ADVERTISEMENT

Mainland 41 Deland 21

Dan in Daytona

Nov 20, 2008
Oh, where to begin.....Mainland's Kickoff Classic was cancelled last weekend, and clearly after some very physical head knocking practices, in which some starters weren't cleared to play by game time, the red flags were flying, the timing was way off, and the 1st half coaching staff was still in 7 on 7 summer mode. BUT, THAT DEFENSIVE FRONT SEVEN WAS SMOKING.... except for the outside containment of Deland's good solid senior quarterback. He time and time again juked the Bucs giving him the outsde. Good thing his cement shoes were heavy and the damage was minimal. Things cleaned up for Mainland in the 2nd half. The defensive backs played well, but the corners are small. They will be tested weekly, count on it. Deland looked better then they have in the last couple seasons. Although their talent level isn't what it was five years ago, they never gave up and appeared to have a first rate coaching staff. Don't think they have anything for the big boys in Orlando, but what do I know (BULLDOG). Bartram Trail comes to town next week. Let's see if the nationally ranked Buccaneers are ready to make a statement.......very, very early.

Good win, Thanks for the update.

Sounds like most teams playing their first game. Slow to start with a many miscues... You will only get better.

Does Mainland run the Spread Option? How nasty is the O-line? Can the D-line stop a run heavy offense? What are your chances against St Edward?

Cocoa went back to a run heavy offense against a big Palm Bay D-line. Pratt had 24 carries for around 170 yards. Our Receivers need lots of practice before IMG and St Edward. Judson is throwing a nice deep ball but not getting enough pass plays. He only had 4 attempts against Palm Bay and maybe double that against Titusville. He does run very well and with Pratt in the backfield they turn out a lot of yards. Judson was just under 160 yards against Palm Bay and about the same against Titusville. Pratt has come a long way.

Cocoa will need more than just a good run game to beat St Edward. Looks like Jamal Dean will be harder to replace than I thought. We have a sophomore that looks good but doesn't have the speed Dean has. Like I said earlier, Cocoa really needs to work on the passing game out of an Option Spread if they want to beat St. Edward. I think Cocoa's Size and Depth will hurt them in the 4th and if they don't have a big lead at the end of the 3rd then they may have a long trip home. Speed wins games but long road trips and home field will take it's toll.

Cat, the Bucs had 155yds of red flags in the first half. Very difficult to make an assessment when the officials are that pro active. Mainland runs a spread, but there isn't much of an option component too it as of now. Jr. QB Denzel Houston is as good a talent at that position as any in our 100 yr history. We have possession receivers with good speed who are good route runners. The burner wideouts have left for college. Track superstar Adrian Killins at running back can break it on any touch. O- line is big, nastiness is still to be determined. Defensive front seven could be best ever. Large, aggressive, and very nasty is all that needs to be said. Deland bombed away at the db's. This will be, after film study, a common approach of all future Buc opponents. They have no other choice.

Last edited:
Booked my fall flight to lovely Cleveland on the Greyhound/Walmart of airlines, Spirit. Remove the wheels, add a couple wings, mix us thrifty no frills travelers together and Lake Erie here we come...very cheaply. Know nothing of St Ed's. Thinking St Thomas Aquinas of the North with all the privilege that entails. Cat, hope your Tigers take care of business and wear them big catholic boys down.

I'm booked in also. My wife and I make most of the OOS games with Cocoa. We travel with Ddigler and his wife. Our wives plan other stuff to do and Ddigler and I try to find another game to attend Friday night. If you haven't made an OOS trip to Ohio then you are in for a treat. They take their HSF very serious. I almost believe every game is like a rivalry game to the big schools there. When we played Colerain, the Elder fans came out and sat with the Cocoa fans and cheered with us against Colerain. Who would have thunk?
It was fun, met some good people, ate at some decent places... all in all it was a very positive experience even though Cocoa lost by 10.

Dan, what kind of fouls were the Buccaneers mostly being called on for their 155 yards in penalties? What do you mean by the officials being "proactive"?

What do you mean by the officials being "proactive"?
Damn. What a question!

Somebody please splain to Jambun that at least 99.9% of all people who is seen more than 3 football games would take "proactive" to mean that the crew was reachin into their pockets a little more often than "average" ... average being what they seen at the first three games they was at.

That's ok Neutral. As sure as the sun rises in the east, or hookers come to my home town for the Daytona 500, I was expecting / anticipating / dreading / jambun would need a clarification when the mention of football officials came into my post. In the past, I've been accused by our said resident ball buster of being a poor sport and always blaming the guys in stripes for being corrupt, incompetent, and possessing a Napoleonic temperament. Wrong, wrong, wrong, well..... most of the time they're alright :)

Proactive: to prepare for, intervene in, or control an "expected occurrence" or situation, especially a negative or difficult one, anticipatory.
Example : This team is always trouble. They play dirty, they cheat, and they talk big time trash while being disrespectful to us deacons and Sunday school teachers. Let's be "proactive" and nip this mess in the bud before they hurt little Johnny Choirboy on the other side of the field.........Lighten up Jam, I'm playin with ya.

Neutral Observer, I didn't ask you a question, and I don't give a crap what you think about anything. Don't respond to my questions, I will never ask you anything because I don't care about you and your opinions or point of view on anything.

Dan, the reason why I asked was because I would like to know which type of fouls were called, player safety fouls, judgment calls, or have to be called dead balls fouls such as false start and encroachment. Thank you, and hopefully you will answer me. I understand that there was not a single foul called in the fourth quarter.

Neutral Observer, ... I don't give a crap what you think about anything. Don't respond to my questions, I will never ask you anything because I don't care about you and your opinions or point of view on anything.
What kind of attitude is that? NuTrelle care about you! How are you doing with the anger management classes?

Jam, here goes.... From my high perch I can hear nothing being said on the field of play. Maybe this crew had never worked together as a group. 75% of all flags tossed were followed by a long officials huddle- up. And believe this or not, the head umpire, On Several Occasions, failed to announce to the crowd what the call was on the field. Granted the Mainland coaching staff was demanding an explanation, after so many calls were going against the Buccaneers , that he just forgot to tell us " Homers" in the grandstand. He and one or two others were not in good shape. The speed of the athletes down on the field often had them out of position to make or not make a call. So they threw a flag (proactive) when in doubt. Pass interference, holding, and personal fouls were predominantly called against the home town Bucs. Mainland's bad boy reputation at times was legit in the past, but it hasn't been for several years now. Scott,TA, Travis, an JB don't put up with that $hit. Those kids don't play, hence they quit.

All I got to say is I'm glad NewTrelle isn't down there wearing a zebra striped shirt with a yellow flag stuck in his underwear. Lord knows what might go flyin if he ever pulled the hanky.

Aside from that light remark about NewTrelle's underwear, I appreciate the ref's. I've been one once and it ain't easy. That's why It was only once. Side that, I'm to old, and lazy to run the whole game.

So, judgment and player safety were the two most predominant types of fouls called in the game Dan? Judgment calls always leave a grey area, but player safety fouls have to be, and will be called every time regardless of the game situation.

Reactions: Cat_Scratch
Here is one for you Jambun. At our game the back official threw three flags for personal fouls two were called helmet to helmet and one was a late hit on the sideline. No other ref threw his flag on any of these plays and twice there was a ref closer to the play than him. During the game we thought all three flags were bull crap after watching film we were correct. We found out after the game that the ref told two of our kids we are gonna win but we still suck. Great officiating we have

DPHS, sometimes an official who is a little farther away can have a better angle and see a foul better than an official who is closer, and may not be able to see the entirety of the foul. Player Safety fouls are and will always be an emphasis by the NFHS, so officials are urged to always err on the side of caution when it comes to these type of fouls. If you can clearly see on film that the fouls called were incorrect, my suggestion would be to send the film into the Supervisor of the Officials Association. Does your school use Hudl, and is DP Doctor Phillips? Also, if an official made derogatory statements about your team to a few of the players, the Head Coach should make a call to either the Supervisor or the Assigner of the Officials Association immediately. The type of behavior is unacceptable and should be dealt with, but make sure that the players were sure what they heard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT