ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte 7-28 Palmetto Ridge

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
I believe we lost our center two weeks ago, and it caught up to the Tarps last night - bad snaps accounted for a very Rona Year like anomaly; four (4) stafties and a touchdown - that just has to be some sort of a record. That's 15 points and field position all night. Our D held them to 6 points till into the 3rd, then with all that field position and leaving them out there, they put it away.

Still given a new staff, new system, the Tarpons won a game or two more than I thought at 7-3 and had a shot at every game they played in but let a couple of early slow starts do them in. Next year we will return a lot, but will need to replace a pretty tough running QB.

You may be right about that being a record, I believe I may have put the QB under center after the 3rd bad snap that led to points.

I still think as a coach once I realize I'm screwed attempting a punt, I come up with something that allows me to by-pass the traditional center snap to the punter...........that's a lot of bad snaps to just keep sending out my guys out there to do what they've already shown they cant do successfully on at least that night.

* Although I know with watching Manatee the last 2 years, the OC continues to roll his left handed QB out to the right......despite having seen him on multiple occasions over the last 2 years, not being particularly good at throwing the ball across his body............

I'm wasnt there, was just getting stuff relayed to me, so I'm not exactly sure. But they're not going to go for it on 4th from the other team's redzone. They probaly kept thinking it wasn't going to happen again, and the odds just beat them down this time. The best alternative would be not going three and out in the shadow of your end zone.

I'm guessing this was the back-up and they got caught without another long-snapper alternative.

I was the back up longsnapper in HS and college - only had to do it a few times, never had a problem. We always had the starter, the back-up and then someone who could always do it in a pinch - usually a hands guy like a WR. Two of my sons (OLB and TE/S) snapped for Charlotte and only bounced one in five years. The oldest started as C and was back-up LS.

I'm guessing next season they'll have a couple of options to use in an emergency -

I woulda put the punter under center (after making sure the center was wearing at least one cup).

If the ultimate goal is to have some semblance of a successful punt, without having to also put special emphasis on how many protective cups the center needs to wear..........I can think of at least a couple of options that wouldn't require an increase safety concern related to how many cups a young man might need to wear.

Nu'Trelle would still put the punter under center. If officials would not allow the center to wear more than one cup, he would have Silver King work with him an teach him how to "fire out" after making the exchange.

You may not know this, but SK always had them quick feets. The man were so quick he could make Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly look like they was standin in wet cement. Nomsayin?

An how many O-Linemens could get away wiff wearin a pair of 6 inch green plaid platforms to a Club? Back in the day, they say youngs wimmens in Dodge would take one look at how quick SK's feet was an pass the h3ll out.

Nu'Trelle would loved to witness all this, but he hisself was under great personal duress in Clubs here in SW FL at the time. Such was the way of the mid-70's. It's truly a miracle Nu'Trelle survived.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT