Aug 31, 2003
1.) Joshua Booker (RB)- formerly a (RB)at Sarasota HS
2.) William Ivey Junior (SS) - formerly a (RB) at Southeast HS
3.) Shane Hooks (WR) - formerly a (WR) at Timber Creek HS
4.) Jaylen Striker(FS) - formerly a (QB) at Alonzo HS
5.) Hayden Brewer (WR) - formerly a (WR) at Cardinal Mooney HS
6.) Gary White (LB) - formerly a (RB) at Northeast HS
7.) Carter Sysak (DE) - formerly a (Tackle) at (Tampa) Riverview HS

* Young Man by the name of "Quay Mays 6'3" 265" now on the 2016 Manatee Roster, that wasn't on any Manatee roster last year either, but I wasn't able associate him to another school?

Wouldn't say this is a collection of talent from far and wide that would be on par with IMG, but apparently folks are finding Bradenton as an attractive place to live?

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
You didn't give positions but I assume there is a variety from the transfers. Hope you have a great year. We will all be looking for you in the playoffs.

the whole transfer thing just really troubles me, at one time it was just an issue limited to kids moving within the county. Obviously its grown into something much bigger than that now. Manatee will be fine this year. Manatee lacks the physicality up front on its defensive and offensive lines to compete for a state title. (The game against Armwood should expose that big time) I see the game against the Alabama team as being much more competitive than last years game against Hoover, the rest of the schedule is one I could easily see Manatee going 9-1 or 8-2 and making it to the 2/3 round of the playoffs.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: BrowardHandicapper
My fear is that the academics will suffer. Moving from one school to another is difficult enough. Having the same academic programs will be even harder to find.

Being around the military for over 30 years, I saw children who were above the grade level and many that fell behind. Moving a student just so they can play in a better football program is ridiculous! I remember in the late 2000's when so many players were moving to Lakeland. I was not near to see any of their games but I'm certain some of these transfers never got playing time. Moving can be a major mistake!

Kids recruit each other and it will really get interesting next season when kids can play where ever they want with the new ruling! Coach Booth and his staff has made this program a place where parents want their kids to play, and kids themselves want to come play. Just like the programs at Armwood, Plant, STA and others. This is just the beginning! I see Manatee completing this year for a state title by the end of the year! Offensive line will be probably not the biggest in resent years, but probably the physically strongest they have had in a while and with the offensive scheme they run they don't need the big holliwogs up front. This will be by far the most talented gathering of skill kids they have had in awhile!! Everyone is excited! This team will be flying under the radar early in class 8A! Go Canes!

Last edited:
Mays was originally at Manatee and played freshman football. He transferred to Evans where he didn't play last year. Big physical kid that has a chip on his shoulder. He will be a big addition!

Mays was originally at Manatee and played freshman football. He transferred to Evans where he didn't play last year. Big physical kid that has a chip on his shoulder. He will be a big addition!
Why did he not play last year? Was he at Manatee in the spring?

TWC249 said:Coach Booth and his staff has made this program a place where parents want their kids to play, and kids themselves want to come play. So that place everyone wants to come to play.........hasn't translated with incoming freshmen the last 2 years where the incoming talent hasn't won a game in 2 years. I guess coach Booth decided to get it done with transfers statewide instead?

TWC249 said: I see Manatee completing this year for a state title by the end of the year! Still drinking the kool-aide I see. Care to put something up in the way of a friendly wager on whether this actually happens, like a donation to a charitable organization if it doesn't happen and I'll pay up if it does?

TWC249 said: Offensive line will be probably not the biggest in resent years, but probably the physically strongest they have had in a while. I'll give you that they may be the strongest, I'm not there to watch kids in the weight room to compare. This group however isn't going to be able to get it done against quality teams.......again the Armwood game will expose that.

TWC249 said: This will be by far the most talented gathering of skill kids they have had in awhile!!
The skill talent Manatee had 2 years ago was fairly impressive, had Manatee been able to put QB on the field to compliment that talent they would have probably gone unbeaten until the Apopka game. The WR group last year was collectively some of the best I've seen in watching 45 years of Manatee football. Too bad Coach Booth cant find some big physical kids on Campus to get them over the hump in the later rounds of the playoffs.

Go Canes Go!

Mays had academic issue but is now eligible. No, he transferred in a several weeks ago. Going to be a good player! Big addition for a very young defense! Big strong kid!

Sometimes Gatorman it doesn't seem like we are supporting the same team? I know we don't always agree and you probably don't even like me? But the information I get is pretty accurate and first hand and you should know that!

Let start,

Your total sucess seems to be based on the lower level programs, wins and loses. Because you're always bringing it up. Yes, they want to win but that really isn't that important to them at that level. Actually, the incoming talent is there! Twelve of the top 9th graders where on the JV squad last year The same will be this year. The top QB prospect will the a 6'1 190 9th grader, and he will start on the JV. He might even play against Armwood if AJ is not ready due to injury. The varsity might even have a freshman starter on offense?

We feel that every year we can challenge for a state title! This year is no different. We are talking about 16 and 17 year old kids. So anything can happen. We have won titles with less talent and not gotten there with more talent. Remember I said we will challenge for a title!! And "yes" I drink Cool-aid every once in awhile. Orange is my favorite!

When you have one of the top conditioning/weight coaches around and a outstanding off season workout/conditioning programs your kids are going to be stronger. I don't know where you get your information from, as far as how good and how physical are kids are? Its amazing the knowledge you have from another state! Listen, Armwood will be a big challenge for us! We know that! That is why we play these games. There will be nobody we play that we can't beat! And come December we will be ready to challenge anybody!

With the transfers and young offensive skill kids coming up, we are going to be very explosive! D1 WR Milton, (transfer) WR 6'3 Hooks, (transfer) D1 RB Booker and returning QB AJ Colagiovanni. We have a unbelievable freshman WR who played last year on a Pop Warner championship team out of Orlando possibly starting at slot and last years JV's offensive MVP, WR Keyon Fordham. And that is only mentioning a few!

Defensively, we are going to be young. Alonzo High tranfer JR Jaylen Stricker 6'3 190 FS along with 6'3 270 DL Quay Mays and LB 6'2 215 Garrett Ware will lead the way! We have a good group to build around. It will be a challege against Armwood, but one they are looking forward too!

So, Gatorman lets see what happens? I believe we are going to surprise some people, maybe even you, our biggest critic! Let the fun begin!!

Go Canes!

Last edited:
Reactions: jgking83
TWC249, your information to me is presented in a manner that can only be described as a view seen only through rose colored glasses. That's probably best illustrated by putting it this way....... if I tried some of that orange flavored Kool-Aide you say you like so much, I probably spit it out and then immediately ask..."My God how much sugar did you put in that?"
If you had actually read my earlier post, I indicated Manatee would be fine this season going either 9-1 or 8-2 during the regular season and probably playing to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs. Hardly a doom and gloom forecast...........

The offense because of its skilled talent, and some pretty darn good coaching by the Booth brothers should be explosive! I'll hold fast to my belief however, that it will not have the ability to be physical up front against teams that present quality defensive fronts.

Defensively I see another year where Manatee tries to over whelm teams with speed and constant pressure. I could see the 3-4 front working in the playoffs if Manatee had plug at the NG position and a couple of physical hard nosed inside linebackers. Scheme wise though I dont think Choate will allow those inside linebackers to read and react........he likes to bring pressure from ever where because he knows over-all he just doesnt have the physicality to play teams like DP or Armwood straight up. So instead he brings the pressure hoping to put players individually in a position to make plays and/or to disrupt.

I harp on the freshman teams because Im a big time foundation kind of guy.........your freshman teams are where success for the future is determined. Joe understood that and built a program from the bottom up, Im just not seeing coach Booth at this point even beginning to turn the corner on that front. The freshman and JV teams of the last 2 years lacked numbers and over-all talent. Transfers are all good and fine, but I'm still waiting to see if coach Booth has the ability to replicate what Joe did in establishing a program built from the bottom up?

Go Canes Go!

Manatee always has the absolute best exchanges between their own fans. Not like some past posts between Venice and Charlotte when we jab and counter punch with each other. Nope: the Canes go 'mano y mano' with each other.

+3 to both of you cats because you'e knowledgeable and entertaining.

TWC, SK seems to recall you being impressed and bragging about how good Manatee's freshman teams used to be several years back - telling us about great QBs and running backs to come. Now ole SK is gunna cut you some slack; he understands this is the political season and stances change to fit the circumstances or narrative.

But please carry on fellas, SK loves him some Suncoast and SW Florida FB.

Reactions: peezy28
Silver King, you would think between the both of us there might be some truth? Lol! Hey, we all have our own opinions! That's what makes this time of year fun and exciting!! I am very close to the program and have a pretty good idea and inside track of whats going on. Lets face it, kids are just not coming out for football like they use to. Numbers are down everywhere. Hell, there were several schools in our county that didn't field freshman teams last year and want this year.
We will be fine! With the new ruling that goes into effect next year. Kids can play basically anywhere they want. You are going to see the rich get richer! We have had more transfers and school choice for football this summer than any other time including the Kinnan era! That includes many in coming freshman.
Coach Booth has done a tremendous job representing this program and moving it forward. We are top notch when it comes to the way we go about business. Parents and kids are seeing that! The program is in great hands!

Go Canes!

Last edited:
Sure there's truth. And yep, Manatee's program has been competitive for years, if it wasn't there'd be hell to pay, same as Venice, Charlotte, Ft Myers and Naples in their counties.

The rich will get richer. But not forever. SK is a dinosaur, but he still knows a thing about competition: Competitive athletes will still want to play and if they're not starting because of an All Star playing in front of them, they'll work the system the other way after the novelty wears off. They'll do like the NBA guys and find an almost-there team and load it up.

They host Armwood on the 19th. Armwood is loaded like every year. Manatee will probably be without their starting QB. He is recoving from a broken bone in his foot. He should be ready by the opener. Should be a great test!

Here is a little interesting info. Coach Sean Callahan at Armwood actually was going to except the head job at Manatee when Kinnan retired in 2000. He ended up turning it down when he couldn't transfer his years teaching from Hillsborough County to Manatee County. The rest is history with his continued sucess at Armwood. Four years later Kinnan returned to Manatee.

Interesting info there...

Yeah, not even worth the QB suiting up in a pre-season. Get that ankle right for when it counts!

13384802-standard.jpg
"twc2499, I am very close to the program and have a pretty good idea and inside track of whats going on. "

twc2499, ever wonder why coaches watch the game from the press box, or why Paul Bear Bryant had his observation tower at the university of Alabama? Sometimes when your in the midst of what's going on down on the field, you miss allot. Don't dismiss my perspectives just because as you say I'm not as close to the program as you are.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Yeah, and a lot have been fired for their perspectives up in those pearches!!

Gatorman said: Don't dismiss my perspective just because as you say I'm not as close to the program as you are.

A definition of perspective is "a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view.

So that answers many of our questions of how you come up with this stuff! None of it is actually you knowing what your talking about or having facts, or evening experiencing it yourself first hand? It's your opinion, or what you are perceiving it to be from a far distance! OK, now i have a better understanding!

Hey, Gatorman is always fun to hear your perspective on things down here Caneland. Look forward to hearing more from you! But, if you really want to know first hand on what's actually really going on, just ask?

It's now time to close out this thread! I'm done! Onto the next topic!

Go Canes!

I'll get a closeup in a few weeks in Alabama, and then again in Oct when I am down there............always enjoy taking in the freshman and JV practices/games, and of course the varsity games. It gives me lots of clarity beyond the sugar coated glaze you offer up on here, and allows me to provide a dose of reality that you never provide.
Of course your slanted perspective on things is laced with the blood relationship you have on the coaching staff, as well as a son that is on the roster.............that's what you call putting things in its proper perspective..........

Go Canes Go!

So what's an everyday fan supposed to think about TRANSFERS? Well, I don't care for it. It's like, you want to take pride in seeing your school do well, because that's where you went to school. But this all takes away from the local feel of it all. You want your players to be from West Bradenton, but they're not. So exactly who are we cheering for? Manatee? From West Bradenton?

I think it makes it a mixed feeling for fans. Do we prefer that players truly be local and risk going 3-7? Or should I just shut up and be glad to be in the playoffs almost every year, even though it's an all-star team not from our own hometown?

From my perspective, I root for Manatee regardless. I love my program. Now that some of the guys I played with are leading the program, I love it even more. I do miss when kids played for their zoned school, but the landscape has changed. It does not diminish my love for the program. I'm looking forward to this season! Go Canes Go!

Reactions: Silver King
Magic, coming from an old man who played in the district era and watching what is happening now I think the transfer rule will ruin high school football in Florida. Talking amongst my peers they feel the same way and think it is joke. High school is about camaraderie, teaching teamwork, discipline, working hard and school pride. It's not the NFL or college where you recruit or assemble a roster from all over. I laugh how these coaches say we have to go out of state to find quality teams, if it was the way it used to be you would have 3 to 4 games each season that would be a battle from your area and have twice as much interest from a fan stand point. Maybe they should do it the way they have it up north with private/public schools having there own conferences, except you are either a district team only or non-district roster team. That would be interesting to see which conference the principals and athletic directors would choose.

Reactions: Neutral 0bserver
... I think the transfer rule will ruin high school football in Florida. Talking amongst my peers, they feel the same way and think it is joke. High school is about camaraderie, teaching teamwork, discipline, working hard and school pride. It's not the NFL or college where you recruit or assemble a roster from all over. I laugh how these coaches say we have to go out of state to find quality teams, if it was the way it used to be you would have 3 to 4 games each season that would be a battle from your area and have twice as much interest from a fan stand point.
The traditional district rivalries that you describe certainly stoked interest and often filled stadiums to capacity. But that's over. It was in another era.

Today, with free agency in place, the idea is to win by assembling more talent than rival schools. You don't worry about developing younger players, you simply figure out how to locate transfers. It makes about as much sense as winning at poker by being allowed to extract cards from other players' hands.

Then morons who are essentially too brain-dead to understand the full ramifications of allowing free agency come on message boards such as this and have the nerve to brag about the number of players who have been cannibalized.

Sport? Oh yeah. No question about it.

Same dudes who brag about dominating a district in this manner would probably go to an outdoor forum and brag about limiting out at a trout farm or bringing down a 12 point buck that was tied to a tree.

Well, I'm still a fan and want us to win. But sometimes it just doesn't feel right. I'll still go to a few games though.

Same dudes who brag about dominating a district in this manner would probably go to an outdoor forum and brag about limiting out at a trout farm or bringing down a 12 point buck that was tied to a tree.
I want to meet that guy who tied that 12 point buck to a tree.

I want to meet that guy who tied that 12 point buck to a tree.
Okay. No hard feelings. Change it from "tied to a tree" to "caught in an illegal snare" if that paints a better picture of a defenseless animal for you. The point is this: No amount of sporting skill would be involved in the kill.

the whole transfer thing just really troubles me, at one time it was just an issue limited to kids moving within the county. Obviously its grown into something much bigger than that now.
If you bump into gatorman001, sit him down on a chair and try to explain to him that he hasn't seen anything yet. The sporadic activity we've seen thus far is only the tip of the iceberg. The majority of people who will become obsessed with winning football games at the HS level haven't even come out of the blocks yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT