ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 21 Dr Phillips 40 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
What a colossal cluster the 1st half was for Manatee. Manatee held Dr Phillips on a missed FG attempt and began moving the ball down field. Than AJ threw a pass that was intended for K Price on a quick screen right into the hands of a Dr Phillips DB who ran it for a pick six! Manatee gets the ball and does nothing, punts the ball back to Dr Phillips. Then began a series of offensive possessions for Dr Phillips where the RB would simply bounce to the outside for big yardage. Dr Phillips goes up 14-0 and Manatee comes back with a 80 yard drive, capped of with a K Price 47 catch and run for a TD making it 14-7. Dr Phillips comes back with a 3 play drive to go up 21-7........cant describe how badly the Manatee defensive tackling was, their making Dr Phillips RB's look like greased pigs! Looked like we'd go into half with the score 21-7, but Dr Phillips let the clock run down to the last seconds of half and snaps the ball, the QB/RB faked a run to stop and find a Dr Phillips WR with nothing but green in front of him making it 27-7 at half. Had it stayed 21-7 at half I would have said Manatee still had a chance, but Im comfortable at this point with saying "put a fork in it.......Manatee is done" and the second half is just a formality at this point.

Go Canes Go!

DP led Apopka 20-6 at the half and led West Orange 14-0 in the second before blowing 1st and goal at the 1. It's not over. Far from it.

Thought manatee was gonna win it all after they got rid of all those coaches last year cause they held them down

Reactions: peezy28
From what I've been hearing, DP ran it down their throat.

Last edited:
Thought manatee was gonna win it all after they got rid of all those coaches last year cause they held them down
Don't remember anyone saying that. Manatee got beat by a better football team last night. Congrats to DP and good luck the rest of the way!

Manatee had a great season but they don't need to play the Hoover, Don Bosco type games anymore. They are not that level of team these days. I think they will still dominate the local teams and can go 10-0 for the regular season next year. I don't see them being a "deep in the playoffs" type team. I give the 2nd maybe 3rd round year in year out but with the future talent, I don't see them going to the state championship anytime soon.

Manatee had a great season but they don't need to play the Hoover, Don Bosco type games anymore. They are not that level of team these days. I think they will still dominate the local teams and can go 10-0 for the regular season next year. I don't see them being a "deep in the playoffs" type team. I give the 2nd maybe 3rd round year in year out but with the future talent, I don't see them going to the state championship anytime soon.

These things all go in cycles. Manatee will be back. Too much talent in the area for them not to unless a Braden River or another team poaches it all. The only question is how long it will take, not if it will occur?

We are spoiled as Manatee fans. It's not the norm for most schools to almost always be in the playoffs and winning playoff games almost every year.

That was a darn good team you guys lost to Congrats on the season. Going to be interesting to see how Braden River does.

I disagree. If Manatee wants to stay relevant and in the news, they have to continue to schedule these big time games against QUALITY teams.

I predicted that Manatee would go out in the first or second round before the season started. When you play a weak district like they did, it didn't help later in the year.

Look at the two season losses which were to quality teams.

Good luck to them in the future.

I disagree. If Manatee wants to stay relevant and in the news, they have to continue to schedule these big time games against QUALITY teams.

I predicted that Manatee would go out in the first or second round before the season started. When you play a weak district like they did, it didn't help later in the year.

Look at the two season losses which were to quality teams.

Good luck to them in the future.

Manatee does not have the players to play these high-caliber teams anymore. They are on the decline. They don't need to try to stay relevant and in the news if they don't have the players/coaching to compete with those teams.

Manatee still has all the talent they need.

As you will see over the next few years, it comes down to coaching and evaluating talent.

CJB doens't know how to evaluate talent and get everyone in the right spot and this will show.

Manatee had plenty of skilled players and there was no reason to get beat as bad as they did last Friday.

He got out coached, period.

DP had a good game plan and executed it well. Manatee missed a lot of tackles and made some mistakes offensively. That pick six early in the game when Manatee was driving inside DP territory was a big play. Manatee struggled at the LOS and that is where DP ultimately won the game. You can't put that loss on John Booth anymore than you can the players. He had them in position to make plays and they didn't. You never know how this game would have turned out if Manatee finishes that first drive with a TD. That was a possible 14 point swing, but more importantly, it was a huge momentum swing.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how things pan out. I think Coach Booth is doing a fine job and Manatee will continue to be a power in the state. I'm proud of what this Hurricane team accomplished despite all of the drama over the past two seasons.

If you truly even just watched Manatee play this year, you would have known Manatee's weakness was on the line of scrimage and as JKing elluded to against DP poor tackling and absolutely no physicality by the OL finally caught up with Manatee last Friday night. If you know so much about how Joe was always this and that, care to discuss the runs of early exits Joe went through say 86,88,91, 95-99 FLA331BOY???????

Go Canes Go!

DP had a good game plan and executed it well. Manatee missed a lot of tackles and made some mistakes offensively. That pick six early in the game when Manatee was driving inside DP territory was a big play. Manatee struggled at the LOS and that is where DP ultimately won the game. You can't put that loss on John Booth anymore than you can the players. He had them in position to make plays and they didn't. You never know how this game would have turned out if Manatee finishes that first drive with a TD. That was a possible 14 point swing, but more importantly, it was a huge momentum swing.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how things pan out. I think Coach Booth is doing a fine job and Manatee will continue to be a power in the state. I'm proud of what this Hurricane team accomplished despite all of the drama over the past two seasons.

So, one play turned the game from the start? LOL

A good leader can rally his/her troops and make adjustments and that didn't happen.

If you truly even just watched Manatee play this year, you would have known Manatee's weakness was on the line of scrimage and as JKing elluded to against DP poor tackling and absolutely no physicality by the OL finally caught up with Manatee last Friday night. If you know so much about how Joe was always this and that, care to discuss the runs of early exits Joe went through say 86,88,91, 95-99 FLA331BOY???????

Go Canes Go!

Who brought Joe into this conversation.

Joe's gone and I was talking about JB's ability to evaluate talent and make adjustments during the game.

When you are smashing teams throughout the year and don't need to make adjustments it tends to catch up to you when you run into a quality opponent.

As I mentioned before, losses to Hoover and Tally Lincoln show you that Manatee either can't compete with the big schools anymore or are simply getting out coached.

Which is it? Manatee has had some teams that just flat out couldn't tackle in prior years but found a way to win by outscoring the opponent.

Only time will tell but I would bet you that we start seeing more and more talent move to BR, IMG, and possibly Palmetto in the years to come.

Good luck to Coach Booth and I wish a fellow Alumn the best.

So making it to the 2nd round is considered an "early exit"? It seems to me like getting to the 2nd round is an accomplishment. Most schools don't even make the playoffs. We had a good season and am proud this team. Again, it's not the norm for anyone to just win 2-3 playoff games every single year.

How many more times will Manatee have to win their district and win playoff games before all the coach Booth questions start dying off?

So, one play turned the game from the start? LOL

A good leader can rally his/her troops and make adjustments and that didn't happen.
That is not what I said. I said it was a big play, and it was. I also said that DP won the game at the LOS. They physically beat Manatee in the trenches.

That is not what I said. I said it was a big play, and it was. I also said that DP won the game at the LOS. They physically beat Manatee in the trenches.
fla I wasn't at the game, but heard the same thing, that it was won on the line of scrimmage and that was from a source that has a pretty good view of the game.

fla I wasn't at the game, but heard the same thing, that it was won on the line of scrimmage and that was from a source that has a pretty good view of the game.

So, they lost just the way the did last year at Apopka.

Does this get "fixed" over Spring ball?

From what I heard yes, the right side of DP line went 270-280 from guard to tight end and it was a problem. Last year Apopka ran behind the tackle Ivey who is starting for UF and looks to be a great player. Not sure what will happen next year, but losing the LB/DE at the beginning of the year had to hurt. Players like him clean up a lot of tackles. I watched Manatee play once and thought the secondary tackled well in space. Heard there were a lot of missed tackles, not a good time to have an off night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT