ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing Venice HBC is hitting it big, in the off-season portal.

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Lots of talent acquisition in and outside of Sarasota County.....

Manatee lost its DC to Sarasota HS, to become the HBC there.....

Reactions: MarkECannon
Hope Coach Phillips can create a strong culture at Sarasota. The Sailors lack of talent has not allowed them to field a complete competitive team for years. I know they made the playoffs and beat the Canes last year.

gatorman001, what can you tell us of Phillips?

Honestly, I'm way removed from having insights on what really goes on beyond the fenced and gated perimeter of Manatee HS. I know those that tend to insist on seeing things from a perspective of a glass 1/2 full rather than 1/2 empty, Had nothing but good things to say when he was hired at Manatee. To be fair I thought it a positive hire over what was there previously. Results over what I saw on the field were mixed, not sure what real impact he had on personnel decisions and the defense play as the season progressed......generally regressed rather than improved this past season.

I like his resume, but these days building a successful program goes way beyond just Xs and Os. Sarasota County is another one with a rather diverse youth football program, nothin at all like the days of everything being strictly Ringling Redskins. So he'll need to work overtime at building some bonds and influence there. You got Peacock basically lurring all the best county talent to Venice, Smithers at Riverview seems like he develops talent well, only to have Peacock eventually come along to pluck it away from him at some point.

Bottom line I season potential, just not convinced he's the guy to elevate the program when all is said and done?

Even though the Ringling Redskins was somewhat of a dinosaur it was still where you went to find the top talent in Sarasota. Parents loved it because the regular season was always at the Redskin field. They did not have to spend money and time traveling. Unfortunately the postseason opportunities were dwindling and it became difficult to find competition that matched age and weight class.

I was in a Redskin board meeting about 25 years ago and suggested the league join Pop Warner. It was shot down immediately. A decade later former Ringling Redskin players started forming their own Pop Warner programs which drained the Ringling Redskins of talent and funds. Now the Redskins are no more. Some of the people who ran these new programs found out it was not as easy to successfully run one and folded. The result of all this is many young football players are not being developed in Sarasota as in the past because of the lack of opportunities.

Even though the Ringling Redskins was somewhat of a dinosaur it was still where you went to find the top talent in Sarasota. Parents loved it because the regular season was always at the Redskin field. They did not have to spend money and time traveling. Unfortunately the postseason opportunities were dwindling and it became difficult to find competition that matched age and weight class.

I was in a Redskin board meeting about 25 years ago and suggested the league join Pop Warner. It was shot down immediately. A decade later former Ringling Redskin players started forming their own Pop Warner programs which drained the Ringling Redskins of talent and funds. Now the Redskins are no more. Some of the people who ran these new programs found out it was not as easy to successfully run one and folded. The result of all this is many young football players are not being developed in Sarasota as in the past because of the lack of opportunities.
Speaking of youth football, there is a abundance of youth football videos on youtube and one that got my attention and subsequently caused me to watch a number of there games was a U8 team from Port Charlotte this past season. I thought they very good at what they ran offensively and while not gifted like many of the teams teams they faced, they made up for with a great bunch gritty players! This game a regional championship against the Westchase Colts out of Tampa. The Tampa team apparently hadn't lost in 3 years, the game went to 5 OTs.

PC has a good YF organization. But man, they've got some size on those Colts. They look like Jethro Bowdine. But I bet you wouldn't want that #1 to break contain.

I'm curious how many kids who start this young will pick up bad habits from poor coaching and burn out before they reach high school. I only let my youngest play Pop Warner, and he won a national title. All three of mine had great high school careers; two were offered scholarships (service academy and an NAIA school). The third decided to get along with his firefighting career. Only a handful of their friends who played PW played in HS.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkECannon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT