ADVERTISEMENT

Herald Article on Aquinas

You know what they are not the only ones with state in the bag either

Keepinitreal.

Okay alot had been said..

Can you sum up what your major point is here. like give us some bullet points or a paragraph of what your whole point is and what should happen.

Last edited:
STA lost to a 9-4, 4A third round team in a very close game. - Fact

STA obliterated a 7th round State Semifinal undefeated team that was undefeated. - Fact

Last year STA slaughtered that same 4A team that beat them this year. - Fact

Never did anyone in Broward or Dade ever hear any whining from that 4A team ...ever.

Why can't the rest of the state take their lumps, regroup and come back stronger?

Ok
Point 1. to talk about the loss STA had. They are poorly coached and very undisciplined. Hence the brawl, 12 personal fouls and player throwing a punch. So can they lose? Yes, can they lose if they are on? NO

The main point is this is ruining Hs football. You are creating all-star teams (40 BCS players), everyone has kids that transfer in and out every year but no one gets 21 BCS kids. Silver could you imagine if 21 BCS kids transferred to Charlotte? Look what coach Waldrop does with 1 or 2 that are home grown and developed in the program. How are local Hs football teams supposed to compete against that? Does coach Daniels say alright guys we have to have a great year this year we are going to lift everyday and we are going to work hard I the summer. Our goal is to be district champs and go 11-1. Does Coach Peacock say hey guys our goal is to go 13-1? They can not compete against that no matter how hard they work. Is that fair to a kid to know that we're going to play HS football but eventually we have to play an all star team and we don't stand a chance.

Point 3. I can't understand why STA would want to be in the state playoffs? What does it prove? Who are the leaders of this school? Do they not noticed that it is an unfair playing field? They need to accept what they are. They are an Athletic private school no different than IMG. Why not play a national schedule? What's the point of winning a state championship?

Ok
Point 1. to talk about the loss STA had. They are poorly coached and very undisciplined. Hence the brawl, 12 personal fouls and player throwing a punch. So can they lose? Yes, can they lose if they are on? NO

The main point is this is ruining Hs football. You are creating all-star teams (40 BCS players), everyone has kids that transfer in and out every year but no one gets 21 BCS kids. Silver could you imagine if 21 BCS kids transferred to Charlotte? Look what coach Waldrop does with 1 or 2 that are home grown and developed in the program. How are local Hs football teams supposed to compete against that? Does coach Daniels say alright guys we have to have a great year this year we are going to lift everyday and we are going to work hard I the summer. Our goal is to be district champs and go 11-1. Does Coach Peacock say hey guys our goal is to go 13-1? They can not compete against that no matter how hard they work. Is that fair to a kid to know that we're going to play HS football but eventually we have to play an all star team and we don't stand a chance.

Point 3. I can't understand why STA would want to be in the state playoffs? What does it prove? Who are the leaders of this school? Do they not noticed that it is an unfair playing field? They need to accept what they are. They are an Athletic private school no different than IMG. Why not play a national schedule? What's the point of winning a state championship?

Point 1. If they are poorly coached and very undisciplined but lose to a 3A , 9-4 4A taem they were poorly coached and very undisciplined when they destroyed a undefeated 7A Venice team. Is that a fair statement? Either that 3A, 9-4 4A team is a lot better than a undefeated 7A team that was slaughtering everything in their path or the STA Coaching just hired Belichik and Saban to break down film on Venice. - What gives?

The Venice team that I saw would have lost to and got smacked around by several public schools down here as well. I respect the goals of Venice and I don't know what the HC should be telling them. STA did not beat Venice because of "recruits"....What I can tell you is Venice will struggle with SFL powers until they have more overall team speed. Sorry.

Why did your rant on STA start so aggressively AFTER they destroyed Venice?

Shouldn't more of your anger be addressed to the FHSAA than STA?

STA played two FL 2015 State Champions this year and @ a National Champion. They also had to play a 7A Florida team that was undefeated, and beating teams by damn near 50 pts a game.

Why isolate and hammer STA's scheduling versus other teams that have have been National Champs? There are other teams down here that are national powers.. Ever hear of Miami Central, Booker T. Washington?

Reactions: Zoe Boy
You guys are missing the point again. STA is not the same STA. Before you had a team with a couple of studs sprinkled in with good football players. Now it is only BCS studs on the team. Please try to follow that. Silver you could take the best players Charlotte has had in the past 20 years and you would get spanked by this STA team. They are classless and really kind of embarrassing to be a representation of our state. Silver did they have 8 SEC defensive linemen in 2002? No they did not, they did not have 8 SEC players on the team. In the past STA was coached wells and was very disciplined, now they are completely opposite of that. The last 2 games they have had 12 personal fouls and a player ejected. That came on the heels of a all out brawl.
Gator man. Get your facts together. Manatee did not win a game against STA in overtime. They beat them in 2009 as a runner up at home 28-20 there was no overtime. But again not the same type of team they have now. What are you guys trying to say? Are you trying to say STA doesn't recruit? I'm sure these players wake up one morning and say momma I want a good catholic education let's see is STA will let me go to school for free. Is that what is happening.
Hey momma let's move to Fort Lauderdale I heard there is a Catholic high school there that has a good education, is that what is happening.
Funny you said that... Plenty reason why guys go to STA besides football or sports wise... I know for one you won't have to worry about your kids getting into fights or worse.. You get a education that's better then most of the public schools down here.. Parents know about STA .... Kids know about them.. Their a household name.. They don't have to do no recruiting.. From what I hear they do turn kids away too.... Best oline men in broward was from Stoneman Douglas... Best safety in Broward was Major Wright Lil bro at Boyd Anderson... We already know who was the best WR in Broward.... You guys are making this like it's WW3... We this new rule maybe the up north teams can "stack"their teams and beat STA like the other public down here been doing every year... BTW you think STA is located in a fancy part in Ft Lauderdale? Check again...

Guys. Just go to 247 sports. Go to recruit search and use the school filter. You'll find over 20 D1 recruits in each of 2017 and 2018 classes for STA. Sorry. That's a stacked deck. If you don't think so then you are high on crack-pcp-meth etc.

Man obviously you are very biased in your opinion, but it is over the top. I guess you hear about it and don't believe it. Who is going to believe one team has 40 kids with BCS offers? Being a Venice fan I have seen Venice knock of #3 team in the country with the longest winning streak in state history in 2000 when the knocked off Lakeland. 2000 they also beat a ELY team that was very good that year and went in to the state championship game as 26 point underdogs and win the game 77-14 against a good Dwyer team. In 2002 they played a very good Deerfield beach team the qb started as a fresh at Tennesee and had a really good team Venice won that 21-7 and every person on the field for Deerfield and Ely were probably faster that Venice fastest player. 2003 Venice knocked off #11 in the country Vero Beach 35-14.
But Friday with Venice's best team in school history the playing field was so slanted it was really very clear that what is taking place at STA is very unfair

I know that Pahokee and Glades Central have had some discussions about playing St. Thomas, but I don't know how serious they were. Both teams wanted to see how they would stack up against them. Dwyer, Oxbridge, and American Heritage (Delray) are the Palm Beach county versions of St. Thomas, but the Glades teams look forward to playing and defeating them..Same with Aquianis, if it ever happened. I'm sure that's the mindset of the Miami teams (Central, BTW, and Northwestern).

Guys. Just go to 247 sports. Go to recruit search and use the school filter. You'll find over 20 D1 recruits in each of 2017 and 2018 classes for STA. Sorry. That's a stacked deck. If you don't think so then you are high on crack-pcp-meth etc.
Ok it's stack nobody disagrees with you or anybody else. I'm telling you with those same kids they have , they still lose and it's not because their poorly coach or undiscipline like that other dude say... You would think a team with a stack deck would go undefeated...

You would think but they are undisciplined and poorly coached.
Fact : brawl
Fact: following week 6 personal fouls and a player ejected
Fact : the week after 6 more personal fouls and almost another fight during half time with coaches.

Man obviously you are very biased in your opinion, but it is over the top. I guess you hear about it and don't believe it. Who is going to believe one team has 40 kids with BCS offers? Being a Venice fan I have seen Venice knock of #3 team in the country with the longest winning streak in state history in 2000 when the knocked off Lakeland. 2000 they also beat a ELY team that was very good that year and went in to the state championship game as 26 point underdogs and win the game 77-14 against a good Dwyer team. In 2002 they played a very good Deerfield beach team the qb started as a fresh at Tennesee and had a really good team Venice won that 21-7 and every person on the field for Deerfield and Ely were probably faster that Venice fastest player. 2003 Venice knocked off #11 in the country Vero Beach 35-14.
But Friday with Venice's best team in school history the playing field was so slanted it was really very clear that what is taking place at STA is very unfair
Oohhh I get it now cause this was Venice so call best team in Venice history n they were suppose to be competitive n or beat STA... ok .. If you called that the best team Venice ever had then I wish they could of played more great teams thought outh the state ... That Venice team that played STA would of went 1-3 in the district Carol City is in with their only victory being against Norland n that probably would of been a close game.. Mater would of beat Venice. Mainland AHP, Chaminade TC, Columbus,Coral Gables, N more... I watched the game y'all had against Brandon River before the STA game n knew y'all would of got a running clock.. I expect Plant to give a better game than Venice...

You would think but they are undisciplined and poorly coached.
Fact : brawl
Fact: following week 6 personal fouls and a player ejected
Fact : the week after 6 more personal fouls and almost another fight during half time with coaches.
So you think that brawl was started by STA players? What the hell a brawl got to do with being undiscipline? They blew out other teams this year and lost to why they weren't no brawls in those games? Fact that lost to BTW , BTW had more penalties then STA.. I was there.. Your reaching my man..

Okay...I will go out on a limb and just say it....Perhaps this Venice team was not the best Venice team in history as you claim...Perhaps there was a little bit of kool-aid flowing....or in the case of the Venice parent that ran on the field during a media conference, something other than kool-aid. Another thing....Even without STA playing a role in 7A FL playoffs ....If this is Venice's best team in history - where the heck was the talent? You can't expect to go to 7A States in FL with what Venice put on the field. Compare that Venice roster to every other large class roster at States - even Viera!

If you watched the game versus STA you can't tell me that Venice being small in the middle, overall team speed, and poor tackling were not major factors in Venice losing that game in that fashion. Venice would not hold a candle to a 3rd round, 9-4, 4A BTW team in those departments either. Coincidentally, BTW were able to beat STA. Speed is a benefit in football.

Reactions: Zoe Boy
I'm not going to debate with you how good or bad Venice is. The fact is they blew through everyone on their schedule including Plant. Let's not make assumptions on here based on opinions. Let's stay with facts.

No doubt Venice did not play their best game but there is no other team in the state with 40 guys with BCS offers including IMG. Not in the country either. I would be wiling to say it's the most by far ever assembled in Hs sports. If I'm wrong provide facts. Do just say Central had a lot. A lot is 7. 10 would be ridiculous. 40 cmon man 40?????

I haven't read or saw an interview where Daniels disputed what the other coach said. Dwyer was accepting of all the penalties except the preseason game ban (that's the only one they were going to appeal). And I'm a Palm Beach county resident.

Reactions: peezy28
No doubt Venice did not play their best game but there is no other team in the state with 40 guys with BCS offers including IMG. Not in the country either. I would be wiling to say it's the most by far ever assembled in Hs sports. If I'm wrong provide facts. Do just say Central had a lot. A lot is 7. 10 would be ridiculous. 40 cmon man 40?????
I understand your frustrations, but you have to play the games and deal with it. When Pahokee was in 3A, we were the only public school in the South. American Heritage (Delray), Oxbridge, Westminster, Chaminade. Tampa Catholic, Melbourne Central, Clearwater Central, and TCJax from the north. I know neither of those teams have what St. Thomas does, but that's worse.

I'm not going to debate with you how good or bad Venice is. The fact is they blew through everyone on their schedule including Plant. Let's not make assumptions on here based on opinions. Let's stay with facts.

Venice beat Plant in a pre-season game. - Fact.

You want to stick to facts! LOL

Here are the facts of the Regular season:

Camden County (GA) 2-7
Manatee 7-4
North Port 1-9
Coral Reef 3-7
Sarasota 5-5
Braden River 9-2
Lakewood Ranch 2-7
Palmetto 6-4
Booker 4-6

COMBINED REGULAR SEASON 37-51 ???

That is the Venice regular season. Venice were bullies. They beat 3 teams over .500. 1 first round playoff team (Manatee) and 1 2nd round playoff team (Braden River) and you think you deserve to sit at the big boys table?
You have quite a sense of entitlement in 7A playing that schedule and I am not speaking relative to STA. I am speaking on behalf of all the other 7A teams that played a much harder schedule but didn't have the privilege to get a shot at STA. Trust me there are many statewide that love to have a shot to play STA but did not have a chance because they did not play a cupcake schedule like Venice did!

Now tell me and please convince me why Venice's Regular season schedule is not:

61765-SLE7L._SY300_.jpg

Last edited:
where the heck was the talent?

Thanks for bringing that up, let's look at demographics. It's the crux of this argument that I made in my very first post to Oracle after his cocky ass talked about STA's "annual tune up" through the west coast, then we beat them. I think the phrase I used was "Our retirement community has more WWII Silver Star recipients than blue chip athletes"

Let's just say for the heck of it that NO schools in Florida recruited and had to play with the kids in their home area. It stands to reason that if you have more to draw from, from a younger population, you should have the advantage. By the way this is the same argument I use as the enforcer of this board when Texas and Cali people who come on here trying to tell us their state compares. Both are much larger states with younger populations.

Charlotte (Punta Gorda) has a population of 16,641
Venice
has a population of 20, 748
They draw fairly exclusive from these two communities, but these are retirement communities with not many under the (typical) high school age of 18.

Miami has a population of 399,475
Ft Lauderdale
has a population of 165,121
Yes there are other schools, but far more kids under the age of 18 in a vibrant economic hub (well, lets say 19 because I bet lots of those teams get into a jam with the 19yrs 9mo limit. Team we just played lost a kid a few weeks ago to that, two of our best just turned 17 three weeks ago - that has an impact too; I was half way through a 4-year career as a college starter when I was 19).

So can we agree that even without hand selecting your team, if you have more to choose from, you're probably going to get a better caliber athlete? The other night Carol City fans (a nice bunch by the way, I talked to a few and they were great - even Number 1's dad, a Horse as their WR committed to my Hurricanes) a few of them were looking at our 5'8" Guard trying to block their 6'4" #99 and were overheard saying "That kid must know all the plays to be in there." Nope, its because he's a tough little bastard and the best kid we could put out there at that position.

Look we can go on and on, these are the conditions the Tarpons play under and so be it. For me and my three Tarpon sons, we'd have all rather played with our homies, who we knew in Little League and grew up with, then go somewhere and win a State Title with people we had little connection to. We went as far as we could with the deck we were dealt and are pretty damn proud of it. Let's just not pretend it isn't what it is.

Last edited:
Venice beat Plant in a pre-season game. - Fact.

You want to stick to facts! LOL

Here are the facts of the Regular season:

Camden County (GA) 2-7
Manatee 7-4
North Port 1-9
Coral Reef 3-7
Sarasota 5-5
Braden River 9-2
Lakewood Ranch 2-7
Palmetto 6-4
Booker 4-6

COMBINED REGULAR SEASON 37-51 ???

That is the Venice regular season. Venice were bullies. They beat 3 teams over .500. 1 first round playoff team (Manatee) and 1 2nd round playoff team (Braden River) and you think you deserve to sit at the big boys table?
You have quite a sense of entitlement in 7A playing that schedule and I am not speaking relative to STA. I am speaking on behalf of all the other 7A teams that played a much harder schedule but didn't have the privilege to get a shot at STA. Trust me there are many statewide that love to have a shot to play STA but did not have a chance because they did not play a cupcake schedule like Venice did!

Now tell me why Venice's Regular season schedule is not:

61765-SLE7L._SY300_.jpg
What a schedule lmao!!! That schedule did not help Venice... You can ask Dan if Mainland schedule help them this year... Cocoa would run through that schedule.

Thanks for bringing that up, let's look at demograpfics. It's the crux of this argument that I made in my very first post to Oracle after his cocky ass talked about STA's "annual tune up" through the west coast, then we beat them. I think the phrase I used was "Our retirement community has more WWII Silver Star recipients than blue chip athletes"

Let's just say for the heck of it that NO schools in Florida recruited and had to play with the kids in their home area. It stands to reason that if you have more to draw from, from a younger population, you should have the advantage.

Venice
They draw fairly exclusive from these two communities, but these are retirement communities with not many under the (typical) high school age of 18.

Ft Lauderdale
Yes there are other schools, but far more kids under the age of 18 (well, lets say 19 because I bet lots of those teams get into a jam with the 19yrs 9mo limit. Team we just played lost a kid a few weeks ago to that, two of our best just turned 17 three weeks ago - that has an impact too; I was half way through a 4-year career as a college starter when I was 19).

So can we agree that even without hand selecting your team, if you have more to choose from, you're probably going to get a better caliber athlete? The other night Carol City fans (a nice bunch by the way, I talked to a few and they were great - even Number 1's dad, a Horse atthe WR committed to my Hurricanes) a few of them were looking at our 5'8" Guard trying to block their 6'4" #99 and were overheard saying "That kid most know all the plays to be in there." Nope, its because he's a tough little bastard and the best kid we could put out there at that position.

Look we can go on and on, these are the conditions we play under and so be it. For me and my three Tarpon sons, we'd have all rather played with our homies, who we knew in Little League and grew up with the go somewhere and win a State Title. We went as far as we could with the deck we were dealt and proud of it. Let's just not pretend it isn't what it is.

Agree 100%. It is what it is...Is it really a shocker of STA's team on paper to look like that? There is an advantage to having bigger numbers and more youth. Factor that with SFL is the hot bed of football in America and it should not be a surprise that a private school (which nationwide generally have loaded teams relative to their communities) in the middle of that area has arguably the best football team assembled on paper. I just don't get how it is such an anomaly to people. STA is playing by the same rules as other privates in the area, it is just easier to attract top talent when you are on top.
If STA closed tomorrow, the other privates would get better and the other publics would get better. So now the Venice type teams would likely get blasted by those schools almost as bad...
The anger should be towards the FHSAA.

You want to see stacked? Go to the private football schools in NJ relative to the rest of the area . No one here has a beef with that though because those teams are not ending their season.

Non district was
Camden 4 GA state titles
Manatee 6 state championships
Coral Reef
And Booker.
They had riverview scheduled that was 10-2.
They beat 3 10 win teams in the playoffs.
Post STA opponents overall record.

Yeah, like I said we play under the rules we have, been on this board for close to 15 years, we've done this dance and the FHSAA has only watched it get worse. STA is a great team, Carroll City is a great team, they'll win the State, Venice and Charlotte will appreciate the Regional titles and the beat goes on...

Non district was
Camden 4 GA state titles
Manatee 6 state championships
Coral Reef
And Booker.
They had riverview scheduled that was 10-2.
They beat 3 10 win teams in the playoffs.
Post STA opponents overall record.

The Venice schedule was a joke compared to many 7A teams that were out earlier than Venice and you have the audacity to try to sell this schedule to them! :D

They only had 4 games other than their district games.
They scheduled an out of state power and Manatee. You know Manatee

Yeah, like I said we play under the rules we have, been on this board for close to 15 years, we've done this dance and the FHSAA has only watched it get worse. STA is a great team, Carroll City is a great team, they'll win the State, Venice and Charlotte will appreciate the Regional titles and the beat goes on...

Perhaps a Division 1 and Division 2 based on metro area could be something to think about. I can honestly tell you that in Broward and Dade most of the stronger public football schools want to continue to play the private powers including STA.

Tarps have been playing a couple of Dade and Broward teams a year for a while now because of their stadium issues, pay them to travel here, don't have go there. North Miami we played Ft Lauderdale, was a wash out because of weather.

Well it kinda all makes sense now.. If the Venice faithful felt this was their best team ever for them to get blown out like that it must not be fair .

Now Venice beat Plant. pretty convincingly .

I can bet regardless of out come coach Weiner isnt gonna whoa is me cry.

That schedule probably had good intentions but unfortunately it ended up being cupcake and Venice was not battle tested. I think Plant is more battle tested at this point. They just have a huge talent deficit

Let's be real here, no BS. No where in America is there more football athletic talent, per square mile, then the Broward/Dade area ! Any fool who doubt's that fact isn't worth the time to educate them. Venice, very much like Mainland, undefeated and another small town power, ran in to teams that were bigger, stronger, and fasters. One was private, and the other was public. In any given year multiple south Florida teams can compete and or beat STA. And since when do we , all of the sudden , believe the hype of the player rating organizations. Player for player I'd say Carol City, Central, BTW, Northwestern, AH-P, match up pretty well with the starters on STA. And four of them are medium sized PUBLICS. Bitching, crying, and whining is one thing, being ignorant and blind is another.

Thanks for bringing that up, let's look at demographics. It's the crux of this argument that I made in my very first post to Oracle after his cocky ass talked about STA's "annual tune up" through the west coast, then we beat them. I think the phrase I used was "Our retirement community has more WWII Silver Star recipients than blue chip athletes"

Let's just say for the heck of it that NO schools in Florida recruited and had to play with the kids in their home area. It stands to reason that if you have more to draw from, from a younger population, you should have the advantage.

Venice

Ft Lauderdale
Yes there are other schools, but far more kids under the age of 18 (well, lets say 19 because I bet lots of those teams get into a jam with the 19yrs 9mo limit. Team we just played lost a kid a few weeks ago to that, two of our best just turned 17 three weeks ago - that has an impact too; I was half way through a 4-year career as a college starter when I was 19).

So can we agree that even without hand selecting your team, if you have more to choose from, you're probably going to get a better caliber athlete? The other night Carol City fans (a nice bunch by the way, I talked to a few and they were great - even Number 1's dad, a Horse as their WR committed to my Hurricanes) a few of them were looking at our 5'8" Guard trying to block their 6'4" #99 and were overheard saying "That kid must know all the plays to be in there." Nope, its because he's a tough little bastard and the best kid we could put out there at that position.

Look we can go on and on, these are the conditions the Tarpons play under and so be it. For me and my three Tarpon sons, we'd have all rather played with our homies, who we knew in Little League and grew up with, then go somewhere and win a State Title with people we had little connection to. We went as far as we could with the deck we were dealt and are pretty damn proud of it. Let's just not pretend it isn't what it is.
That's Kevaughn Dingle n I'm also excited about the young kid coming to the canes.. I tell you this SK . I live in Carol City. Closer to Norland but Carol City is like 5 mins away. LITTERALY!!! The city of Miami Gardens have 4 Lil league teams alone in their city imagin Miami Gardens only had Carol City as its only hs? Imagine what they would have and that's not including Miramar, American, Hallendale, Dr. Krop and Norland... Im pretty sure Charlotte does not have all these schools bunch up n
Let's be real here, no BS. No where in America is there more football athletic talent, per square mile, then the Broward/Dade area ! Any fool who doubt's that fact isn't worth the time to educate them. Venice, very much like Mainland, undefeated and another small town power, ran in to teams that were bigger, stronger, and fasters. One was private, and the other was public. In any given year multiple south Florida teams can compete and or beat STA. And since when do we , all of the sudden , believe the hype of the player rating organizations. Player for player I'd say Carol City, Central, BTW, Northwestern, AH-P, match up pretty well with the starters on STA. And four of them are medium sized PUBLICS. Bitching, crying, and whining is one thing, being ignorant and blind is another.
drops the mic and exits left!!!

40 d1s in 2 classes takes that to another level. Open your eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT