ADVERTISEMENT

FWB HC

Published: Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 05:52 PM.

Last month, Athletic Director and Head Football Coach Mike Owens was told his services would no longer be needed at Fort Walton Beach High School. People are fired every day. In most cases, it's because they did something wrong. In this case, I believe, Owens was shown the door because he did something right.
In October 2014, Owens penned a letter to Superintendent of Schools Mary Beth Jackson expressing safety concerns and addressing the district's transfer policy. This letter followed an internal inquiry prompted by Owens into the transfer of several members of Fort Walton Beach's football team.
My guess is that when Owens put his name to that letter, he knew he was signing his own pink slip. I admire him for standing on principle while knowing his actions most likely would cost him his job.
Recruiting takes place on every level in every sport. My kids and I were approached by parents and coaches when they were barely 6 years old. The practice does not end when these student athletes reach high school. Coaches today are too savvy to be directly involved in the "recruiting" process. Current and former players, parents and boosters do their bidding.
Administrators would have to be either naive or ignorant not to realize that these elite athletes are influenced to transfer. They just choose to look the other way.
Mrs. Jackson and John Spolski, Fort Walton Beach's incoming principal, did not get rid of the problem. They just got rid of the only man with the integrity to bring the issue to light.

That's a shame! He was good coach and great guy.

Ft Walton got the short end of the stick when it came to specialty programs which allow kids to move between high schools. I don't even know what their speciality program is. That hurt them as far as drawing kids to their school. But, I'd like to see how many football players move then actually stay in those specialty programs. The curriculum is too hard for many athletes to maintain a high enough GPA. And I fully agree there is recruiting in Okaloosa County. One particular school has been recruiting incoming military dependents for years.

Well, there's an opening at Pensacola High!

Until they bring in a coach with vision and discipline for the program, nothing much will change at FWBHS. Many of their players are undisciplined wannabe thugs who talk the big talk but don't have the testosterone to work hard. The good players who want to excel recognize (as their parents do too) that excellence on the field begins with character development - which has been sorely lacking at the Dub - so they go elsewhere (Niceville and Choctaw).

Tommy Johnson played at Niceville and was on the '93 Alabama National Championship team. He played in the NFL with the Jags. EG Green would of been a good fit as well. Good Luck to Coach Johnson.

I've known Mike Owens for 20+ years. Great guy and excellent coach. I am sure there are a lot of FWB supporters who will miss him.

Having said that, I see the need for change. It is a fact that cannot be avoided in coaching. I will never understand, however, letting a coach go because his program is struggling and then hiring one of his assistants. This is especially true with someone who has a terrible record as a head coach, and at a place like FWB where I'm sure they attracted a lot of quality applicants.

I wish the new coach the best, but I don't understand it. Maybe the fix was in from the beginning. I have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT