ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte 58-8 Port Charlotte

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
The Pirates came in fired up as they always do. Tarps helped them with a couple turnovers on their first two possessions. Pirates got a touchdown drive and 2 point conversion. Then the wheels fell off.

Saw more crazy things is this game then I can remember; Their punter had a snap go over his head, gets the ball around the 20 and facing away from the direction he was intending to kick, decides to kick it out of the back of his endzone - pretty good punt too.

Running clock 5 minutes into the 3rd. Tarps win the district with authority. Jeb Bush got to see his 2nd Tarpon District title clinching game in as many viewings: 2004 and 2015. Curious to see how the Fish fare against Palmetto next week.

Last edited:
I saw the score and wondered how it got so bad. At least your second string got some playing time before the playoffs and some seniors got their last taste of high school football. That punt was one for the record books!

Is there any explanation why Jeb was there? Is he originally from that area or just a campaign stop?

The Palmetto game should be a yawn for you, leading up to the playoffs the following week.

Go Canes Go!

Gatorman - pretty similar games last night. Choc, Gov Bush came to see an exciting Tarpon football team that may have a long shot chance of playing Niceville...

No, he spoke in front of Charlotte High a week after Charley destroyed it. He made a statement it was a school with a proud tradition and great football team and promised us those of us there that day, he would be our partner in rebuilding. He also promised that he'd return to watch a football game - we got our stadium back in shape for two games, he was there for the Port Charlotte game which was also for the District, flipped the coin His staff contacted me a while back about filming some clips about the hurricane, we did that 3 weeks ago - one of his aides said he really enjoyed being there in 2004, claimed it was one of the things he thinks back on. Think they're probably going to make a sound bite clip with some background for a future add.

Yes, this was part of his campaign, he "pre-gamed" (gave a speech) with the local republican party in a church lot next to the stadium. Then came and watched some of the game from our side and then walked over to the Port Charlotte side. It was political but a fun thing on a football Friday night in 'Merica. The fans and kids all loved it.

Glad he made a good impression back in 2004 and last night. I really wish he would campaign on what he did while governor during such difficult times. Apparently, his advisors don't think that's important.

We evacuated to Naples in October during Hurricane Ivan. I remember crossing the bridge over the Peace River and seeing all the damage. It was unbelievable. Of course, when I got back home, the panhandle had lots of damage, also. Those storms did major damage to that football season, also. It was my son's senior year and they ended up playing on 8 games which included a playoff game. Choctaw had already suffered the loss of Bowden Madden (Bobby Bowden's grandson) in an auto accident. It was a tough year for our town.

I am so glad there hasn't been a major storm in several years. Hopefully, the trend will continue for several more!

Reactions: Silver King
I don't see Charlotte having any issues with Palmetto this week. In my opinion (which holds little weight) Charlotte is one of the top 3 teams in the area. (Braden River 1a, Charlotte 1b, and Manatee right behind). Palmetto has some good skill kids but I'm not sure that D is going to be able to stop that Charlotte Offense at all.

We'll see, they are going to be highly motivated after a tough draw of a schedule this season. I was pretty impressed with their effort against Manatee earlier in the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT