ADVERTISEMENT

Jambun, officiating this Saturday

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
I realize in high school you guys don't have the benifit of instant replay. But in NCAA they they do. I got a question maybe you can answer. Did you see the Bama game and that play that they had a couple of calls they needed to look at?

On one play they looked at a sack of the QB, fumble, then block in the back on the scoop and score.

The replay shows:

1) What looks like Targeting in real time: a helmet to helmet hit (I can see that one going either way).

2) Block in back: The defender with the ball is on the ten when the block in the back occurs - clearly shown on TV replay, they award the TD anyway.

And, yesterday I saw it happen twice (and once last week), ball carrier approachiing the goal line flips the ball backyards before it breaks the plane. Only called one of the three.

During the Bama game they said they were revieweing from SEC HQ, they missed at least #2 - do they use the same TV shots they're showing in the broadcast booth?

You need to consider that the SEC is and always has been notorious for their poor officiating. It isn't that they miss calls its that they are ensuring the designated team wins. The SEC has to have Bama win this year. There are no other candidates for the final four.

Well, the above scenario didn't exactly support that theory, because they could have nixed that TD in a couple of different ways.

But SK have to admit when they won the next three challenges, and talked about the main office, that did cross his mind. Even though the broadcasters quickly called all three. But SK, old and jaded and knows to follow the money, like his constant ragging on the Pac 12 being over promoted every year.

... It isn't that (SEC officials) miss calls, its that they are ensuring the designated team wins ...
Agree 100% on the above, In fack, Wavebb (Creator, Publisher and Sole Proprietor of the Wave Index) sent out a very detail e-mail in which he explain how the whole Bama-Ole Miss game was scripted ahead of time.

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
There are just too many poorly officiated games in the SEC for it to be anything but following league office orders.
The word you're looking for is "Conspiracy".

Many people laugh at conspiracy theories, but Nu'Trelle know different. Several years ago, his ex-wives got together and tried to ruin him. It was a BIG conspiracy. All 14 of em was involve.

SK, we saw a similar situation in the Florida game. We wondered if the officiating team was from North Texas' conference and not familiar with the speed of the SEC. How did Del Rio get hit in the knee and it not be called targeting. I watch many SEC games every weekend and the refs did not look familiar to me (not that I know all of them).

It just seemed like everything got reviewed and the refs never agreed with the announcers who we assumed were watching the same tape. If not, that could explain the difference.

Last edited:
Well, Charlotte went from like 160 yards of penalties last week to less than 50 this week. This week's crew threw about a 1/4 of the flags on both teams last week's crew threw. Its an inexact science calling games.

The word you're looking for is "Conspiracy".

Many people laugh at conspiracy theories, but Nu'Trelle know different. Several years ago, his ex-wives got together and tried to ruin him. It was a BIG conspiracy. All 14 of em was involve.

“I hear you're a conspiracy nut. Well, this is the conspiracy, kid. It ain't ancient gods an' aliens an' coded shit on the dollar bill. It ain't even a secret, it's somthin' ordinary folks do for a livin' every day of the week. It's business.”
-Garth Ennis

Silver King, I did not see the game only some highlights which did not show these controversial calls. I can't really speak about the NCAA, and how the officials are graded or assigned. I do know several people who are currently or are trying to become college football officials, and they literally have to spend thousands of dollars of their own money traveling to clinics, and scrimmages to try to climb the latter. It is very competitive to become a college football official.

Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT