ADVERTISEMENT

Illegal HS Recruiting

Nothing new, but like crying wolf, those allegations (particularly parent) driven by jealousy probably makes it tough for those investigating (as the piece alludes) to wade through the bull and get to the serious ones. And while some schools never get caught, a few big time programs have been, at one time or another. In the classification Charlotte plays in, two pretty high profile teams had to forfeit seasons in two consecutive years. One was a state champ. At least they did the crime and paid the fine.

What I have a problem with is the discrepancies in punishment for programs like the year Immokalee had to forfeit its season and any post season play the next season because in a migrant community where admissions can't ask for birth certificates in some cases, they missed two overaged players (Kickers). That next year, hands down they would have been state champs - blew everybody away. Niceville had a similar issue and played in the same year's playoffs after an appeal. So, a rural farm area group of kids, the next year, paid for the sins of their administrators the year before, and a school that had some money lawyers behind it, hardly got a slap on the wrist by the FHSAA.

Want to end it? If a coach is complicit, suspend him for a year from coaching if he's found guilty.

How about the school that starts recruiting players before their military parents move to the area? Military are assigned a sponsor at their next assignment. If the sponsor happens to live in one school district, they persuade the quality player's family to move there. FHSAA has little jurisdiction in that matter. And I've seen that happen over and over.

Not so much anymore. My kids never moved and my son may not either. The military are reducing moves to save money.

Uh... allow military members to live wherever they want. Even if that sponsor is within a certain school zone. It is none of your business to get into the dealings of an active military member. Speculating alone is a low move.

Sounds to me like the bigger issue is schools policing themselves. Sounds like a conflict of interest. I wonder what schools in Duval (besides Bolles and TC) they are looking at...so many transfer year after year.

I've been associated with the military for years. I don't give them a pass. This is as illegal as college booster reaching out to star high school players.

Does it happen in Tampa or Jacksonville? I don't know. It does in Northwest Florida.

The best "recruiting tool" is winning games. Everyone wants to play for the winner. As long as teams are dominating, they will continue to get the best players. Also, some coaches are good "recruiters" and have a way about getting good players to their school without getting caught. This is always going to be an issue in high school sports.

Reactions: Silver King
Choctaw Fan...so if I'm moving to a new area can I not call a friend who lives there to get advice on what part of town to live in? It's funny because more parents take into consideration school zones before making a move. I see nothing wrong with a military sponsor giving advice to a military family moving in. Now if that military sponsor is being paid by a High School that's a different story. Regardless don't be so bitter that Niceville is always better than Choctaw lol.

Reactions: riverrat1961
The best "recruiting tool" is winning games. Everyone wants to play for the winner. As long as teams are dominating, they will continue to get the best players... This is always going to be an issue in high school sports.
Everything about your theory is correct, but you left out the final words of the last sentence; the summation, if you will:

"This is always going to be an issue in high school sports until such time as the kids at the other schools say "Enough already. We quit."

The situation is much like when the idiots in Cuba decided to slaughter all the poultry. Everyone enjoyed chicken on Sunday, then wondered on Monday why there were no eggs.

Only a monumental fool believes that the game will survive if one group is allowed to align things so that competition is all but eliminated.

Will it work for a while? Yes. For the duration? No way. The game will die from strict indifference.

Reactions: The.Hammer
It happened at all schools in the area. And Niceville IS NOT better than Choctaw. Never!

Immokalee 2005/06 FHSAA article that next year's team would have been a favorite to win a State title:

"The violations centered on the participation of three student-athletes who were over-age. FHSAA Bylaw 11.6.1 states that a student-athlete is eligible until the day he or she reaches the age of 19 years 9 months. Two of the three over-age student-athletes participated in the school's boys soccer program, the third in football... All three students were immigrants who had provided false birth certificates to gain eligibility. The school did not file with the FHSAA Office the required form for international students on any of the three students because they were not classified as "international students" by Collier County School Board policy.
The school was officially notified of the Commissioner's findings and penalties today.
"These violations are both unfortunate and disturbing," Commissioner John A. Stewart said. "The FHSAA age rule exists to ensure the physical well-being of all student-athletes. We have to be certain that teen-agers are playing against other teen-agers and not against adult men and women.
"While we have no reason to believe the violations constitute a willful misconduct on behalf of the school, we cannot dismiss the school's failure to ensure that the student-athletes were of the appropriate age."
In addition to a formal reprimand, the Commissioner imposed the following penalties in this case:
• The school is fined a total of $3,000 ($1,000 for each of the three violations);
• The school must reimburse the Association for the cost of the investigation (final expenses have not yet been determined);...
• The school's football program is placed on one year of restrictive probation to encompass the 2006-07 school year. During this one-year period of probation, the school's football program is restricted from participation in a preseason classic or jamboree, a post-season bowl game, FHSAA state series competition, and a spring classic or jamboree. The school's varsity football team is limited solely to the permissible 10 regular season games. Games played against Immokalee in the 2006 football season will not count in the district standings for any opponent."

That's why they should make the penalty on coaches harsher; Start sanctioning them instead of the team, and things will change in a hurry.

"Sorry Coach, evidence has you dead to rights: This infraction carries a $3,000 fine and one season suspension from coaching."

im not going to single out any team but i will say i would not be surprised if we have played a team or 2 in the recent past that probley recruited players

I have a neighbor, military, just moved in from Hawaii. They picked Niceville over living in Crestview or Ft. Walton because they wanted their children to go to the schools in Niceville and because their sophomore son is a QB and they thought coach Hicks offered the best opportunity to coach up their son. That is not recruiting that's good parenting. All of the schools in Okaloosa are good, we are very fortunate, but parents have to evaluate what is best for their situation and what they can afford. This kid may have been able to start somewhere else in the county but that isn't what his dad wanted. All the local schools in Okaloosa County benefit from military kids moving in but they also suffer from them moving away. I made a conscious decision to retire rather than move my family but not everyone has that opportunity.

That's why they should make the penalty on coaches harsher; Start sanctioning them instead of the team, and things will change in a hurry.

"Sorry Coach, evidence has you dead to rights: This infraction carries a $3,000 fine and one season suspension from coaching."

Recruiting is now legal. You just have to know how to do it legally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT