ADVERTISEMENT

Coach hot about transfers

307mac

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2009
Umatilla coach Ryan Mills was not happy after Clearwater Calvary Christian shut out his squad by a lopsided score of 51-0 Friday night, but his ire was not directed at his players.

Mills was upset that Clearwater, which was projected to be an even match for Umatilla, apparently seeded its roster with eight “stud” transfers to tip the scales mightily.

“At the time we scheduled this game, this was a team that was supposed to be young and matched up well with us, and then you start looking at game film and you say, something’s changed,” Mills said. “We’re in trouble.”

Mills said his team will be OK, and he expects to have some success this season, but the new FHSAA rules that liberalize student transfers have left a bad taste in his mouth.

“That’s one thing I will not do,” he said. “I will lose every game before I go out and recruit someone else’s players. I have more integrity than that.”

Mills said his team will be OK, and he expects to have some success this season, but the new FHSAA rules that liberalize student transfers have left a bad taste in his mouth ... (Mills) said. “I will lose every game before I go out and recruit someone else’s players. I have more integrity than that.”
Coach Mills isn't the only one who's grappling with the effects today's HS athletes being able to legally become free agents. What's the answer? When it becomes legal to mark the deck, get up from the card table. When it becomes legal to roll loaded dice, walk away from the craps table. When it becomes legal to cheat at ANY game, the only logical answer is to QUIT PLAYING until the rules are changed to eliminate unscrupulous practices.

While Nu'Trelle applauds Coach Mills for stating that he will never compromise his integrity to play the game of football, he needs to recognize the fact that this position puts him and his team at a very serious disadvantage.

Years ago Integrity was a virtue that was once highly regarded and admired. We were taught from earliest childhood that it was "a sin to tell a lie." We learned before we could read or write that "honesty was the best policy", but that has changed dramatically. Integrity at this point has become a burden that a person must bear.

Witness what just happened at Ohio State.

Reactions: jgking83
Between 1983 and 1995, five of the area’s nine schools (Navarre had yet to field a football team) won a state title. Baker won four championships (1983-1985, 1993) and Fort Walton Beach won two (1991, 1995). Walton won it all in 1985, Niceville busted through in 1988 and Choctaw followed in 1990.

Parity existed. The Daily News’ football teams had a seat at the Sunshine State’s state championship table.

Flash forward to present day, and thanks to a number of factors, the only seat area teams currently have is at the children’s Thanksgiving table. A 23-year state title drought will do that.

Niceville’s John Hicks, like most other area coaches, believes the relaxed transfer rules are to blame.

“The way things are structured now, where anyone can go anywhere and teams down South are taking advantage, I just don’t know (if the drought) will end soon,” Hicks said. “It’s really tough. It will take an awfully talented team to do it.

“You saw what happened to St. Augustine last year. That was a really good team that took care of our area. They couldn’t even compete after that.”

With the Rattlers’ season beginning in one month with its kickoff classic against Trinity Catholic on Aug. 24, Mike Kelly turned in his resignation Tuesday, leaving BHS athletic director Brian Fennewald scrambling to find a replacement head coach with fall practice set to begin on July 30.

“The easy/short answer to why Mike stepped down is with all of these new transfer rules set in place, it has made coaching at the high school level more about recruiting than coaching, and he doesn’t want to play that game,” Fennewald said.

“I do not blame him at all for leaving,” Fennewald said. “He spent so much time with his players, molding and shaping them into respectable young men. And now, most of them are gone. We have had 11 starters from our spring game leave the program and are now at other schools.”

Fennewald announced on his Twitter account on Tuesday, “Head football coach Michael Kelly has stepped down. Belleview would like to thank Coach Kelly for the two years that he was involved in our program. Coach Kelly was extremely passionate about helping Belleview athletes and he will be missed.”

It's so bad, IMG is recruiting the best players even the panhandle and parents are that desperate to get a scholarship for their kids. It's really sad!

Can’t blame the lawmakers for trying to even the playing field for public schools as we all know how private schools recruits and shuffle players around from one private school like a deck of cards!!!

Easy fix is to allow private schools to recruit whoever they want, even pay them, just totally separate private schools sports from public and then force public schools to go back to the policies that was working before they created these issues!!

Reactions: jgking83
H.S. football as it was contested in the 80 and 90's is long gone. This is 2018. Dreams of state titles for 95 percent of all high schools are simply that. Dreams.

It is completely unrealistic to have expectations of going all the way unless your roster has been assembled with area allstars ... and sometimes even that isn't good enough if you run up against a school whose boosters have the ability to come up with statewide or, better yet, National recruits.

And things aren't going to change. No chance at all. The horse is out of the barn.

The popularity of football - at all levels - will ultimately bear the brunt of how the game has been mishandled. Years of unfairness and indescretion won't sell with decent folks. Even many people like me and you who once played and embraced the game will quit caring.

Worries about CTE and a myriad of other dibitating injuries aren't going to go away anytime soon. Concerned parents in the suburbs, who prayed their son wouldn't want to play, might go to a football game if they have a kid in the band, assuming the school still fields a football team.

College fans are under no obligation to keep spending their money to support the game. One female reporter last week said she hadn't watched an NFL game live for two years and now she was "done on Saturday's too". Another guy hosting a college fb call-in show said words to the effect of "Don't call in and tell me you're outraged by what Urban Meyer did. I don't want to hear about it. Urban Meyer is not a good guy and you shouldn't have expected that he would be. He's being paid millions of dollars to win football games. If you're looking for nice, sensitive, caring people then stay out of football stadiums."

He was right.

On a professional level, what else needs to be said? Wife-beaters. Drug abusers. And now, people who refuse to stand-up and honor our veterans and the American flag. There are two sports bars in Ft. Myers who've announced that they will no longer display NFL games on their premises. Nu'Trelle plans to go spend money to support each one of them on opening Sunday.

So where does it all go from here? The same place that water runs. Downhill. It'll take time, but gradual abandonment of the game is totally predictable and inevitable. Decent people will not stay involved.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
Years ago Integrity was a virtue that was once highly regarded and admired. We were taught from earliest childhood that it was "a sin to tell a lie." We learned before we could read or write that "honesty was the best policy", but that has changed dramatically. Integrity at this point has become a burden that a person must bear.

One of your best paragraphs ever.

Umatilla coach Ryan Mills was not happy after Clearwater Calvary Christian shut out his squad by a lopsided score of 51-0 Friday night, but his ire was not directed at his players.

Mills was upset that Clearwater, which was projected to be an even match for Umatilla, apparently seeded its roster with eight “stud” transfers to tip the scales mightily.

“At the time we scheduled this game, this was a team that was supposed to be young and matched up well with us, and then you start looking at game film and you say, something’s changed,” Mills said. “We’re in trouble.”

Mills said his team will be OK, and he expects to have some success this season, but the new FHSAA rules that liberalize student transfers have left a bad taste in his mouth.

“That’s one thing I will not do,” he said. “I will lose every game before I go out and recruit someone else’s players. I have more integrity than that.”

LMAO, Calvary did not by any means get 8 STUD players LMAO I guess that coaches idea of a stud and mine are different LMAO. Pretty sure it was only like 2 players both just decent... Last year different story but that was not the case this year... I am not saying he does not have a point but this coach is clearly making an excuse for getting blasted and some of the coaches quitting to me are just quitters because really they just quit on their kids who they were supposedly trying to mold into men... Well they just learned when the going gets tough you quit from their coach IMO.

Last edited:
Separate private from public. Four public classes and two private. You can't transfer without sitting a year unless your entire family moves into a new school district.

I don't care about the arguments against it.

This isn't just for football either. All sports should be governed like this. Maybe the class sizes differ based on the sport, but the same rules should apply.

Like Nu'Trelle said, I don't care about the game anymore. I want to, but it's gotten out of hand.

Separate private from public. Four public classes and two private. You can't transfer without sitting a year unless your entire family moves into a new school district.

This isn't just for football either. All sports should be governed like this. Maybe the class sizes differ based on the sport, but the same rules should apply.

Like Nu'Trelle said, I don't care about the game anymore. I want to, but it's gotten out of hand.

I'd be in favor of putting a limit on transfers, and a limit by class. The more transfers, the higher in classification you go.

Killing the Golden Goose: A lesson in life

Way back in 1926, dog racing started in St. Pete. They called the place Derby Lane.

Spectators came, watched and bet. Some of them won. Most of them lost. The track made their income by running the game. They removed a given percentage from the wagering pool from each race, paid a purse percentage to the dog owners, gave a fixed percentage to the State and kept the rest.

The game was fun and exciting. It wasn't long until thousands of people were flocking to wager.

It didn't take long for a second track to open. By the early 70's, there were roughly 100 greyhound tracks in the U.S. Owning one of the akin to being able to print money. More people poured through their turnstyles each year than the 3 major professional sports put together.

Nu'Trelle saw his first greyhound race in 1974. The takeout percentage was 14 percent. A good handicapper could win. Not every race. Not every night. But over the course of a season, you could overcome the 14% takeout and turn a profit. Nu'Trelle knew people who made quite a bit (wink).

Turn the clock forward to 2018. A few dogtracks are still open, but very few people go to gamble on greyhound races. They go there to play poker. Dogtracks won the right to have card rooms, but the State requires them to run a given number of dog races throughout the year to keep their license.

A stakes-grade sprint race is still one of the most exciting 30 seconds you'll ever see in sports, but no one cares. The $2 dollar bettor quit coming and the sport gradually, but inevitably died.

With all that as a preface, you might ask "Why?" No problem. Here's the answer.

States that allowed dog racing saw that it was a "cash cow" for track operators. So one by one, they enacted legislation to raise their percentage. The tracks cried foul, saying they couldn't afford to take any additional money out of their share. So it was decided that the bettors would have to accept a smaller piece of the pie..

Problem solved. Done deal. Back to printing more money. Here comes sparky! Right?

So takeout percentages increased almost annually. The State expected they could collect millions more in taxes with each bump. The tracks didn't care. They weren't footing the bill.

It was the bigger gamblers who first saw the handwriting on the wall. With the takeout percentage at 25 percent by the early 90's, we looked around and saw that most of the regulars - even the die-hards - were M.I.A. The game they had all wrestled with for years, mostly in a love-hate relationship, had busted them out one by one.

If there's a dog handicapper in the world who can manage to overcome a 25% takeout on a day-to-day basis, Nu'Trelle woud like to shake his hand.

Game. Set. Match. Unbelieveably, it was over.

The game that had resulted in billions of dollars in revenue for State coffers and track operators alike was finally dead. And the pathetic part of the story was that their combined ineptitude was the cause of death. State officials and track owners were too stupid to recognize the fact that they were systematically destroying the very people who had always kept the game alive.

So what's all this happy horsesh--t got to do with the thread, you ask?

The people who are running the game of H.S. football here in FL have allowed the train to jump the tracks. Probably not by intention, but certainly by design, they created serious inequity by changing rules to allow players to pick their team.

The people at the wheel don't have the friggin common sense to realize that 100 or 150 players who are good enough to be ranked on Rivals.com have little or nothing to do with the survival of H.S. football. You can't run the game with 150 or 200 players. Or 300. Or even 500.

It'll always take thousands and thousands to keep the game alive and well. The only way we can hope to keep that many kids and coaches involved is to make sure that the average kid can at least "pretend" that his team has at least some kind of hope to compete.

Letting kids decide which team they want to play on is precisely how to destroy the game in the shortest possible amount of time. It is absolutely amazing to Nu'Trelle that the average well-meaning parent or fan finds it impossible to see the damn handwriting on the wall.

If the game isn't rescued fast, if it stays it's present course, it will assuredly die. Cause of death will be easy to figure. Two words. Pick one. Disgust. Disinterest.

Reactions: jgking83 and Hwy17
LMAO, Calvary did not by any means get 8 STUD players LMAO I guess that coaches idea of a stud and mine are different LMAO. Pretty sure it was only like 2 players both just decent... Last year different story but that was not the case this year... I am not saying he does not have a point but this coach is clearly making an excuse for getting blasted and some of the coaches quitting to me are just quitters because really they just quit on their kids who they were supposedly trying to mold into men... Well they just learned when the going gets tough you quit from their coach IMO.

you haven't seen Umatilla lately. If they had arms and legs they are studs.

some of the coaches quitting to me are just quitters because really they just quit on their kids who they were supposedly trying to mold into men... Well they just learned when the going gets tough you quit from their coach IMO.
Nu'Trelle knows nothing about Mike Kelly, the HC who resigned up at Belleville H.S. Maybe peezy is 100% right. Maybe the guy's simply a quitter. You never know.

But whoever wrote the article pointed out that 11 kids who started in the spring practice game decided to transfer out. Even if none of the 11 were two-way starters, that's a whole lotta shoes to fill.

Based on what the Belleville AD had to say abut Kelly, Nu'Trelle's initial reaction - and this is strictly a guess - is that Kelly's reason for resigning was that the guy had reached his limit. As the number of defectors climbed higher and higher, he probably grew increasingly disgusted and finally threw in the towel.

So in this instance peezy and Nu'Trelle disagree on who quit who. Nu'Trelle doesn't think Kelly intended to quit his team. The 11 or more players who walked out did the quitting. They left their Coach high and dry. They left the rest of their teammates high and dry.

So who's to blame? Those who transferred? Nope. They now have that right. Piss poor leadership is to blame.

We've already seen the term "common sense" used 4 or 5 times in this thread. Clearly the people who effectively decided to allow H.S. players the freedom to go play a sport wherever they wanted didn't have one lick of common sense.

Unrestricted free agency doesn't work in any team sport. It always promotes a pooling of talent. Whenever that happens to any great degree, you can kiss competition goodbye. And that my friends is why H.S. football is officially on life support at this juncture.

With that said, Nu'Trelle would not expect a majority of people to agree.

I'd be cool with this.

you haven't seen Umatilla lately. If they had arms and legs they are studs.
They should have never scheduled a private school then that is on them. Calvary is by no means a top team in 3A but yes compared to a small town school they probably look like giants and world beaters.

Nu'Trelle knows nothing about Mike Kelly, the HC who resigned up at Belleville H.S. Maybe peezy is 100% right. Maybe the guy's simply a quitter. You never know.

But whoever wrote the article pointed out that 11 kids who started in the spring practice game decided to transfer out. Even if none of the 11 were two-way starters, that's a whole lotta shoes to fill.

Based on what the Belleville AD had to say abut Kelly, Nu'Trelle's initial reaction - and this is strictly a guess - is that Kelly's reason for resigning was that the guy had reached his limit. As the number of defectors climbed higher and higher, he probably grew increasingly disgusted and finally threw in the towel.

So in this instance peezy and Nu'Trelle disagree on who quit who. Nu'Trelle doesn't think Kelly intended to quit his team. The 11 or more players who walked out did the quitting. They left their Coach high and dry. They left the rest of their teammates high and dry.

So who's to blame? Those who transferred? Nope. They now have that right. Piss poor leadership is to blame.

We've already seen the term "common sense" used 4 or 5 times in this thread. Clearly the people who effectively decided to allow H.S. players the freedom to go play a sport wherever they wanted didn't have one lick of common sense.

Unrestricted free agency doesn't work in any team sport. It always promotes a pooling of talent. Whenever that happens to any great degree, you can kiss competition goodbye. And that my friends is why H.S. football is officially on life support at this juncture.

With that said, Nu'Trelle would not expect a majority of people to agree.

Nuet, while I still believe the coach quit on his remaining players I agree with you on the kids quitting on coach and team and who is responsible... But I disagree wit hHS Football being on life support... It will be around longer after you are gone my friend.

If anything it will be the concussions and CTE that will do the most damage to high school football... It will have nothing to do with kids transferring.

... I disagree with HS Football being on life support ... It will be around longer after you are gone my friend. If anything it will be the concussions and CTE that will do the most damage to high school football ... It will have nothing to do with kids transferring.
Losing talent to transfer (read "free agency") has already wrankled a lot of coaches, but these guys haven't seen anything yet. You haven't either. Not one has seen the real impact. The new rules are stll in their infancy, peezy. As the old expression goes, "We've only seen the tip of the iceberg."

The fact of the matter is that the rich will keep getting richer and richer and richer. And that, in direct contradiction to your remarks, will have EVERYTHING to do with transfers.

Refute that statement it if you wish, but ask yourself if you can answer "Yes" to the following question:

"In your WILDEST dreams, can you imagine that any top-ranked H.S. underclassman will ever sit down and announce "I know (insert name of USA Today Top 25 program) wants me to transfer there, but an 0-11 team less than a mile from here could use my help. So I've decided to transfer there to see if I can make a difference."

(Nu'Trelle will wait for peezy and other readers to stop laughing and get up off the floor)

Tell you what peezy, here's the deal. Nu'Trelle will put it in his will that if one ... just ONE ... blue-chip H.S. football player anywhere in the United States in your lifetime ever transfers to an 0-11 team to help them level the playing field, you can contact Silver King (or any one of three sons if SK is also kicked the bucket) to have Nu'Trelle's body exumed.

When you open the lid on the casket, there will be an envelope containing some Franklins and a short note. The note will say:

"Peezy, turn out you was right. In fack, you usually was right. Please keep the money and have them put me back ... and burn this damn note."

Last edited:
Reactions: Hwy17
Losing talent to transfer (read "free agency") has already wrankled a lot of coaches, but these guys haven't seen anything yet. You haven't either. Not one has seen the real impact. The new rules are stll in their infancy, peezy. As the old expression goes, "We've only seen the tip of the iceberg."

The fact of the matter is that the rich will keep getting richer and richer and richer. And that, in direct contradiction to your remarks, will have EVERYTHING to do with transfers.

Refute that statement it if you wish, but ask yourself if you can answer "Yes" to the following question:

"In your WILDEST dreams, can you imagine that any top-ranked H.S. underclassman will ever sit down and announce "I know (insert name of USA Today Top 25 program) wants me to transfer there, but an 0-11 team less than a mile from here could use my help. So I've decided to transfer there to see if I can make a difference."

(Nu'Trelle will wait for peezy and other readers to stop laughing and get up off the floor)

Tell you what peezy, here's the deal. Nu'Trelle will put it in his will that if one ... just ONE ... blue-chip H.S. football player anywhere in the United States in your lifetime ever transfers to an 0-11 team to help them level the playing field, you can contact Silver King (or any one of three sons if SK is also kicked the bucket) to have Nu'Trelle's body exumed.

When you open the lid on the casket, there will be an envelope containing some Franklins and a short note. The note will say:

"Peezy, turn out you was right. In fack, you usually was right. Please keep the money and have them put me back ... and burn this damn note."
Ty Berrong 6'3" 220 Soph.,LB transfers from 2017 8A playoff contender Port Orange Spruce Creek (8-2) to 5A Port Orange Atlantic (0-10). Berrong has offers from Florida, North Carolina. SK, got the coffin nails, is it time ?

BAKER – Considering Baker’s track record, any team that draws Matt Brunson’s attention is worthy of an eyebrow raise.

Despite finishing 4-5 last year – including a 34-13 loss to Baker – and missing the playoffs, Vernon has done just that. But why exactly?

Transfers, voiced the Gators coach, have a lot to do with it.

In the offseason Vernon welcomed Freeport 2,000-yard back K’wan Powell, Graceville’s best lineman and four Walton transfers. Powell has an offer on the table from Florida State University.

“They’ve made the best personnel moves, the best offseason player acquisitions in the Panhandle,” said Brunson, whose Gators welcome Vernon to Doug Griffith Memorial Stadium Friday night at 7.

2 seasons ago when John Brantley was the coach at Belleview, 16 of their starters were transfers, Brantley resigns, Kelly hired, transfers hang around 1 fall and spring under Kelly and all leave. The kids that left weren't theirs anyways.

I never said a blue chip will ever transfer to an 0-11 team.. There will always be teams that suck... I played on an 0-10 myself... Did that stop me from wanting to come back and play the next year nope...we won 1 game next year but were competitive in most and I would have came back again if I was not a Sr..

Football will still go on... Teams will be good... Teams will suck... If anything stops high school football hit will be the safety issues not the transfer issues... My alma mater is currently on like a 40 game losing streak and still filling out a roster.

Ty Berrong 6'3" 220 Soph.,LB transfers from 2017 8A playoff contender Port Orange Spruce Creek (8-2) to 5A Port Orange Atlantic (0-10). Berrong has offers from Florida, North Carolina. SK, got the coffin nails, is it time ?
Where's my Franklins LMAAO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT