ADVERTISEMENT

High School Support

swett2victory

Aug 28, 2010
Cocoa Beach
PHAC MAN, NEUTRAL, DRUMMER, SILVER KING, MUSTANG MOM

There are 5 High Schools in this big county I live in and I would like to conduct a fundraiser. I plan to hold 2 adult basketball tournament and 2 adult softball tournament in one year. The purpose of this is to raise $10,000 in one year and give it to the first school of choice. From there the myself, the principal, and possibly coaches of the first school will gather to see how the money should be distributed(actually this will be done prior/after fundraiser). My family just raised this same amount for any kid towards a scholarship at a university so I know it can be do.

My questions:
1. Do you'll have any other ideas for big fundraising events?
2. As the one in charge, how would you spread $10,000 within the sports of one school?
3. Is it fair to divide it to ONLY the top 2 most financial needed sports in that school?

i am welcoming your suggestions

Thanks
S2V

I'll hit that lure sweetiepie. We have a Tarpon Athletic Hall of Fame (individuals, teams, coaches) SKs on that committee and also the chairman of the Tarpon Reunion Scholarship fund that we started 15 years ago. Each year we hold a banquet/roast for the inductees, SK does an annual magazine(Program sized) that we sell for $20. We do an auction at the banquet (SK cooks too). We've awarded $65,000 in scholarship money over the last 15 years. SK also does a scholarship in the name of his late wife, a Tarpon Football mom. Redfish and Golf Tournaments around here are saturated - have to think outside the box.

SK,
I like the ideas..

I know I did not specify, but the scholarship part of my script is an idea outside the school system and outside of my new fundraising idea.. My wife's father was a referee here in the area for 30yrs, past away 2yrs ago and my wife came up with this idea to honor him and to help a kid coming out of high school and going into college and awarding them with a scholarship in the athletic department.

Now what I am trying to do is the same idea except this is not going towards one of the 5 schools, for equipment, uniforms, ect....

Who produces the magazine?
What do you auction out?

Can't Miss Proposition: Don't know I this would fly in North Carolina, but here in FL whenever Nu'Trelle in need of raisin serious $$$, nothing work better than inviting wimmens from his trailer park over and dancin for 'em.

This might could work for you too. Of course, Nu'Trelle assumin you jus like him - in tip-top shape and able to drive wimmens of all ages out their minds.

Helpful Hints: Remember not to wear a real tight pair of briefs - damn thing don't hold enough dollar bills - and forget about pickin up change until everybody leave.

Reactions: swett2victory
Can't Miss Proposition: Don't know I this would fly in North Carolina, but here in FL whenever Nu'Trelle in need of raisin serious $$$, nothing work better than inviting wimmens from his trailer park over and dancin for 'em.

This might could work for you too. Of course, Nu'Trelle assumin you jus like him - in tip-top shape and able to drive wimmens of all ages out their minds.

Helpful Hints: Remember not to wear a real tight pair of briefs - damn thing don't hold enough dollar bills - and forget about pickin up change until everybody leave.
LOL funny....
Give me a serious experience Neutral

Its always great to give back. We do the Hall through the AD as well as the printing of the magazine in district which has bios of all the inductees. We get a few sponsors just like they do for the program. Our Reunion Scholarship Committee host the banquet charges $50 per head (Inductees and spouse come free). We do the inductions half time of a home game, the banquet the next night. At the roast we pass around a football helmet for donations for anyone who wants to say something. People know its a fundraiser and are generous.

That's kind of offensive, Sweaty. He WAS being serious.
bigstock-Hysterical-Laughing-Man-7067121.jpg

PHAC MAN, NEUTRAL, DRUMMER, SILVER KING, MUSTANG MOM

There are 5 High Schools in this big county I live in and I would like to conduct a fundraiser. I plan to hold 2 adult basketball tournament and 2 adult softball tournament in one year. The purpose of this is to raise $10,000 in one year and give it to the first school of choice. From there the myself, the principal, and possibly coaches of the first school will gather to see how the money should be distributed(actually this will be done prior/after fundraiser). My family just raised this same amount for any kid towards a scholarship at a university so I know it can be do.

My questions:
1. Do you'll have any other ideas for big fundraising events?
2. As the one in charge, how would you spread $10,000 within the sports of one school?
3. Is it fair to divide it to ONLY the top 2 most financial needed sports in that school?

i am welcoming your suggestions

Thanks
S2V

sweet2,, I don't know anything about hs fundraising.. However, yours is an nice idea and I wish you well.. Innovative ideas may be found on hs fund raising tips.com

At the roast we pass around a football helmet for donations for anyone who wants to say something. People know its a fundraiser and are generous.
How the roast set-up? The harder a man roast somebody, the more money he haff to put in the helmet? Ain't never gonna happen because no way the Tarps gonna elect no Green Wave to their Hall, but if they somehow voted in Wavebb, Nu'Trelle guarantee this: When Nu'Trelle walk up to the helmet an start shovin in bundles of $100's, Wave would throw up boof hands, push his chair back an exit the buildin.

Reactions: redfishron
You have to first set up a non-profit charity and get a tax exempt number. Otherwise, a large portion of the funds collected will go to the IRS instead of the kids.

Multi Family Yard sale held at the school. Take donations from the families of the players and ask for donations from the students parents via the students, hold it on a Saturday from 8am till 4pm. Sale drinks and any bakery that you can. Have someone with experience run the cash register or money box.
The more families you can get involved the better the sale will be. Make sure those that volunteer are reminded that they are needed to work a week ahead by sending out an email saying something to the effect that "We are looking forward to a good sale this coming weekend."
We've done several and normally make enough that we look forward to doing more. Depending on the donations you can pull in as much as several thousand.

S2V, Silver King has much more experience than I do at planning fundraising events like this, but I have participated in quite a few. From what I have seen, the events that each team puts on benefits that team only, but smaller schools may do it differently.

One of the things that a lot of the Florida schools do, and I would think would also work well in NC, is to have a golf tourney. We usually do ours in the summertime, and not only do people pay for foursomes and lunch, but there is also a raffle with donated gifts. Golf courses will usually work with you on prices, because it helps them, too.

Also, we were talking about Hudl on another thread, but one of the things schools can use them for is for fundraising. You can create a campaign on the site and have players who are registered on Hudl input emails for possible donors. Hudl automatically generates the fundraising emails, which are usually a donation request, on behalf of the team.

The private school my oldest son attended had great success with a themed night for parents and other people interested in helping the team. It was basically a dinner/auction, which was a silent one, with the biggest items saved for a live auction at the end. Again, a lot of things can be donated, like the auction items and even the dinner. Players can even sell tickets to the general public, if you're interested in going that route.

Someone else (SK?) mentioned the value of having a booster club. That cannot be understated, because they organize and carry out all of these types of things. My family has been involved with schools that have a strong booster club and those that don't, and let me tell you--that is what separates the haves from the have nots, in every respect.

Mustangmom is absolutely right. I was in our school's booster club and we had a lot of promotional events that worked very well. I lived in Florida for years and never spent a night on the beach. We made a trip from Virginia back to the panhandle and rented a condo on the gulf coast. It was AWESOME! If you can buy or get a donation of a weekend in a condo on the beach, I'm certain you will make tons of money. Choctaw's band bought many cars and motorcycles then sold raffle tickets and made enough to support their trips to state competitions and national parades.

We do ours separate of the Booster Club, but this school has been the center of a small community forever, so everyone supports it. Our Booster Club raised a Million dollars doing an annual used boat auction over a couple of decades (Won a National HS Fundraising Award for it) - that money's in the bank and they help the entire school out not just sports each year with the interest.

I didn't know there was a National HS Fundraising Award. Something to shoot for and to entice the donors!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT