ADVERTISEMENT

Fianl Four Predictions After WEEK 1

Bama
FSU
Houston
some team from the Big 10 ( it doesn't matter who but you know they'll put one in)

No, I went to Dr Dounchis. My surgeries are scheduled the week of Halloween.

STANFORD, because they PAC-12 won 10 NCAA titles last year and none of other less confrnces won more then 5

And Now you know what Sammy Say

Pretty much guarantee Stanford will lose one game, just comes down to who they get beat by. Beach volleyball titles don't mean too much on the gridiron.

To SK: Waaayy too early to be talkin Final Four. Get back to me after the Conference Championships.

To Choctaw_fan: Are they doing both knees at once? Full joint replacements? Depending on how fast a person heals and how dedicated they are in the rehab phase, full recovery for full joint replacements should take 5-8 weeks. You'll still be using a walker at Thanksgiving, but should be able put the walker away in a closet and rock & roll by Christmas.

Therapy will start just about as soon as you wake up from anesthesia. When they start moving your leg(s) around, you'll want to say, "You have to be kidding me", but just say to yourself, "Nu'Trelle done shot me straight."

Use plenty of ice therapy post-op clear thru all of your rehab. Don't be bashful about taking pain medication when it is offered. Stay ahead of the pain curve. Don't hold off until you're in agony because then you'll be unable to perform the range of motion maneuvers that they ask of you in rehab.

The passive motion machines (that s-l-o-w-l-y bend your knee) are key elements. Nu'Trelle spent 2 hrs twice a day with machines on both legs. Had to ask, they only strap you in once a day if you don't, but there were patients that was barely able to take consecutive steps with a walker when Nu'Trelle werereleased to go home.

Good luck with your surgeries. Hope things go as well for you as they did for me.

I've had plenty of time to prepare. I have been doing aerobic exercises in the pool to strengthen the knee muscles. If anyone has exercise suggestions, let me know. Also, I had a knee surgery in 1995 where they cut a growth off the front of the shin bone. I took little pain medicine and was on crutches for a week and then went back to work. I used the ice daily but didn't have the passive motion machine. I hope it helps this time.

They told me I could not drive for 4 weeks and wanted to put me in a rehab center but few are available for those not on Medicare. My son will be here to take care of me for two weeks so I hope to get off the narcotics before he's gone. I was told if you alternate the narcotics with Tylenol or Motrin, you ween yourself off them faster. I gave birth to twins with no pain medicine. I think I should be ok.

I have to tell you guys how lucky you all are. I have been exercising harder than I have in my life and I can't lose a pound. I have great looking, muscular legs now but the post-menopausal mid-section weight will not go away. I hope the new knees help!

I took little pain medicine and was on crutches for a week and then went back to work.
Here's a link to a helpful video covering the Top 5 post-op mistakes that total knee replacement patients make.

Number 2 on the list is the person who decides to emulate "John Wayne" and forego pain medication. Don't do it. There will be pain and there will be swelling. Staff at NCH will help you manage both. It won't take long -- probably 6-8 hours at most -- for you to realize the big difference that pain medication makes. If you're worried about addiction, talk to your Doctor pre-op. Few patients become addicts.

Staff will always ASK if you want medication for pain. No one will ever insist that you take anything. But therapists are going to try to straighten each one of your legs, then gently bend each knee backwards toward your hip. They're not going to ASK, they're going to INSIST that you work on increasing your range of motion. This will start soon after surgery to circumvent build-up of scar tissue that creates adhesions.

So if they ASK if you want medication, don't make the mistake of evaluating how you're feeling with your legs at rest. Think about the pain that will be involved when they start making you try to do things that seem impossible. Bending each knee another 3-5 degrees beyond what you think may be it's breaking point is critical to your recovery, but painful even WITH narcotics in your system. Once you've been undergoing therapy sessions for 3 or 4 days and have a real good idea of how far the therapists are going to push you, THEN think about weaning yourself off narcotic-based pain meds.

Bottom-line:
You're going into surgery to get out of pain and get part of your life back. Two things have to go right: (1) The surgeries, (2) your rehab. Pain will be involved in both parts, but it's temporary pain. If all goes well, you'll be asking yourself why you waited so long undergo surgery. It makes that much of a difference.

Thanks for the advise. The problem is the longer I am on the narcotics, the longer I can't drive. I go out for one meal a day just to get out of the house. I hate being home bound. Right after several of my surgeries, I took the meds but didn't need them for long.

Also, right now my left knee does not straighten and only bends to about 80 degrees. The right one is a little better but not much. I have to use a cane to get up because I can't get the legs behind me to put the weight on them. Any motion a therapist attempts will be much less painful than what I am experiencing right now. I'm ready for it. Can't wait until getting off the couch or in and out of the car is no longer a struggle. I might even get up and down the bleachers without a cane!

The problem is the longer I am on the narcotics, the longer I can't drive.
You should be off the heavy-duty stuff by the time your son leaves. They'll want you to go to 1 hour outpatient rehab sessions 3 days a week. You can set this up close to your home as there are plenty of facilities around Collier County. Not sure how soon your doctor will clear you to drive. You might want to line up a ride.

From what you said re: pain and limited range of motion, you must have a case of fairly severe arthritis in each joint. Successful surgeries will put you back in business. The deformed arthritic joints will be gone, replaced by brand new ones that will allow you to go back to living life again without the agony. I didn't feel like teenager again, but I was doing stairs as if I was 30 years old again.

Just be patient with things and don't try to go too fast. You got the right mindset. By December the pain you are now experiencing, will become a distant memory. Good luck.

Yup, the doctor said they were the worst knees he's ever seen. He said most people can't stand the pain to let them get this bad. He has no idea I've still been riding my recumbent tricycle or swimming every other day. I'm getting more exercise now than I ever did in my life.

... the doctor said they were the worst knees he's ever seen. He said most people can't stand the pain to let them get this bad.
Dr. Kapp called Nu'Trelle's right knee a 9.5 (10 being the worst he'd ever seen). On a visit to Nu'Trelle's room the morning after the first surgery, the Doc said, "You presented a real challenge for our team. My assistant is usually putting in staples 80 minutes after we make the initial incision. It took us over 2 hours to finish up your knee."

When Nu'Trelle asked when the joint should have been replaced, the Doc said, "Probably 8 to 10 years ago. How you withstood the pain is beyond me."

Worried about wrecking his kidneys, Nu'Trelle rarely even took an Advil. By the time he had the surgeries, he probably had no more than a 20 degree range of motion in his right knee. So he limped around and avoided using stairs for almost 20 years. Dumb decision, but finally rectified.

You got me beat! My range of motion is still much more. I never tried to wait too long except that I knew artificial knees used to last only 10 years and you can't have a second surgery. With medical advances, they now are supposed to last 20 years so I'm hoping they will be good until I die. Sometimes it pays to wait!

As a PTA I can tell you your first few visits of outpatient will be painful, it's focused on improving range of motion, whether it be flexion or extension, and that's usually done through passive motion. I also like to focus on improving strength through isometric work until your range improves then it goes to more active things such as squats, step ups, long arc quads. Generally with a TKA you will be looking at anywhere from 18-24 visits, if you are compliant with your home exercises! That's really the key!! Also all the pre work of bike and swimming are excellent for you later on, helps recover your strength that much quicker. Ambulation is also a big key post surgery, so walk as much as you can to help decrease the use of assisted devices. Good luck!!!

Alabama (and their Dyno raptor running back)
The other 3 teams don't matter (none of them will get with 21 points of bammer)

Hahaha SK, I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant, PTA. I'm also fortunate to work for a great company who allows me to also coach football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT