ADVERTISEMENT

EWF Honored

Neutral 0bserver

Sep 6, 2002
In case you missed it on CBS, the Kennedy Center honored a number of entertainers on Sunday night. Among them were Linda Ronstadt, Sally Field, Sesame Street and Nu'Trelle's all-time favorite band EWF. A variety of current pop artists recreated several of the band's biggest hits and the broadcast closed with all the stars collaborating on "September."

The last time Nu'Trelle saw EWF live was at Ruth Eckert Hall in Clearwater. The immortal Maurice White was still touring with them at the time. Their music truly changed the face of America during the 70's and 80's and their legacy endures.

Sadly, one of the bands biggest hits received no mention. Guess they just ran out of time. Here it is. This upload alone has over 13,500,000 plays on YouTube. It's Nu'Trelle's personal favorite. Enjoy.

Reactions: gatorman001
One of my all time favorite bands as well, I believe I must have worn out their "Gratitude" album I played it so much! They as a band and individually also collaborated with artist as well. I always liked this one they did with Ramsey Lewis:

Go Canes Go!

If you were into Sun Goddess (1974) when EWF shifted gears and produced something with a light-hearted Caribbean vibe, then surely you must have been ecstatic when Jay Beckenstine and Dave Samuels released this chart-buster just 5 years later. It still remains one of Spyro Gyra's all-time greatest hits.

And ... since we're talking "care-free, feel good" sounds, who could ever forget this 1977 classic?

If you were into Sun Goddess (1974) when EWF shifted gears and produced something with a light-hearted Caribbean vibe, then surely you must have been ecstatic when Jay Beckenstine and Dave Samuels released this chart-buster just 5 years later. It still remains one of Spyro Gyra's all-time greatest hits.

And ... since we're talking "care-free, feel good" sounds, who could ever forget this 1977 classic?

My ex was a trumpet player, and this was one of her favorites by Mangione.........Sliver and I have talked before about how during the late 70's and 80's Sarasota had a FM station "Quad 102.5 , station was around the 4000 block of Tamiami Trail in Sarasota- Home of the Wave" would play tunes like these all the time.....was basically the only station I listen to in my teens and 20's.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Used to listen to Chuck and his brother Gap back in the early 70’s. They put on two concerts at my high school in Rochester. Very popular locally way before the release of Feels So Good.
Funny, I was just reminiscing with my buddy about Chuck the other day.

In college, the brothers used to rent a downstairs banquet room, I was one of a couple of the white guys they'd invite, learned to love Harold Melvin and EWF at those, and to bust a few moves. Our DT, Craiger Mack who filtered down to us from Oklahoma used to DJ, then some of the Belle Glade brothers would (It was funny watching the clash of cultures between Belle Gade guys and the City brothers from places like KC). Fun damn times.

GM, 102.5 best station on the west coast of FL, lots of Steely Dan. The Harbor Light one of the DJ's would call it.

EWF, spent a lot of time in college dancing to them.

Good memories SK. White or black, that made no difference. If a person truly loved "soul", EWF was a very hard act to top ... and they've stood the test of time.

Reactions: Silver King
I couldn't have had a better time, blessed and know it. The other OT will be here in Feb., and we are having a team gathering in West Texas in June.

There are people who think they know all about me, but those who played alongside me in the projects when none of us had a pot to piss in know me best. Happy Holidays!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT