ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee @ Dr. Phillips - 8A Region 2 Championship

Pipe Dreams

Jul 21, 2010
I love this match up.

We narrowly missed each other in the playoffs in the 90's... pretty sure Tallahassee Lincoln and Oviedo screwed those ones up...

Discuss.

I see a game much like the DP-Plant game. Two physical, athletic and disciplined teams.

I'll have more to say later on in the week..... One of DP's best skill players (Q Bargnare, #6) did go down with an injury last week and I'm not sure of his status.

This post was edited on 11/22 8:42 AM by Pipe Dreams

Should be a great game. Two tough defenses. Manatee has a dynamic running game behind an ever improving offensive line. Johnnie Lang is causing people to suggest that he is the best running back ever to play at Manatee. That's high praise for sure.

Hope both teams are fully healthy and leave it all on the field.

jgking83 just last week you were calling Lang a 3* back, now Bristow calls him the best he's ever seen last night during the broadcast and he apparently in one game you've elevated him beyond the 3* ranking you saddled him with last week to a worth repeating "best ever"? As I indicated last week Lang means to Manatee in terms of Manatee potentially making it to the title game, similar to what Duke Johnson meant to Miami Norland the year they made their championship run. Lang forces teams to game plan for him in a major way, and Booth subsequently is getting better and better at responding to that by bringing other talented pieces of the Manatee offense into the game plan. Last night the passing game didn't work as well for Manatee as it did a week earlier, but its something Dr Phillips despite what their scouting coaches saw last night better be prepared for.

Dr Phillips will want to run 1st, which to me plays right into what the Manatee is probably best at, that being playing the run. Teams that can feature the pass, yet force Manatee to respect the run are the type of teams I see giving Manatee fits......from what I've seen so far Dr Phillips uses the pass to keep teams honest. Its a home game for Dr Phiilips which means allot but being a playoff game and I expect Manatee to travel well in as far as fans making the trip to the game, so I don't think that factors in as much as one would believe.

Should be a great game!

jking I bet if you were to ask Bristow about Ricky Gissendanner, Mickey "Sweet Cake" Bellemy, James Crawford, Alvin Smalls, among others he couldn't off the cuff tell you the 1st thing about them..........Lang is good ....real good, but lets let the guy finish out his career before crowning him best ever. Manatee winning a state title would be a huge for him, because he at that point would have been the 1st player I've witnessed at Manatee almost single handily being responsible for Manatee doing that............Tommie Frazier couldn't even do that.

Go Canes Go!
This post was edited on 11/22 9:39 AM by gatorman001

Dude, I didn't say it. I said it's high praise because I know what kind of talent has come through Manatee. Also, people I know down there are talking about him in the same breath as some of the greats. His numbers speak for themselves. He's only a junior. I said I expect him to be rated a high three star, not that I think he is. You are a jackass.

jgking83..............classic! defer, deflect, and finally top it all off with a bit of name calling.............you said what you said.......own it!

Go Canes Go!

DP defense is pretty solid and although they won't fully stop Lang they will limit his yards. The key is to stretch the field with McKnight. He has big play ability and needs to be involved.

I think you need to look at what DP's defense did to Jaquez Patrick. Last year they held him to under 100 yards, this year they held him to 132 yards his 2 lowest outputs in the last 2 years. Lang is NO Patrick. Last night they held Plant to 28 total yards in the first half and I take Plants O- Line over Manatee's.. If Manatee can't throw they will be in for a long nightc

Originally posted by Lakers20:
I think you need to look at what DP's defense did to Jaquez Patrick. Last year they held him to under 100 yards, this year they held him to 132 yards his 2 lowest outputs in the last 2 years. Lang is NO Patrick. Last night they held Plant to 28 total yards in the first half and I take Plants O- Line over Manatee's.. If Manatee can't throw they will be in for a long nightc
I can see that happening. I think the passing offense is better now than it was early in the year, but it isn't consistent. Last night it wasn't good. A couple big plays is always possible when you have speed like McKnight and Price. I don't expect Manatee to move the ball nearly as well as they did last night on the ground.

Good game by Dr. P. last night. They were definitely the sharper team and they executed their game plan better. Plant couldn't overcome another slow start.

Looked like Plant was seizing momentum in the third when the cut it to 17-10, but Dr. P. had the big K.O. return and that was the big play of the game.

Plant really missed Brooks (#1). The whole offense runs through him. When #6 went out (Ty Baldwin-Hunter), I new they were in trouble. 6 made some very, very nice runs when Plant made a little push, but it wasn't enough. With a healthy Brooks, I think this one would have been a lot like last year, more down to the wire. But overall, Dr. P. looked more motivated and sharper.

DP has a good of a chance as any team in 8A. They have a very good, active defense. Excellent running game and good OL. Passing game is suspect, but because there is no dominant team in 8A, it might not matter. Overall a very good team and they are very well coached.

Congrats again on a fine victory to the Dr. P. program and all of the Dr. P. fans. They were deserving of the big W last night!

Originally posted by gatorman001:

Lang is good ....real good, but lets let the guy finish out his career before crowning him best ever. Manatee winning a state title would be a huge for him, because he at that point would have been the 1st player I've witnessed at Manatee almost single handily being responsible for Manatee doing that............Tommie Frazier couldn't even do that.

Go Canes Go!

This post was edited on 11/22 9:39 AM by gatorman001

You're completely discarding the improvement in a young, new O line and the excellent overall team play by a strong defense that has kept them in many games when the offense struggles. Kwanzi Jackson has 25 or more sacks on the year and the team has over 50. FPC head coach said you have to be aware of where Rumph and Henderson are at all times. Johnny Lang is a significant part there is no arguing that, but to call it singlehanded is laughable. Easily as bad or worse as someone proclaiming Lang the best ever already. I've been watching Manatee football since Kinnan started and I think by the time his senior season is over Lang will be as good as or better than any the Canes have had.

Manatee 37 Seminole 20
Dr. Phillips 44 Seminole 7

Only opponent that both teams played

Manatee 37 Seminole 20

St Pete 40 Seminole 0

Manatee 52 St Pete 31

St Pete beat Seminole by more than Dr Phillips did. Manatee beat St Pete by 21. Means nothing.

Moral of the story? You've got to play the game.

Interesting note... from a OS article this past week...

When I read this quote, I just a lot of respect for this guy's opinion. I mean..... dogging every writer in the state only to be proven wrong? He clearly didn't know that DP has been playing to the level of their opponent, but when they are ON they are ON.

That's why Manatee should be an excellent ball game. I see a 1-TD differential.

OUCH!!

"Josh Wilson of FloridaHSfootball.com wrote this on Saturday: "Dr. Phillips showed last night exactly why they are NOT the No. 1 team in the state and why it makes the Associated Press poll not even worth looking at.""

Pipe dreams St. Pete played Seminole Seminoles of Pinellas County not Sanford Seminoles I was responding to flhsfootballfan
This post was edited on 11/22 3:57 PM by booman200405

Booman200405..... I think he was also responding to flhsfootballfan.............. you know the morale of the story

I see... no need comparing scores IMO... this one will be epic.

Crazy hosting two national programs in back to back weeks.... Tough to see Plant go down but someone had to win. Hope Manatee brings a big contingent that enjoys the pregame Universal Studios fireworks...

Originally posted by booman200405:
Pipe dreams St. Pete played Seminole Seminoles of Pinellas County not Sanford Seminoles I was responding to flhsfootballfan

This post was edited on 11/22 3:57 PM by booman200405
Yep. Wrong Seminole. Seminole Seminoles, Sanford Seminoles, Seminole Osceola, you think we have enough Seminoles yet?

Personally I don't draw too many conclusions from one common opponent. If there were a few then a more accurate picture may be drawn. YMMV

So there's at least two Seminole High Schools. One is in the City of Sanford, Florida, and the City of Sanford is in Seminole County. Their mascot is the Seminoles or the Fighting 'Noles.

The other Seminole High School is in Pinellas County in the CITY of Seminole. And THEIR mascot is called the Warhawks.

Manatee beat SANFORD Seminole 37-20. Dr. Phillips beat SANFORD Seminole 44-7, and that's the point Lakers20 was making. However, St. Pete beat the PINELLAS COUNTY Seminole Warhawks 40-0, which is unrelated.

Man I still can't believe we're hosting Manatee...

And yes, Seminole situation cleared up. I've known that was Manatee and DP's common opponent. One HUGE key to this game will be DP's pass offense. It has sputtered lately despite a ton of talent at OL/WR/QB. Norwood (#12) needs to find a rhythm.

Do we need to worry about tickets being sold out at DP if we make the trip to Orlando, or do you guys have good enough seating? Plant tends to sell out a game once in a while cos they have smaller stands.

Originally posted by FLHSFootballFan:

Manatee 37 Seminole 20

St Pete 40 Seminole 0

Manatee 52 St Pete 31

St Pete beat Seminole by more than Dr Phillips did. Manatee beat St Pete by 21. Means nothing.

Moral of the story? You've got to play the game.
NM you guys figured it out.

This post was edited on 11/24 11:14 AM by peezy28

Originally posted by Manatee Magic:
Do we need to worry about tickets being sold out at DP if we make the trip to Orlando, or do you guys have good enough seating? Plant tends to sell out a game once in a while cos they have smaller stands.
Any Dr. Phillips fans have an answer for this question? The stands on google map look fairly good sized but not what I would call large. On the web it places the seating at 6,600, slightly less than Manatee's 7,000 so if you get there early I would think you should be fine.

If I go I plan on getting there no later than 7:00, hopefully sooner. Depends on the rush hour traffic, which is another question the host fans might be able to provide some helpful information on. Any information would be appreciated.

Come get yer hot dogs, yer cheeseburgers, ya gatorades... all the fixins... Universal Fireworks go around 7

DP's stands are pretty big on both sides you should be fine getting tickets. Also remember this is in the middle of Orlando so you are going to get some traffic and also its next to universal and there is no school on Friday obviously so it may be busier than normal.

Traffic will be a BI**** No school and Black Friday right near a major shopping area in Orlando... get there early. Seating should not be a problem.

Thanks for all the helpful info. Should be a barnburner. I figured the rush hour traffic would add a half hour or so but wasn't aware of the shopping nearby. Ouch!

Well you have to pass the outlets and your real close to Sandlake and IDrive so yeah find a back way if you can LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT