ADVERTISEMENT

Kissimmee-Osceola 48 Manatee 7 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Well we were eligible for a running clock at about the mid-point of the 2nd QT, but didn't officially get a running clock until the beginning of the 2nd half. Not much more to add.................it is what it is.

As a side note to Danny Carter: Manatee has never went 0-10, Bob James last year at Manatee -1980, the Canes went 4-6. Manatee had a couple of 1-9 seasons under Jack Mackie and Bob Stewart, but that's the worst its ever gotten. The worst team in recent history would be the 1976 Manatee team that was coached by Tommy Plaster that went 3-7. This Manatee team has about the same level of incompetent coaching as that 1976 team had, and Plaster didn't last the entire year...which is exactly what should happen to the current Manatee head coach!

This team is more talented than the 0-4 record indicates, its tuff watching these young men become frustrated with these type outcomes. The program didn't field a JV team or havent tried making it public what games were played and their outcomes were (With this bunch, bad news is always kept as quiet as possible)? That tells me there is potentially a numbers issue, which I thought was the case this past spring when I went by to watch practice.......the lack of games played if they havent played at this point more less confirms it! I am becoming more aware of the issues with the program, and it goes beyond just a coaching problem......too much to write about in this forum. I had remained hopeful the program could endure and continue to thrive after Kinnan's departure........and it did to a certain extent. Now however I see a almost certain decline that is all too certain to remain, with the type of elements and/or individuals of influence involved now.

Last edited:
That 1976 team was made up in large part of my friends and guys I played youth football with, Allan Goodwin, John Beight, Chuck Landers, Jan Hartmeyer, Dave Mason, to name just a few........Plaster who was a assistant coach under Calvin Short, was selected to be the head coach by the then Principle of Manatee Wesley Choate. Short left Manatee to return to Tennessee, where he would eventually win a state title. Plaster was a good all around guy, but just a terrible candidate to be a head coach..........all those guys I had played with in the old Manatee Youth League, were used to winning in regular League play and as All-Stars that were coached by Tom Broome (The original Manatee Broncos/Mustangs), so as that season unfolded, the results on the field just didn't support the talent level on the field. Plaster left on is own before the season ended, and Choate would eventually name Bob James as the new head coach. James was from Ohio and was going to bring a Woody Hayes mentality and style of play to Manatee. He was immediately successful, but benefitted greatly with a already plentiful amount of talent......as well as with the addition of another great group of youth League talent (Jon Crawford, Hugh Miller, Frank Sklinkski , Prince Matt to name a few)........James eventually left after the 4-6 season, and that's when Kinnan came onto the scene

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT