ADVERTISEMENT

Daytona wins * Bid * to host football championships

Dan in Daytona

Nov 20, 2008
The city of Daytona Beach's bid package was accepted over that of Orlando's offer to host the state championships for at least the next three seasons. However, the city and officials from the FHSAA still have 30 days to negotiate a final contract once Daytona receives the first draft from the FHSAA. If they can't come to an agreement then Orlando makes a counter offer. I believe the chances of that happening at this stage of the process are nil (ZERO). The city movers and shakers have decided they want the games and they we do what is needed ($$) to close the deal....Come on over, the 1st round is on me

Any news on if all the games will be on one weekend ?
Contract still needs to be accepted. Way to early for schedule thinking, riverrat1961. Hope the city's plans are better thought out then they were in the mid '90's. This needs to be first rate, no corners cut, or clueless traffic nightmares. FWIW, I'll be bending some ears very shortly. Mayor Derrick Henry( Buc, and Rollins College basketball star ) and his city commissioner brother Patrick, are both Mainland High grads. They are very accessible.... to this old man :)

Reactions: peezy28
Just hoping Dan, I would like to only take off work for 1 weekend and get see as many games as i can. I think the attendance would go up for all the games if they held them on one 3 day weekend when every team was in town.

Most all agree that a one weekend, Thursday-Saturday affair would be ideal for us fans. Not so sure that the city feels the same way, more days, more potential revenue... But lets just say it is held on one weekend:
Thurs- 1pm, 7pm
Fri- 1pm,4pm,7pm
Sat-1pm,4pm,7pm
NOW "Google Earth" Municipal Stadium, LPGA Blvd, Daytona Beach, Fl. Fly over the area from US92 ( west of I-95). The stadium has no turn lanes on either side. In and Out on the north and south sides of the complex is only accessible by TWO LANE LPGA Blvd. Parking is extremely limited. Father Lopez High School, directly across the street, is a MUST for this thing to have any chance for success with a one or two weekend affair. Several years ago, when Seabreeze High had a good team, their game with Mainland drew about 7-8 thousand. Cars were still backed up at half-time. ..All positive suggestions will be passed on to the proper authorities. Take a look from above (Google Earth). Three games in one day.... Pipe Dreams, a city planner, what do you think ??

Unless they add more teams to the lower classification playoffs, those championship games could not be held on the same weekend. Do you make the lower class take a week off because they have fewer games to the championship?

what stadium does BCU use?

Do they have time to build a new stadium?

Unless they add more teams to the lower classification playoffs, those championship games could not be held on the same weekend. Do you make the lower class take a week off because they have fewer games to the championship?

In Ga the smallest 2 classes have one less round. They don't play the first week of playoffs, so everyone plays on the same weekend

what stadium does BCU use?

Do they have time to build a new stadium?

This is the home stadium for BC-U, Mainland, and Seabreeze. No new stadium for football championships ! That was tongue-in-cheek wasn't it Tampa1 ? BC-U's 2015 Homecoming game had 12,000 plus in attendance. Cars lined the grass shoulder of two lane LPGA Blvd a 1/2 mile on both north and south sides of the stadium with no street lights in either direction with a 50mph road speed limit for through traffic. Check out sky view " Google Earth." No joke!

Reactions: peezy28
Most all agree that a one weekend, Thursday-Saturday affair would be ideal for us fans. Not so sure that the city feels the same way, more days, more potential revenue... But lets just say it is held on one weekend:
Thurs- 1pm, 7pm
Fri- 1pm,4pm,7pm
Sat-1pm,4pm,7pm
NOW "Google Earth" Municipal Stadium, LPGA Blvd, Daytona Beach, Fl. Fly over the area from US92 ( west of I-95). The stadium has no turn lanes on either side. In and Out on the north and south sides of the complex is only accessible by TWO LANE LPGA Blvd. Parking is extremely limited. Father Lopez High School, directly across the street, is a MUST for this thing to have any chance for success with a one or two weekend affair. Several years ago, when Seabreeze High had a good team, their game with Mainland drew about 7-8 thousand. Cars were still backed up at half-time. ..All positive suggestions will be passed on to the proper authorities. Take a look from above (Google Earth). Three games in one day.... Pipe Dreams, a city planner, what do you think ??

If parking is going to be such a problem then why would the FHSAA even consider this site for such an event?

Was parking great at the Citrus Bowl? I never thought so. And, I was afraid to park a few blocks away and walk because of the neighborhood.

The championships are 8 months away. Maybe they will find a way to build more parking lots!

Was parking great at the Citrus Bowl? I never thought so. And, I was afraid to park a few blocks away and walk because of the neighborhood.

The championships are 8 months away. Maybe they will find a way to build more parking lots!

I never had a problem getting parked and there was plenty of room at least for the first weekend, although I cant speak to the second weekend i did not attend.

I went to the games in 2005. Osceola was playing in the 8A game Saturday night. The traffic was so bad, I couldn't get anywhere near the stadium. We went back to the hotel and watched it on TV.

Weren't the state title games played at Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami in 2005? I wouldn't think that the traffic would be that much of a problem at an NFL stadium.

Then it must have been 2006 or 2007. My son was going to U of F at the time. I met him in Gainesville then we drove down to Orlando.

then I would say a plan should be put into place to add parking near the stadium or set up shuttles from the college

Choctaw_fan, there no reason to worry bout parkin a few blocks from the Citrus Bowl. Just bring you a few 30 round magazines.

Then it had to be 2007 Choctaw Fan. Kissimmee Osceola lost to the Fort Lauderdale All-Star team in the 7A final at the Citrus Bowl in 2007. I have always heard that the game was extremely well-officiated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT