ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee/Riverview

SotaCoach1

Jan 31, 2017
Any idea how the new coaches are doing and what to expect from two area 8A teams and where they might be in 3 months

I think Riverview will be fine. The addition of Coach C from Venice will be a plus as well. He is a great motivator and will push those players to new levels.

Manatee is a real unknown for now. With the athletes they have anything is possible.

Is "Coach C" a plus for the View as a motivator or a real technician type guy? Sota Skins ought to roll in most our games!

He will take things to a new level. Great with the players as they will respond to his style. He will be missed at Venice.

Saw some of former redskin and seminole players this weekend in the srimm at Venice. Biggest take away was Riverview looks good up front and they have skill guys that can compete. I like them to be area champs

I'm not sure about Venice but Riverview will be the best team in Sarasota/Manatee county hands down. They are pretty stacked with the transfers they have received and returners. It really boils down to how well they coach the players up.

I'm not sure about Venice but Riverview will be the best team in Sarasota/Manatee county hands down. They are pretty stacked with the transfers they have received and returners. It really boils down to how well they coach the players up.

Venice has some work to do and it needs to do it quickly. Fix the mistakes and reduce penalties. Normal stuff in the beginning of the year but not usual for them to be so costly.

I heard Venice will be very good.

Could be but have a few things to clean up before season starts. Expectations are high with the returning players. Lose the State 7A player of the year and you will have a hole to fill. Friday vs Plant should answer some of the questions.

The game won't be that close. Venice will get smacked in the face in this one. MC will be the difference. He's the only reason they have been winning the last few years

The game won't be that close. Venice will get smacked in the face in this one. MC will be the difference. He's the only reason they have been winning the last few years

It may not show up right away but his move will end up hurting Venice.

I would say Carpenter Laroche Heiligh and others is why they have been winning the past few years. Missing Laroche will be the biggest issue.

Yes think it will be 10 years. I wonder if there has ever been another team make a 10 year run in the county? How long has MC been there?

Yes think it will be 10 years. I wonder if there has ever been another team make a 10 year run in the county? How long has MC been there?

He graduated from VHS in 2002? EKU for 4 years ? Just to be clear are you saying he is the ONLY reason they have done well?

He by far is a reason but not the only one. He is a great coach no doubt. Will teach anyone who wants to learn. He will be a big addition to Riverview.

I think he was the main reason. How long did he coach there? Someone told me this year would be his forth year. I think he started there when Peacock took over

I think he was the main reason. How long did he coach there? Someone told me this year would be his forth year. I think he started there when Peacock took over

Peacock was on the staff since 2000 ? Took over in 2004 I think.

While I don't disagree with his (MC) importance I think other factors have also influenced the recent success.

In the recent scrimmage, Venice didn't look good against Port Charlotte. They the speed and size of the typical Venice team. Riverview looked good against Mooney. Mooney didn't stand a chance.

Reactions: Football941
I heard yesterday that Manatee got rid of their Freshman team due to low numbers and will only field a JV and Varsity, first time for that at Manatee I think.

How can you confirm that? Did not see any Twitter or paper release from Manatee? And they are still scheduled to play Sarasota according to their coach...

I heard yesterday that Manatee got rid of their Freshman team due to low numbers and will only field a JV and Varsity, first time for that at Manatee I think.

TWC2499 said: Hey Gatorman.....just wanted you to know that this incoming freshman class is a good one! That size we have been lacking....well in a few years that want be an issue! Weight coach Lansky thinks it's the best group he has seen since he's been at Manatee. Also, Tracey Sanders is back coaching the safety's and Brion Carnes will coach the QB's.

Too funny: TWC2499 was on here a couple of weeks ago, telling us the freshman team was going to be all this and that, unlike the previous years........guess TWC2499 hasn't broken his dependency of the Kool-Aide he's been drinking for what now seems years!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:

My freshman year, the HBC of the freshman team allowed us to vote on having a red and white team..(which had pretty much been a tradition up to that point) or combine for one team. We voted to combine and we still ended up with a losing record (That was Bayshore HS 1st as a high school to give you an idea how back that was),. SE freshman were coached by a guy named Bill Bomar.....and he's freshman teams pretty much dominated the county back then. After that year they did go back to a red and white freshman team, which pretty much stayed the tradition until Kinnan arrived on the scene in 1981..

When Kinnan stepped away to battle prostrate cancer, and then came back to resume coaching at Manatee. I believe the thing that kept him viable talent wise, was the time he spent while away from Manatee, working with the PAL league and the relationships he developed with the kids and parents during that time. With what high school football has become, its clearly become something more than just understanding the X's and O's. So can one man represent an entire program and what that program represents........in at least the case of Manatee I believe the answer is a pretty clear ......Yes!

Go Canes Go!

How can you confirm that? Did not see any Twitter or paper release from Manatee? And they are still scheduled to play Sarasota according to their coach...
Well as I mentioned I heard it, I can't confirm it. I heard the numbers were under 20 because they moved several freshmen up to varsity so they are now in the teens with freshmen. My source is pretty solid but who knows.

Well as I mentioned I heard it, I can't confirm it. I heard the numbers were under 20 because they moved several freshmen up to varsity so they are now in the teens with freshmen. My source is pretty solid but who knows.

Will they be releasing a public statement or are they going to play it week by week. I remember a few years back when Southeast in Manatee County played 4 games JV and then allowed the 9th grade kids to come down and play 2 games freshman only. Freshman games start next week!

They just posted a few days ago on Facebook....(on what I believe is the official Manatee High Football page on Facebook) the JV and Freshman schedules, so the rumor you're hearing now, seems somewhat odd timing wise?

Go Canes Go!

I haven't heard that Manatee will not have a freshman team. I have only heard that Sarasota will not have a JV team due to numbers, and Booker is in the teens for their freshman team numbers.

Crazy to see these programs with such low numbers. Heard the Sarasota/Venice area is having issues with Pop Warner numbers too.
Where have these kids gone? Playing other sports instead?

Crazy to see these programs with such low numbers. Heard the Sarasota/Venice area is having issues with Pop Warner numbers too.
Where have these kids gone? Playing other sports instead?
Could this reflect safety concerns due to heightened knowledge of potential brain injuries?

Could this reflect safety concerns due to heightened knowledge of potential brain injuries?

Both of my kids played football. The oldest started when he was 5 with tackle. I would not hesitate to let them again even with the newest information. Education and new techniques he has learned of the years have reduced the chances for concussions. Anything is possible so I don't let the fear of not trying hold them back.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
I only let one of my three play Pop Warner. And, that one won a National Title, but I knew the coaches, and helped myself. My issue was less concussions than burn out starting that young and getting bad habits.

I only let one of my three play Pop Warner. And, that one won a National Title, but I knew the coaches, and helped myself. My issue was less concussions than burn out starting that young and getting bad habits.
Amen to bad habits!! I have a few long time youth players and their parents that swear by really really horrible techniques.

Kids nowadays would rather play video games and sit on their phones instead of playing sports.

Amen to bad habits!! I have a few long time youth players and their parents that swear by really really horrible techniques.

I have seen these bad techniques first hand lead to injuries. Its that "Old School" thought that needs revised. Things change and evolve. Same with this game.

Reactions: Silver King
This is the result of all the concussion talk and a generation that isn't as interested in football. The average players that would fill out the rosters are just not playing anymore. It's not a lack of kids, it's a lack of interested kids and more concerned parents. Just my two pennies on that. It's hard to believe a program like Manatee not having huge numbers at all levels. We did and that wasn't 20 years ago.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
Part of the problem is youth coaches not spending time learning techniques from clinics or just visiting local High Schools that are well coached. I saw a youth couch teaching a hybrid of Hawk Tackling and Heads up Tackling that would result in concussion/broken neck if done at high velocity.

Reactions: CoachMacho
So apparently Manatee does have a Freshman team, they were practicing together and told the freshman that are on the freshman team they were on that team Tuesday.

They also got beat 50-0 yesterday......so much for TWC2499......"this freshman class is going to be good one". JV team while having a much more respectable showing, also lost 28-21.

Go Canes Go!

They made the stellar program decision to have 2 crappy teams instead of one decent team. I would have scrapped the JV and let all of the Freshman who don't start on Varsity have a good experience. Instead they went the route of bad experiences for 2 whole groups of kids many of which they will lose.

wow! that is not good. If the varsity doesnt get it fixed quick and the lower levels continue to take a pounding that could have a huge impact on the overall state of the program for years to come. I anticipate there is still enough in the tank to beat Palmetto next week and compete for the district but if not that is a problem. Sarasota right now is also somewhat in shambles. Just not very good because kids quit going. There are those of us around that remember Sarasota as a darn good team. Imagine a world where Manatee and Sarasota are your .500 teams I guess the coming weeks will tell us a lot about Manatee! And no shot at MHS just a shot at this generation but those kids wont stay

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT