15-0) 7A State champs
Palmetto A...................................(9-4) 7A lost second round
Braden River H............................(9-3) 7A lost second round
Lakeland Kathleen A...................(6-5) 7A lost second round
Lakewood Ranch H
Coconut Creek H........................(6-5) 5A lost first round
Ocala Vanguard H .....................(13-1) 6A lost to Armwood third round
Sarasota H
Kissimmee Osceola H...............(9-3) 8A lost to Manatee first round
Venice A....................................(12-2) 7A lost to STA fourth round

not that it matters but some of the records are wrong