ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 32 Orlando Oak Ridge 14 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Manatee lead throughout but Oak Ridge gave Manatee fits for almost the entire game. On to Dr Phillips next week.

Go Canes Go!

Manatee lead throughout but Oak Ridge gave Manatee fits for almost the entire game. On to Dr Phillips next week.

Go Canes Go!
Oak Ridge has very good athletes. They always extend Apopka. This year was no different despite the final 43-14 score.

Thanks Silver, noticed this morning on the maxpreps site, they've already scheduled the round 3 matchup of Vero Beach @ Dr Phillips meaning of course they think Manatee and Kissimmee lose this coming week? Last year when Dr Phillips decided to go a smash mouth style of offense late in the 2nd half, they really took it to Manatee. Had they started the game that way, I have no doubt Dr Phillips would have won going away. Manatee's too much of a finnesse team on offense and defense to compete with truly phyiscal teams, they're able to compete primarily to having that quick strike capability.

Go Canes Go!

You know I've always said as an observer (not Neutral) that Manatee teams are most impressive when they have those linemen to go with the plethora of speed they always have. That's the same with Charlotte lately, great O-linemen are harder to find. This year, we have a pretty good O-line.

If Dr. Phillips plays like it did last night against Steinbrenner, Manatee will walk out with a running clock. The DP offense looks lethargic when 5 is not in the game. Outgained Steinbrenner something like 390-140 and trailed until we scored late for the 30-18 final. DP was on the S 1 yard line at the end.

I predict a low scoring game (something like 14-13) or a Manatee win that I will need to forget for a long, long time.

That's it. We played terribly. No disrespect to Steinbrenner but an old teammate and I couldn't remember such an undermatched team giving us a game. We went back to the Ocoee upset in 2006. Steinbrenner had no answer for our talent. They didn't have to have an answer for our untimely turnovers, bad penalties and decisions on the field. I'm not even sure what kind of offense we run because we are executing it so poorly. The receivers don't take pregame seriously. They drop 40-50% of the balls and then expect the game to be different. I'd bench all of them except 5. That pisses me off because that was my position group. We fumbled in the redzone. The offense takes too long to run a play. Everything is audibled at the line. We run the clock out on ourselves because one play takes 35 seconds even though we're just standing around at the LOS. Outside of Moffitt (great player I hope he has offers), 14 of the top 15 players on the field were in Dp blue. I would take Manatee 37-0 (5 TDs and a safety) if Dp does this again.

Great job running backs and defense. Those are the only two groups playing to their potential.

Last edited:
How are your:

Kickoffs: end zone?
Punting game?

Those are big variables vs Dp. A good kicker is a big weapon

and yes, 5 TDs and a safety

I hope somebody inside the program reads this and knows who it is saying it. There is a certain way you play the game, before and after the game starts.

Keep calm, PJ. The good news is that despite blowing through its district, Manatee is beatable. The other good news is, I believe the game is at Dp. (correct me if I am wrong). With that said, I feel your pain. For you are right: If Dp, brings the same game it did last night it exits in the second round. I believe they step their game up just enough to squeak out a win. Manatee's soft schedule since the early losses will come back to haunt them.

The team knows it. They have the talent to beat anyone in 8A (West Orange and Flanagan have equal/better talent). Steinbrenner played like a unit and was the better "team". I hate seeing that knowing the work Wells has put in over the years. He's also the LAST GUY, as a player, that you want to piss off. I know from experience. Brietbeil (who was at Dp when I was an even skinnier sophomore) has done a hell of a job with the D.

. I see the West Orange/Apopka winner taking on Flanagan but it's way too early. Osceola is on a roll too. IT WILL BE A FUN RIDE. The 8A playoffs are always very, very good.

Prediction: The team that scores 24 wins. Manatee will need to execute on offense and limit short fields. Sounds cliche but DPs offense thrives in opponents territory. Knocking them back to the 20 is a different story. DP needs to establish a passing game. If not, 5 can run the wildcat with running back options to use. I hope for a big game out of QB #10 but he needs more help from the OL.

I guess I'm just used to watching too many Kinnan Manatee games because I wasn't impressed with them. They are not physical enough and they didn't get #3 Kavious Price involved enough. If they beat Dr. Phillips, that will be the last game they win.

A lot of our kickoffs go in the end zone, but once in a while we'll give our opponent something returnable. Punting, honestly, seems fairly average. Oak Ridge got some good field position on us a few times.

It seems infrequent that you find really great kickers in high school, so if you happen to have a good kicker (and I think we do), then it's an advantage. But I always get a little nervous when we punt.

@Pipe Dreams Not sure you know it but one of your DP alumnus is a coach at Steinbrenner I think you guys are about the same age.

Manatee kicking game is above average, against Oak Ridge Nick Null had 4 FG's the longest being 52 yards. Null puts 67% of his kickoffs into the endzone. Null also punts for Manatee and I believe he has a 36 yard average. Manatee struggled all night with Punt coverage against Oak Ridge Friday night.

Manatee runs a 3-4 and has above average over-all team speed on defense. I'd say they're vulnerable to a good passing attack, as well as an offense that kind line up and enforce a smash mouth style of offense. They'll try to present preasure from all its linebackers, but will often times backoff just before the snap. Its linebacking crew is a very active group, with what I would deem good over-all size and nice explosion to the point of attack. If the defense is swarning and using good sound tackling technique it can be a very good defense. I've seen the defense loose its intensity however from time to time. Ideally Manatee wants you to have to put together 10-14 play scoring drive.

Offensively Manatee runs the spread. No Johnnie Lang this year and the backup transfered to Palmetto, so Manatee went to one of its WR and converted him to the RB position. He's not a particularily big back, in fact I'd say he's small. He ran for over 1100 yards this year and is the type of back that typically finds a way to churn out position yardage, which you wouldn't expect for a small back. He's also a nice option coming out of the backfield to catch passes. QB for Manatee give Manatee some options it didnt have last year, in that he can run an effective read option play, and has a decent arm with normally above average accuracy. The WR group of Price,Carter, and Milton is pretty darn good. They all catch the ball well and can all turn a 4-5 yard passing play into a big play. The OL has good size, and play technically sound football but I wouldn't call them a particularily physical group.

Manatee wasn't able to finish drives against Oak Ridge, but was still able to salvage points off of Null's leg. Not sure how much you could directly attribute to Oak Ridge? I believe they put allot of pressure on the line of scrimage by bringing its LB's and/or DB's..............So Manatee never got the big play untrack against Oak Ridge. My feeling on the Dr Phillips game is if they come out in a wildcat and just take it to the Manatee Defense........you'll wear the Manatee defense out by halftime and second half you'll have your way. Offensively if Dr Phillips can bring preasure from all different angles to keep the Manatee QB guessing that will pretty much keep the Manatee offense bottled up......Manatee has big play potential so that's always there too.

My prediction: Dr Phillips 33 Manatee17

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
This Manatee team is still a mystery to me. I like AJ and the receivers a lot. The running game is adequate, but not what we've known the last ten years or so. We've really been blessed with really talented backs the last decade. I think this Manatee team is capable of winning it all if they play their A+ game. We just haven't seen them put that type of game together yet.

I agree with gatorman that if DP lines up and forces the ball down Manatee's throat it will be a long night for the Canes. My score prediction is a complete guess. Canes win 26-21.

I think in the Kinnan years we were blocking more punts and at times it seemed like we got about one a game. Now, not so much.

If I'm Manatee im playing run and man coverage. Let's see if DP can throw it. Manatee does have some hogs upfront and active Lb's just can't have missed tackles. On offense it's has to be KP time probably the fastest man on that field legit 10.5 100m speed anchorman on 4×100 m state champion squad. Get him the ball in space by any means. Yoù have 3 Wr who can burry you. So who you gonna key on? The big difference this year is Qb AJ. Don't sleep on him because if you blink there he goes picking up positive yards. Manatee is just one of those teams that when it goes well it really goes well. When it doesn't you just have to scratch your head. I'm a Manatee fan so i wont pick a score because it will be bias. Lol. Should be a great game. Everyone has some great input on how it might turn out. We'll just have to wait and ser

Boy, everyone has analyzed this game to death! One thing is for sure, Manatee is leaving campus at 1:30pm and is heading toward Orlando. They hope to make it before kickoff and play the best they can. I hope Dr Phillips takes it easy on us!

Just don't get caught in rush hour or you might not make it before kickoff.

TWC... don't be upset folk are analyzing the game... It means many are interested and its a going to be a great game... I am sure no one was analyzing Manatee vs Southeast.

The team knows it. They have the talent to beat anyone in 8A (West Orange and Flanagan have equal/better talent). Steinbrenner played like a unit and was the better "team". I hate seeing that knowing the work Wells has put in over the years. He's also the LAST GUY, as a player, that you want to piss off. I know from experience. Brietbeil (who was at Dp when I was an even skinnier sophomore) has done a hell of a job with the D.

. I see the West Orange/Apopka winner taking on Flanagan but it's way too early. Osceola is on a roll too. IT WILL BE A FUN RIDE. The 8A playoffs are always very, very good.

PJ, this is Dp's year to win it all. It won't be easy and everyone on the team will have to play his best. But you have as good a chance as any since 2010 and there is no Central on the horizon. All the team has to do is take revenge on West Orange which is doable (Apopka mostly shut down Woody B last night, its failure was on offense, not defense), and find a way to beat the Columbus/Flanagan winner. I think you got the Osceola game won if the right prep goes into it. I am debating whether to make it to Dp or go take in Bishop Moore vs Hallandale (Mainland/Central is also an option as I would get to hang with my fellow geezer friend, Dan the man).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT