ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee at Lakeland

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Manatee travels to Lakeland Friday, to play its 2nd game. Lakeland beat Clearwater last week 42-19, while Manatee played and lost to Gulliver Prep 20-7. Lakeland on offense is big on its offensive line, its QB is experienced as he has played and started at different times over the last 3 years, and now finds himself as a 2 year starter for his senior year. Lakeland ran a number of offensive sets against Clearwater, using motion at different times, even putting the QB under center at different points in a traditional I formation last week against Clearwater. While Lakeland did throw the ball some last week (and did so rather effectively), what Lakeland wants to do is run the ball behind its massive OL. What caught my eye was just how athletic the Lakeland OL was on the whole! Lakeland when they run likes to put a bunch of big bodies in front, and then allow the RB to run behind it waiting for a hole to develop. they continue to run a traditional toss sweep, and will pull its OL for counter plays and did so pretty much all game against Clearwater and then surprise you with a quick hitting dive play to its 215 lbs FB . Wasn't really able to determine how effective Lakeland was offensively, because to be completely honest, I don't believe the Clearwater defense was really all that good.

Defensively Lakeland has a couple of bookend DE, one being a highly sought after 5* # 99 (Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy), the defense has above average team speed and swarms to the ball , but at least for the Clearwater game, I felt the Lakeland DBs were average at best with pass coverage. Defensively I also had a hard time getting handle on how good the Lakeland defense really was, because once again I thought the Clearwater OL despite its massive size was terrible, no ifs or buts about it!

Manatee needs to come into this game continuing to build on its progression of getting better, particularly on offense! Its a game Manatee is capable of winning, but I still see Manatee as a under-dog......my prediction: Manatee 21 Lakeland 35

Reactions: peezy28
FWIW, Lakeland was without it's best LB, and its two best DBs were banged up. They had a young, short kid up in bump and run on 3rd and 8 against Clearwater's best WR and he torched the DB. Assuming the LB is back and the DBs are in better shape, I expect Lakeland's D to be every bit as good as Gulliver Prep, if not better.

Agree on assessing Lakeland's O. Clearwater lost 42-39 to Hillsborough in the classic, suggesting this may be an offense dominant Clearwater team.

I cautiously expect a Lakeland blowout. But, I won't know for sure about their injury situation, and am still suffering a bit of PTSD after 2020 :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT