ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Salary

gatorman-uf

Jul 28, 2006
Just curious, but how much do coaches earn in terms of salary/supplement beyond the base teacher salary?
I think two counties pay them as administrators (Bay and Okaloosa)?
But do Booster Clubs contribute more than just what the school board gives?

Walton hires head football coaches as athletic directors also, at administrative pay grades. Pretty sure Okaloosa pay is best in the state.

Booster clubs usually buy equipment not in the normal budget. They usually can't pay salaries because donations are not always guaranteed. Equipment gifts are tax deductible. I'm pretty certain salary supplements are not.

Originally posted by Choctaw_fan:
Booster clubs usually buy equipment not in the normal budget. They usually can't pay salaries because donations are not always guaranteed. Equipment gifts are tax deductible. I'm pretty certain salary supplements are not.
Boosters help more than what the schools are able to do. Boosters and their donations from the larger corporations are the best thing for high schools, mainly the smaller county schools because most of the time the funds received from the gate goes to help other sport programs.

A great example is in our county Mosaic has donated $400,000 towards new visitor bleachers, painting the stadium and finally going to resurface the track (I can't remember the last time we had a track meet here). Its hard for schools like ours to come up with a huge price tag like that and I know a lot of people are grateful for what they are doing.

When our previous HC stepped down after the 2006 season this was his priority and he started a boosters named Hardee Athletic Foundation. He took what he knew this county needed and he has built a great boosters for ALL the kids in this county.

As for salaries they vary from county to county. I do know Hardee takes good care of their Coaches from what I've read on the salaries.

Someone a few years back posted the link to a site that had the salaries of all the public high school coaches in Florida, and I think Okaloosa and Walton county coaches were the highest paid in the state.

I posted that link but it was from the Tampa Tribune which is now defunct. I think the TBO link has the same information in a different format

Don’t get me wrong I don’t blame one person if they leave for more money… Georgia pays well and I don’t understand why Florida pay is twice as low!! Florida has more tourism but the lack of taxes on food is what hurts this state…

Don’t get me wrong I don’t blame one person if they leave for more money… Georgia pays well and I don’t understand why Florida pay is twice as low!! Florida has more tourism but the lack of taxes on food is what hurts this state…
You want to tax food, as in the kind you buy in the supermarket? You sure aren't a friend of the poor!

It's embarrassingly low. A complete slap in the face for the time we devote. My buddy left Broward County, where his stipend was roughly $1500, and is now coaching in GA where he's getting 10k.

Someone a few years back posted the link to a site that had the salaries of all the public high school coaches in Florida, and I think Okaloosa and Walton county coaches were the highest paid in the state.

Okaloosa and Walton's head football coaches are also the athletic directors and teach no classes, and I have no doubt they are the highest paid in the state at 90k+. Okaloosa's head coaches also get a brand new Silverado from the local dealership.

As a guy who has coached in 3 states I can say no one does it better then Georgia. I literally had a house on a lake that I paid a reduced mortgage on (350 a month), got a 10,000 dollar supplement (as an assistant), and never paid for a meal in town. I'm in the business world now but if you are a coach GA is definately the state.

Reactions: peezy28
You want to tax food, as in the kind you buy in the supermarket? You sure aren't a friend of the poor!

Well seeing how some of the “poor” are able to purchase Shrimp and Ribeye steak with their EBT cards I’m sure they could afford a 1% tax on food, or should I say the state could afford the tax....

Was researching and found a list of salaries from Georgia:

1. Buford City, $64,636.33
  2. Fayette County, $61,037.79
  3. State Charter Schools- Mountain Education Charter High School, $60,742.66
  4. Walton County, $60,022.63
  5. Cherokee County, $59,085.91
  6. Atlanta Public Schools, $58,964.85
  7. Marietta City, $58,919.37
  8. Cartersville City, $58,908.32
  9. Pickens County, $58,476.06
  10. Cobb County, $58,424.94

This is without stipend!!!

Here’s a good article some may find interesting:

https://bridgetotomorrow.wordpress....-teacher-salaries-–-the-rest-of-the-story/amp/

Last edited:
Well seeing how some of the “poor” are able to purchase Shrimp and Ribeye steak with their EBT cards I’m sure they could afford a 1% tax on food, or should I say the state could afford the tax....
Not denying some do. But these are most def in the minority. Most EBT is used to buy the very basics. Besides, what about the working poor that don't qualify for EBT. YOU would be pushing them off the deck right there with the tax on food!

Georgia and Texas are the states to coach at if you want to get paid justly for the time you put it.

Reactions: peezy28
Not denying some do. But these are most def in the minority. Most EBT is used to buy the very basics. Besides, what about the working poor that don't qualify for EBT. YOU would be pushing them off the deck right there with the tax on food!

Georgia doesn’t have this problem and they have a high percentage of these poor folks you speak about……

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT