ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby Smart to Georgia - (UGA what a great starter job)

22wham

Sep 28, 2009
UGA hires a guy with no head coaching experience. What could go wrong with hiring a defensive minded assistant with no head coaching experience for a premier SEC East team (Muschamp).

I was just wondering if anyone could name a defensive expert who has exceeded as a head coach. I don't track coaches close enough to remember what their prior jobs were.

I understand the saying that "offensive wins games but defense wins championships", however, what type of coach wins the most?

The context in which she asked the question was not answered in the answer you provided Peezy..............and you know that.

Go Canes Go!

Gatorman her question "I was just wondering if anyone could name a defensive expert who has exceeded as a head coach"

Was answered unless I miss understood.. .Saban was a defensive expert... He succeeded. I am sure we can find others but I just thought of him off the top of my head.

Thanks for your reply! I was later reminded that Saban had been a DC. It's been a long, long time.

Muschamp left a great defense at Florida but we've all watched the offense struggle most of this year and the last several years. Was he unable to hire a quality OC? Did he lack the knowledge to know what was needed to be a good OC?

Is it better to hire an OC or DC for a Power 5 Conference team or hire a HC from a lower D-1 or very successful D-1A team?

I believe her question pertained to the jump from a major college DC to major college HBC position, Saban's rise didn't follow that course.........

Go Canes Go!

I believe her question pertained to the jump from a major college DC to major college HBC position, Saban's rise didn't follow that course.........

Go Canes Go!

I read it as a defensive expert.

I like Kirby Smart but I give him 3 years and he is out. I would rather see the Georgia Southern Head Coach take over at Georgia. Georgia Southern has a nice offense and a decent defense. Kirby is going to follow in the footsteps of Muschamp.

Bob Stoops UF defensive coordinator, Oklahoma head coach, national title in year 2 or 3

I don't see him getting more than three years in Athens.

You fire a guy who gave you how many 9-10win seasons even with losses late in the year to guys like Chubbs, Gurley, and Stafford?!?!?!

Good luck to them and I wish MR all the best down in Coral Gables.

I think Mark Richt will be fine down there at the University of Miami. He has plenty of athletes to choose from and a favorable conference. As long as they have realistic expectations.

Coordinator success as a HBC depends on the coach under whom they are tutored so to speak. Stoops was a DC under Spurrier who was an offensive guy so he let him do his thing. Jimbo & McElwain were OC's under defensive minded coaches so they were also given more reign. These coaches were/are successful as the HBC. Muschamp and Smart served under defensive minded coaches so they weren't given the flexibility and were under more direction from the HBC and therefore are less prepared for being a HBC. Just my observation.

Reactions: 22wham and peezy28
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT