ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations

nhseaglesmom

Jan 10, 2004
I would like to wish a heart felt congratulations to all the young men who will be inking their name on the dotted line tomorrow to play college football. Your ability to do so is a testament to all your hard work, no matter what level you will be playing at next year. I would also like to extend that same sentiment to the parents, families, and coaches of those guys. You have put in the work as well. Enjoy the moment, because after that the work begins again.

Academics first. There is a wealth of knowledge out there. I found that I learned just about as much from my peers (the ones who were really into it) as I did from my professors.

It's crazy how passing can be easy if you just apply yourself. I know some people are not naturally gifted at, say...math, but there are core fundamentals that your professors will be excellent at explaining. Take advantage of the fact that you have access to the athletic/academic areas and take advantage of free time.

Don't surround yourself with a bad crew. Lots of people will want to be a part of what you are doing ONLY because you are on the football team. That's life. Don't let an ego develop....stay humble.

Use your judgment and be open to new types of people... take advantage of relationships with students in your core area. Example: If you are an architecture student, start a side rapport with older TA's in the architecture and planning schools. They'll be in big positions by the time you graduate.

People change in college. I'll be candid - lots of hard drugs, parties, etc. Choose wisely who you surround yourself with...but have fun. Don't give in to pressure... you obviously have a lot going for you, and people at home count on you. Choose wisely... you represent your university.

That's what I would say.

One side rant... I'm not sure I like what NSD has become. If I ever saw the #1 recruit in the country I wouldn't ask him where he was going. They get that enough... what they need more of is real advice on how to succeed.

Many of these kids are going to schools where the average student has a 1900-2000 SAT.
The degree puts you on that level...get the degree.

-
This post was edited on 2/3 4:21 PM by Pipe Dreams

And parents, I hope the recruits give you a heartfelt thank you. You've done well. Congratulations to all of you!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT