ADVERTISEMENT

MANATEE 10 BRADEN RIVER 7

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
This was a game I figured Manatee would be an underdog, but turned out to be a game where Manatee found just enough offense, bolstered by the return of its full complement of stellar DL talent to keep the Braden River offense bottled up for almost the entire game.

Found Mark Cannon's comments interesting on a number of different fronts:

1.) So, Wavebb is still making phone calls before or during the middle of football games........Had to smile when I read that one, I still vividly recall Wavebb calling me over 10 years ago, just before the beginning of the Florida/LSU game and having conversation with him that lasted the entirety of that game..........which was the game where LSU converted like 4 of 4, 4th down plays to keep drives going and eventually beat Florida.

2.) So Saturday I was out and about and happen to cross the path of a gentleman dressed in dark dress pants, white polo with a green monogram surrounding the blue lettering of "FHSAA". Immediately recognizing the lettering as representing "Florida High School Athletic Association", I wasn't about to let this gentleman slip in and out of this semipublic setting, without questioning the nature of his involvement with the FHSAA? I was doing this, to see if by chance if this gentleman was an official and if he may have had some involvement with the Venice/St Francis game Friday night?
Conversation went like this........

Me - Hello Sir, are you a official for the Florida High School Athletic Association?
Him - (looking somewhat surprised......He responds) Yes today for Volleyball and last night it was football.
Me - (With ever increasing intrigue) Really, what game did you do last night?
Him - Last night.......I did the Sarasota/Palmetto game.
Me - (Now with a bit of disappointing inflection in my voice), Oh, I was hoping maybe you were at Venice........The outcome of the Sarasota game or I guess I should say the score surprised me.
Him - Why's that?........ Sarasota has a good ball club!
Me - Well after Manatee beat Sarasota down in the way they did, I just figure Palmetto would probably do much the same to them.
Him - Well again, Sarasota has a good ball club......Were you at the Venice game last night?
Me- No Sir, just read some chatter on some of the HS message boards this morning about the officiating for the game being biased for Venice?
Him - Well......... I wasn't there, so I can't speak for what happen there.
Me- Understand completely, I won't hold you up any longer, you have a good rest of the day Sir!

Mark, I was ready to get into it with him, but he wasn't at Venice Friday night.....As Silver said in an earlier post "I tried"

Last edited:
So close yet so far. Thanks for sharing that. Looking forward to hearing from Jambun. He is the expert, obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT